Kodi doesn't always start Pi4 LE 10.0.1

• Hi there,

I installed a Pi4 with a 1080p Phillips TV a few weeks ago. The Pi always starts there without any problems.

At least I didn't notice any problem. I hung a new Hisense 4K TV on the PI for Christmas. There I always have the problem that the PI doesn't always start.

It boots up, flashes green and then sends a signal to the television where only Libeelec (official) 10.0.1 appears in the top left corner.

But I can connect to the Pi via SSH. If I shut down the Pi a few times from the mains and restart it, Kodi also starts at some point and the Pi can be used as usual. Here are the logs from the boat when it doesn't work.

What I also noticed when I stop and restart Kodi via SSH, Kodi starts as usual and without any problems. :/

Help me, it's the PI / TV from my 9 year old daughter who got the whole TV & PI system for Christmas. THANK YOU :thumbup: <3

Link to Kodi LOG:

Code
    http://ix.io/3JKx

Edited once, last by Manemm (December 28, 2021 at 2:12 PM).

• Go to Best Answer
  • Hi there,

the behavior does not change when I use some other HDMI cables.

Yes, my Pi4 works exclusively via WiFi. If he has the problem while booting, I just stop and restart the KODI process.

Then everything works fine.

• Yes, the option was active and the waiting time was set to 10 seconds. So far it has booted perfectly in my tests.

I will continue to observe and then report.

Thanks for the hint :)

• Hi there,

it doesn't matter how I set the "wait for the network" function. I can deactivate the function or set the time to 40 seconds. The behavior remains the same.

What I was able to find out, however, is that Kodi must already be running in the background. I change the channel by remote control and I also hear a sound from the TV program. If I restart the Kodi process via SSH, Kodi then works fine

• Hi there, what does this message mean in the journalctl edition? This is written as endless if the problem persists.

Code
    Jan 09 10:54:08 Kodi-Lena kodi.sh[772]: Attempt to import unsupported winsys offset 2611200
    Jan 09 10:54:08 Kodi-Lena kodi.sh[772]: Attempt to import unsupported winsys offset 2611200

After systemctl restart kodi

From this point on, I also see a picture.

Many greetings, Manemm

• Hi there,

so I noticed that if I turn on the TV first and then the PI, Kodi always starts properly. But as soon as I leave the TV off and start the PI, it doesn't work. The Pi then starts the TV via CEC and there is only the white writing at the top left with Libreelec 10....

Perhaps this is an approach to solve the problem.

• so I noticed that if I turn on the TV first and then the PI, Kodi always starts properly. But as soon as I leave the TV off and start the PI, it doesn't work. The Pi then starts the TV via CEC and there is only the white writing at the top left with Libreelec 10....

Some displays don't allow resolutions supported (edid) to be read when powered off, or to determine the device is connected (hotplug). Some do.

You can use "getedid create" from wiki to store the edid to a file, and allow TV/Pi to be powered in either order.

• ...the behavior does not change when I use some other HDMI cables.

Please be precise here - look at the specs, if you find them somewhere. We already had a lot of users, who had the same issue when switch to a 4K TV. So make sure you are using an HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 cable. Those are ready for 4K data rate.

• Buying "Ultra High Speed Certified" cables will reduce a lot of hassle and they are not that high priced, i have 5 or 6 of those 1-3 meters and i payed 10-15 euros.

• Some displays don't allow resolutions supported (edid) to be read when powered off, or to determine the device is connected (hotplug). Some do.

You can use "getedid create" from wiki to store the edid to a file, and allow TV/Pi to be powered in either order.

Great, thank you very much. It seems like that was the solution.

In case someone has the same problem, here is the solution I did:

1. Turn on TV + Pi so Kodi is running.

Code
    getedid create

HDMI-A-1

Code
    cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid > /storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid.bin

HDMI-A-2

Code
    cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-2/edid > /storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid.bin
    Code
    cd ~
    mkdir -p cpio/lib/firmware/edid
    cp .config/firmware/edid/edid.bin cpio/lib/firmware/edid/
    cd cpio/
    find . -print | cpio -ov -H newc > ../edid.dat
    mount -o remount,rw /flash
    mv ../edid.dat /flash

Finally, add the following entry to /flash/config.txt:

Code
    hdmi_edid_file=1
  • I'm facing a similar problem with an old TV as described by thread author. Additional symptom is that unplugging and reattaching the HDMI cable during Kodi operation results in black screen until Kodi is restarted. I will try above procedure tomorrow and see if it helps.

I'm a bit curious why EDID needs to be stored in two places:

- /flash/edid.dat

- /storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid.bin

The first one will be used by firmware during boot and the second one is for kernel?

• Oh nevermind the above procedure is outdated. Anyway getedid create correctly dumped EDID and setup files in /flash for booting with it. No manual steps needed and everything works now. But I still don't understand why kernel needs such assistance: is this RPi limitation or faulty TV?