Installing nightly build...

• So I'm trying to install a nightly (for the first time) to see if it will fix a problem with my IR receiver crashing.

I went to https://test.libreelec.tv/ and downloaded LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-11.0-nightly-20211205-03893cb.img.gz and put it in my ~/.update directory. It was installed on the next reboot and the system rebooted...

...and the system never came up. It stayed on the booting screen saying it was loading the nightly (probably for a couple minutes) and then just rebooted. I let it do this through a couple reboots and then remotely uploaded my previous working image (LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-10.0.1.img) and the system unpacked it and things got back to normal (after initially booting into a safe mode).

Was I unlucky and just download a bad build? Or did I miss something?

• thats the way it should work, maybe a broken build, maybe a broken download, maybe a different problem

you can replace the SYSTEM and KERNEL file at your harddrive manually and it should boot again

• Thanks. I'll try the next few nightlies and cross my fingers.

I'll keep the SYSTEM and KERNEL files from 10.0.1 handy in case it doesn't work. They should upload faster than the whole .img. 😁

• what happens when you put the *.tar in ~/.update/ ?

wasn't the *.gz for creating a usb stick only ?

anyway: *.03893cb.tar works here

+++ EDIT +++

GDPR-7, you're an idiot and should have read the wiki ... 8o

Edited once, last by GDPR-7 (December 5, 2021 at 7:31 PM).

• what happens when you put the *.tar in ~/.update/ ?

wasn't the *.gz for creating a usb stick only ?

anyway: *.03893cb.tar works here

Just put the LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-11.0-nightly-20211205-03893cb.tar in ~/.update and ran into the same problem. It hangs on the boot at LibreELEC (community): nightly-20211205-03893cb line for a couple minutes and then reboots itself.

• something up with your downloaded file ?

maybe the following could help:

1. ssh into LE

2. cd ~/.update

3. key in: wget <copy-paste the link from the image here> [1]

4. reboot

after 2cd reboot: ssh into LE again

=>

"...

LibreELEC (community): nightly-20211205-03893cb (Generic.x86_64)

"

no ?

[1]

on

Index of /

- key in "gen" in the textbox to see only generic's

- right click on the *.tar

- in firefox: "copy link"

===

in case you want install new /nightly from scratch:

be aware: backup before and move the backup offline !

- fetch LE Release and install it as usual

- after 1st boot switch on ssh

- ssh into LE

- same as above see "2. cd ..."

- run "systemctl stop kodi"

- run "rm -fr /storage/.kodi"

- reboot

• I'm not seeing anythng in the issue report that says it is an older Atom/ION machine? - but if iit was, ION = nVidia and there is no support for nVidia GPUs in LE11 'Generic' images so you'd need to self-compile the 'Generic_Legacy' version (while this is still possible).

• I'm not seeing anythng in the issue report that says it is an older Atom/ION machine? - but if iit was, ION = nVidia and there is no support for nVidia GPUs in LE11 'Generic' images so you'd need to self-compile the 'Generic_Legacy' version (while this is still possible).

Yes, this is an older computer. Here's a link to it from Amazon. It's an Intel Atom D525 with nVidia Ion graphics.

So I guess it's not supported by the default builds? That makes some sense. :-/