Librelec Matrix 10.0.1 freezes randomly when playing video

• Hello,

I have regular system crashes (no restart, just system freeze with inability to IP ping the HTPC ) when playing video files. For Librelec Krypton and Jarvis the same video files ran just fine, no system crashes whatsoever. I`m pasting the url for the logfile:

2021-12-02 06:32:14.237 T:864 INFO <general>: ----------------------------- - Pastebin.com
    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.
    pastebin.com

Can you please help?

Thanks

• Go to Best Answer
  • I had random freezes with my box before, but I have J1900 CPU (so, also Celeron class). Solution was to disable power features through GRUB while booting kernel. It was something with Intel drivers for my older onboard GPU.

I had to add

Code
    intel_idle.max_cstate=1 

just before quiet part in grub configuration.

Now it looks like this:

Code
    linux /KERNEL boot=UUID=CE26-0DB0 disk=UUID=34708cb6-02b0-4ad8-a35a-86d044ee0998 intel_idle.max_cstate=1 quiet

You can try.

• Same issue when "pass-through" is activated on LE's audio settings?

Thanks for the tip - I`ll try it out. I have an update regarding freeze events as now it freezes regardless whether it plays video or audio (system lives when no media content is being played).

• I have an update regarding freeze events as now it freezes regardless whether it plays video or audio (system lives when no media content is being played).

This changes my theory. Now I guess the wrong graphics driver was loaded:

Code
    2021-12-02 06:32:16.216 T:864     DEBUG <general>: libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
    2021-12-02 06:32:16.216 T:864     DEBUG <general>: libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_11
    2021-12-02 06:32:16.216 T:864     ERROR <general>: libva error: /usr/lib/dri/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
    2021-12-02 06:32:16.216 T:864     DEBUG <general>: libva info: va_openDriver() returns 1
    2021-12-02 06:32:16.217 T:864     DEBUG <general>: libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    2021-12-02 06:32:16.217 T:864     DEBUG <general>: libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_11
    2021-12-02 06:32:16.219 T:864     DEBUG <general>: libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
  • Update: After some dev conversation, it turned out that the above behavior is normal. It's very likely not the cause of system freezes.

Please rule out local network issues. To do so, disable network shares, and play something from USB.

• Update: After some dev conversation, it turned out that the above behavior is normal. It's very likely not the cause of system freezes.

Please rule out local network issues. To do so, disable network shares, and play something from USB.

Thanks for your efforts to solve my issue.

I guess I own you some info/configuration that freezes(beside hw info you see in the log):

System is htpc that for error testing is retrieving media from usb hdd connected directly. The audio is sent (i believe) in pcm format to my integrated amplifier which does the DAC functionality. The signal is sent from htpc to the amplifier via usb cable ( in the audio settings connection choice is alsa: amp name, usb inte, s/spdif)

I have checked settings in system/audio for the passthrough and regardless what the settings (passthrough enabled/disabled, output device is equal to passthrough, output device is usb inte; s/spdif and passthrough is digital).

Currently, system didn't freeze (by accident?) when audio settings were set back to defaults.

Please let me know if you need more info about the specs and settings as I don't want to overload you now.

• Try to play this again:

Code
    2021-12-02 06:33:00.143 T:923      INFO <general>: ffmpeg[0x3a1b8e0X]: Input #0, mpeg, from '/var/media/ziggy_DATA/mov/MUSIK LIVE/Megadeth - Bl-ood in the Water/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO':
    2021-12-02 06:33:00.143 T:923      INFO <general>: ffmpeg[0x3a1b8e0X]:   Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
    2021-12-02 06:33:00.143 T:923      INFO <general>: GetVideoAspectRatio - Aspect wanted: 3, Scale permissions: 2
    2021-12-02 06:33:00.144 T:923      INFO <general>: Opening stream: 1 source: 512
    2021-12-02 06:33:00.144 T:923      INFO <general>: GetVideoAspectRatio - Aspect wanted: 3, Scale permissions: 2
    2021-12-02 06:33:00.144 T:923      INFO <general>: Opening stream: 0 source: 512
    2021-12-02 06:33:00.144 T:923      INFO <general>: Finding audio codec for: 0
    2021-12-02 06:33:00.144 T:923     DEBUG <general>: CDVDAudioCodecFFmpeg::Open() Unable to find codec 0
    2021-12-02 06:33:00.144 T:923     ERROR <general>: Unsupported audio codec

Maybe you have to re-rip the DVD with different audio settings. Also make sure you are using only two output channels on LE's audio settings.

PS: "Bl-ood" word edited to avoid automatic forum censorship.

• Hello, I don't think the re-coding would help since also because video/audio content crashes regardless of the format so far. Also, playing the same files was errorless while watching in Jarvis for example. I would go back to Jarvis if all the settings and content would be kept.

My backup plan is to use the hw for custom NAS and buy a new HW to do clean install of latest librelec/htpc solution on this more up to date components.

• Sorry to hear that. If the suggestion from itisljar doesn't help, then you could buy something like this: RE: Intel true 10bits/HEVC/HDR support... ?

Thanks for your effort to help me. However this could be the "last resort" since I still like my silverstone case (it` is visually matched to my other audio components) and also I do have a bluray drive inside (though playing bluray discs in such configuration is a challenge for another forum :) . I`ll try to do somthing with power saving regimes as itisljar suggested (thanks itisljar for the suggestion, I`ve missed it somehow). So time to refresh my ssh skills :)

• I`ve checked the BIOS config and disabled speedstep - system freezes. Then cleared CMOS and left the default values there - system freezes. Now, I`m trying to get to the GRUB config, however can`t find it , or no string with "grub" in the filesystem (logged in via ssh as a root and hopefully lloking at root folder). Thing is that before the system was running 100% OK for 4 years straight so if I subtract HW issue, then it must be related with Libreelec Matrix. I` m going back to Jarvis/Leia or will try some other media center to see if it hangs also.

• Now, I`m trying to get to the GRUB config, however can`t find it , or no string with "grub" in the filesystem (logged in via ssh as a root and hopefully lloking at root folder).

I don't use LE on Intel, but normally the config file should be at /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

• Thanks a lot, I believe I'm not ahead of myself & tests, but the system is stable when playing audio/video content after appending the boot line as suggested by itisljar in syslinux as mglae suggested. Thanks a lot again!