HDMI CEC not working in 10.0.1 (RPi4), works just fine with 9.2.8 (Rpi3)

• Hello everyone,

As the title says, I have both a Raspberry PI 3 and 4, HDMI CEC works perfectly fine with 9.2.8 in my RPi 3 but it doesn't with 10.0.1 in my RPi 4.

I used the same TV (Phililps43PFG5101/77), same HDMI cable, same everything.

I also see the following UI messages right after booting up:

- 9.2.8 (RPi3)
    Kodi pop-up:
    "Pulse-Eight CEC adapter: Connecting to Pulse-Eight CEC adapter"

"Pulse-Eight CEC adapter: Connected TV"

TV pop-up:
    "RC Pass-trhough Active"

- 10.0.1 (RPi4)
    Kodi pop-up:
    "Pulse-Eight CEC adapter: Connecting to Pulse-Eight CEC adapter"

TV pop-up:
    *nothing*

I also tried 9.2.8 in my RPi 4 but it doesn't work either.

Also, I don't know if this is related or not, but LibreELEC only seems to work with the HDMI port next to the power input.
    It seems that port is HDMI-A-2 and not HDMI-A-1 which is strange... unless this refers to the TV ports, which in this case I'm using "HDMI-2".

Code
    libreelec:~ # cat /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/enabled
    disabled
    libreelec:~ # cat /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/status
    disconnected
    libreelec:~ # cat /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-2/enabled
    enabled
    libreelec:~ # cat /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-2/status
    connected

Please tell me which logs to attach in order to assist debugging.

Thanks.

Edited 3 times, last by itaranto (November 27, 2021 at 7:24 PM).

• You have to use the first HDMI port (labelled HDMI0 on RPi4 PCB, HDMI-A-1 in linux), the second port supports CEC, too, but libcec (which is used by kodi) doesn't support it, it's hardwired to the first one without a possibility to change that...

so long,

Hias

• You have to use the first HDMI port (labelled HDMI0 on RPi4 PCB, HDMI-A-1 in linux), the second port supports CEC, too, but libcec (which is used by kodi) doesn't support it, it's hardwired to the first one without a possibility to change that...

so long,

Hias

OK, that may be the root cause of my issue, nevertheless LibreELEC only works on HDMI-A-2 for me, I don't know why.

I remember being able to enable HDMI-A-1 by adding video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60D into cmdline.txt but I have no idea why that worked, I don't know what the "D" stands for.

Does anybody know what could be causing my system not work with HDMI-A-1?

It is a clean install BTW...

Regarding the confusion about the ports: HDMI-A-2 is next to the power input in my setup because I use the Argon One case, Duh! That's why they look "inverted".

Edited once, last by itaranto (November 27, 2021 at 10:13 PM).

• Slightly unrelated update:

The setting video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60 video=HDMI-A-2:1920x1080@60 leaves my system with no sound! I even tried with video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60D video=HDMI-A-2:1920x1080@60D with the same result.

Removing those settings brings back the sound again.

I was also reading some posts about the Argon One Pi 4 V2 case which is the one I use, and it seems to be related with the sound issue:

Eagle5966
    March 7, 2021 at 9:20 AM

I believe the best would be to return it.

• try without the Argon One case to rule out soldering issues

The problem is that I don't have a micro HDMI adapter, I still got till the end of the month to return the Argon Case.

Maybe I can get an adapter to test before that.

make sure you are using an HDMI 2.0 / 2.1 cable, because RPi 4 data rate is higher than on RPi 3

I tried with a thicker cable, one that came with a gamer monitor, I think that should be enough. I didn't change anything though.

Thanks.

• Good idea. You can also use a magnifier to check the soldering points.

I was the f* Argon Case... I bought a micro HDMI cable and now the RPi4 works out of the box using the HDMI-1 port and HDMI-CEC works exactly like my RPi3.

So now you know, don't buy the Argon One Case. Or any case that replaces the original ports for that matter.

Edited once, last by itaranto (December 1, 2021 at 4:23 PM).