Libre Elec 10.0 Standby/wakeup not working

• Hi everyone,

after using LibreElec for some years now, I recently upgraded to version 10, because most of the addons weren't working with the 9.2 version any more.

I am running this on an old Zotac PC Intel Atom D525 which I used up to now without problems.

Unfortunately when using Version 10 waking up from standby doesn't work any more. In fact the machine freezes when waking up and all I can do ist popo.

I would be happy to get any suggestions how to proceed to solve the problem.

TIA

Umtauscher

• I'm seeing the same issue, Acer Revo 3700, also using the same Intel Atom CPU. Same symptoms, doesn't come out of standby and just hangs.

I have second instance on another Acer Revo that seems to be OK though

• It seems S3 / Standby is seriously messed up on PC platforms on 10.01 as well.

I just got a new mini PC (intel Celeron platform) and started the live system from the USB stick to test the standby function before reformatting the ssd.

This time, Standby simply doesn't work either. The screen goes blank and then immediately comes back online when I try to put it in standby via the shutdon menue.

What should I do? Just go mack to the previous Version 9.x?

I'm at a loss.

Cheers

• Please let me know, when there is a chance 10 ist working.

I just tested my Intel box with LE 10.0.1 with suspend, and that worked as designed.

The suspend is most likely a Linux kernel thing AFAIK, but unless something magically happens in the upcoming v5.15 kernel, you're probably not gonna get rid of the suspend issue. It has happened before from time to time. The problem: both your devices are by now basically part of the prehistoric category. I myself still have a D525/Nvidia Atom device that is collecting dust now. With a SSD it can still be pretty nifty.

Your only workaround for now: just power down completely or let it run. LibreELEC really doesn't take long to boot up anyway. Or get some hardware that is more consistent with the 21st century.

• Thats what I was doing the last few weeks. Unfortunately the keyboard / flirc cannot switch it on, when it is shutdown (S5)

The new miniPC I tried today is brandnew btw.

• I'm also just upgraded to 10.0.1 generic, and suspend / wakeup no longer works on my Zotac Atom D525 box. Same sympoms as reported above. (Interestingly, pings to the box still work when it's hung, but SSH/video don't.) Even tried the potential workaround posted here to no avail. I think the system was already running legacy NVIDIA, anyway.

To Klojum's point: I realize that a volunteer project such as LibreELEC, especially one built on external open source projects like the Linux kernel, can't support every conceivable hardware configuration for all time. Still, this "regression" is super disappointing for those of us with older machines that have plenty of life left and have been running older versions of LibreELEC flawlessly for years—including suspending and waking up. And in regards to a full power down, that doesn't support wake-on-lan (AFAIK), so it's way less convenient especially if the hardware is tucked away somewhere. I'd love not to landfill a perfectly working piece of hardware just because the software has outpaced it. Seems like such a waste. Avoiding this waste is one of the reasons I'm running Linux to begin with!

So I'm interested to see whether the next Linux kernel magically fixes this. Also interested in hearing from anyone who has a fix or work-around for this issue!

• WakeOnLan is supposed to work even when the machine was fully powered down (without its power cable disconnected temporarily). But not every machine/motherboard is built the same. Some of my PCs support WoL that way, but others don't.

I also had suspend issues with (much) earlier LibreELEC releases, there is not much you can do but to pull Linus Torvalds' vest and ask him nicely to have another look at the kernel. Or perhaps post a bug report on the Linux kernel pages.

• Reporting back here for anyone else with a Zotac box: I managed to get wake on lan working even when powered down! I'm not exactly sure which setting it was in the BIOS (I changed several), but it might've been the one for restoring power to last state. Unrelated to that, I did try changing suspend mode from Auto to S1 in the BIOS in the hopes that it'd fix suspend, but that most definitely did not work.

• The suspend is most likely a Linux kernel thing AFAIK, but unless something magically happens in the upcoming v5.15 kernel

on a Rocket Lake box with wifi/BT compiled as module box does not suspend with 5.15.y, but does with 5.14.y

letting the wifi/BT modules off the 5.15.y kernel box suspends.

seems to be a regression.

a kernel bug report is in work ...