Raspberry Pi4 HDMI Sound

• Hi,

I have the Raspberry PI4 with LibreElec V10. The Raspi is connected via HDMI1 with my screen and via HDMI0 with my soundbar (Nubert A250, HDMI ARC).

In my settings in LibreElec I can only choose audio for HDMI1:

ALSA: vc4-hdmi1, MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0

ALSA: vc4-hdmi-1, DEL DELL P2419HC on HDMI

PULSE: Default, Bluetooth Audio (Pulseaudio)

How can I use the second HDMI ? How can I activate it for sound?

Regards
    lnix

Edited once, last by lnix (September 28, 2021 at 12:58 PM).

• That is my setup too (one HDMI is TV, the other is soundbar)

-Are playing DTS or Dolby audio? Make sure you have passthrough active.

-On your soundbar you might need to change to a differnet output to get sound. Mine defeaults to 'TV' but audio is coming out through the other HDMI.

• I tried to activate passthrough in LibreElec, but it's only activate for HDMI1 and not hdmi0.

I can find hdmi0 with aplay -l

raspberrykodi:~ # aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: vc4hdmi0 [vc4-hdmi-0], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 1: vc4hdmi1 [vc4-hdmi-1], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]

Subdevices: 0/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

But it isn't show up in LibreElec settings on Audio.

• ok, I tried it to switch the ports. Now I can choose only HDMI 0:

ALSA: Default (vc4-hdmi-0 MAI PCM i2s-hifi0)()

ALSA: vc4-hdmi-0 MAI PCM i2s-hifi0()

ALSA: vc4-hdmi-0 (vc4hdmi0), MAI PCM i2s-hifo-0

ALSA: vc4-hdmi-0 (vc4hdmi0), DEL DELL P2419HC on HDMI

PULSE: DEFAULT, Bluetooth Audio (PULSEAUDIO)

I can't choose HDMI1.

Here is my config (

flash/config.txt)

hdmi_force_hotplug:0=1

hdmi_force_hotplug:1=1

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

hdmi_drive:0=2

hdmi_drive:1=2

hdmi_drive=2

hdmi_group=1

hdmi_mode=16

hdmi_force_edid_audio:0=1

lnix

• You can't do HDMI settings at config.txt since LE 10. I don't think those settings could fix the issue, anyway.

Something is fishy with your soundbar. Maybe a driver issue.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • at the moment the Nubert AS125 is connecting to my pi4. The Nubert AS125 has one HDMI-ARC Port and 1 Tosklink, 1 sub out etc. But only one HDMI Port.

I don't understand modtest. Here is the log

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Modetest shows the second HDMI is unconnected:

Code
    40  0   disconnected    HDMI-A-2        0x0     0   39

If your soundbar only has an HDMI-ARC port then most likely you must connect it to an ARC capable port on your TV, connecting it to an HDMI port of the RPi probably won't work - check the documentation of your soundbar.

so long,

Hias

• The RPi -> TV (Samsung Frame Connect Box) -> Soundbar is possible for watching films and for music. But it is not possible to hearing music via airplay without switch on the tv. For this reason I had this plan:

Video: Rpi -> TV -> HDMI Switch --> Soundbar

Audio: Rpi -> HDMI Switch --> Soundbar

If I play music via airplay the soundbar will switch on automatically. If I watch tv the soundbar will switch on automatically.

Yes, the frame has airplay too, but airplay is not possible with the Samsung Frame Art Mode....

Via TOSLink I have to switch the source between Hdmi and toslink. This is not automatically.

Any ideas?

• Hi Inix,

before you spend some Money on a HiFiBerry I suggest you should try the following:

1. Your Nubert Speaker have an ARC-HDMI Port.

On Page 9 in the German Manual to your Speakers it says that CEC and HDMI ARC on your TV must be enabled to made the HDMI-Port of the speakers work.

The Raspberry didn't have an HDMI-ARC Port, but did you enable the CEC-Funktion in LibreELEC/Kodi ?

I don't use CEC but as far as I know you can find the Setttings under "System" -> "Input" -> "Peripherals"

2. Did you use the right HDMI-Cable ?

Don't use any Adaptor from Micro-HDMI to HDMI - Use a cable like this (from your screenshot I assume that you are from Germany or another German speaking County, so this is a Link to a German Webpage)

offizielles Raspberry Pi 4 Micro HDMI Kabel, schwarz, 2,0m | offizielles Raspberry Pi 4 Micro HDMI Kabel, schwarz, 2,0m | HDMI Kabel & Adapter | Kabel & Adapter | Raspberry Pi Computer | Raspberry Pi | BerryBase

I know you did this before, but please try again:

3. Connect the HDMI-Port right beside the USB-(Power)-Port (HDMI 0?) to your TV

4. Connect the other HDMI-Port (HDMI 1?) to your Nubert Speakers.

5. This is very important:

a) First turn on your Nubert-Speakers

b) Than turn on your Raspberry Pi4

c) And at last turn on your TV

6. Now check if you can select your Speakers in LibreELEC/Kodi

7. If you can't get a Picture on your TV or can't select your Speakers turn off the Raspberry, the TV and the Speakers

8. Switch the HDMI-Cables - The Port beside the USB-(Power)-Port to your Nubert-Speakers and the other one to the TV.

9. Now go back to Point 5 & 6 above

10. If this doesn't work either why not try an older Version (9.2.8) of LibreElec ?`

Yon can find the Download here:

LibreELEC Raspberry - LibreELEC

11. If this doesn't work too you can still buy a HiFiBerry

Oh, and by the way:

The Nubert "nuBox" A-125 is no "Soundbar".

It's only a pair of Stereo-Speakers with an HDMI-Input.

Look here (sorry it's in German)

Aktivlautsprecher nuBox A-125 von Nubert

They only work with a "PCM" Stereo Signal (Highest level is 24 bit / 192 kHz)

(You can read about that in the Manual)

They can't handle things like Dolby Digital, Dolby True HD DTS or Atmos.

So in the Kodi "Audio Settings" you have to disable "Passthrough" and set "Number of Channels" to "2"

Edited 5 times, last by Niceguy (October 1, 2021 at 1:52 PM).

• They only work with a "PCM" Stereo Signal (Highest level is 24 bit / 192 kHz)

(You can read about that in the Manual)

They can't handle things like Dolby Digital, Dolby True HD DTS or Atmos.

So in the Kodi "Audio Settings" you have to disable "Passthrough" and set "Number of Channels" to "2"

Thanks for the info. That's the same sampling rate like the HiFiBerry Digi+. It means, lnix doesn't have to switch among HDMI and TOSLink, because HDMI transmission has no benefit for the speakers. He wants to hear music with TV switched off, so I think the HiFiBerry isn't a bad idea.