Odroid HC4 harddrives head parking

• Hi, I've got HC4 (and I'm using LE image for HC4) recently and I noticed ugly HDD squeak when I reboot HC4 or shut it down. It is like the HDD heads aren't parked properly before the power is cut to the HDD. has someone else noticed it either? it's fresh new NAS version of Seagate.

how can I fix that before I lose the drive to some failure? /shrug

• has someone else noticed it either?

I've never been at your home, so that answer is a simple no.

If this squeaky noise happens while the HC4 is connected or not, I'd start making backups of whatever you find important.

it's fresh new NAS version of Seagate

Such new versions can have software bloopers as well, although squeaky noises tend to point to hardware problems IMO.

I've never been at your home, so that answer is a simple no.

this supposed to be fun? ok...

I'm sure the drive is ok. it's not happening in regular PC (and no, I'm not looking for another pseudofun comment that then I suppose to put it there). in fact I did more reboots and shutdowns and I see that during shutdowns it happens only rarely, but it always happens during reboot. so it must be the fact that the heads aren't parked before the power is cut to the drive. same happens on HC4 with one spare 2.5" drive I have and tested it.

now I don't know if you're developer or just person trying to be fun on the forum, but I asked people who are developing this image for HC4, if they may check in underlaying Linux core if all is alright with drive management or if there are any suggestions I should try to solve the behavior on my end.

• I don't think you'll get dev support for this, because it's a rare issue, and you didn't named your NAS. We are usually pretty precise on this forum.

Search for an option to program a short suspend time from another OS (look at the Seagate download page). A suspend mode can stop rotation (spin-down), and no proper heads parking will be necessary.

• this supposed to be fun?

Yes... and no, it's a simple observation. The chances of someone here having the exact same Seagate NAS device setup are rather slim. The parking of HDD heads is a hardware thing, and should only involve the HDD's own firmware. If "outside software" could make the parking of the heads of a HDD go bad in anyway, that would actually be a security/data risk and not only a major foolproof problem.

Have you googled for 'squeaky noises on parking hdd disks" already? Also, even fresh new HDDs can have problems. I got my disks at the store, so they wouldn't be "manhandled" by the transportation services of the likes of DHL and UPS.

• I don't think you'll get dev support for this, because it's a rare issue, and you didn't named your NAS. We are usually pretty precise on this forum.

Search for an option to program a short suspend time from another OS (look at the Seagate download page). A suspend mode can stop rotation (spin-down), and no proper heads parking will be necessary.

Good suggestion. I'll try to search internet for any options to change those options of hard drives in Linux and will come back if I find out anything. if I don't find anything, I guess I'll have to accept the risk that the drives will fail one day.
    And I use HC4 as my NAS. people buy regular NAS boxes to server as home NAS and additionally they use PLEX and other multimedia plugins to emulate HTPC. so I went cheaper way. I bought HC4 as my low cost home NAS and except that the source for DVB-T tuner streaming to home NW.

Yes... and no, it's a simple observation. The chances of someone here having the exact same Seagate NAS device setup are rather slim. The parking of HDD heads is a hardware thing, and should only involve the HDD's own firmware. If "outside software" could make the parking of the heads of a HDD go bad in anyway, that would actually be a security/data risk and not only a major foolproof problem.

Have you googled for 'squeaky noises on parking hdd disks" already? Also, even fresh new HDDs can have problems. I got my disks at the store, so they wouldn't be "manhandled" by the transportation services of the likes of DHL and UPS.

Sorry I was irritated, but it doesn't seem funny from my end to possibly lose my data if there might be a solution that could prevent it. I'm not Linux guy, I'm Windows guy. I know that Linux is heavily manually customizable in regards to HW. that's why I asked if some Linux expert here isn't aware of any option in Linux, something like "don't do anything unless you get confirmation from drive that it successfully parked its heads". that's all. I know I supposed to buy regular NAS to have kind of disaster proof solution to store personal data, but I chose cheaper HC4 option to have simple home NAS and combine it with KODI, to even save energy.

Edited once, last by toml: Merged a post created by toml into this post. (August 24, 2021 at 8:34 AM).

• Linux does have tools that can influence when heads are parked, but only during a spindown. I don't think it can determine HOW the heads are moved/parked. For example, see here hdparm - ArchWiki

Again, the drives are inside a Seagate NAS. That NAS has its own OS that commands the internal drive(s), including a spindown. It's not LibreELEC doing that. LibreELEC is usually keeping a NAS awake because it checks on changes within movie or tv source folders.

The only other option would be that the current HDDs are incompatible with your NAS, but Seagate should be able to tell you that.

• I think I know what's going on. when I connect the drive via USB to my laptop, it normally goes off (spins down) after a period of time. then it spins up when it's accessed. Same behavior the drive shows when plugged in HC4. spins down when not used and again spins up when it's accessed. all good as far.

when I unmount the drive in windows or in libreelec, the drive spins down and turns itself off. without any stupid sounds.

however the difference is in shutdown and reboot.

when I shutdown or reboot my laptop with drive connected via USB, it spins down and that's it.

when I do this with HC4, there is this LE shutdown sequence, drive spins down, then suddenly spins up and then the power is cut or HC4 reboots and that's when that squeak sound appear.

no idea what's going on during this shutdown sequence but I'll bet my pants that it wakes up the drive again just before it goes off or reboots.

I don't know what happens during this shutdown sequence, but if you tell me what logs to check and how to turn on debug logging, I will and I can paste the logs here.

Edited once, last by toml (August 26, 2021 at 7:19 AM).

• It could still be a Linux thing... When I unmount & eject an external USB casing with a HDD, there is a type of "double" shutdown: suspend (=spindown) plus a subsequent power down (=spin up + instant spin down). There is no 'squeaky noise' though (with me it involves a WD hdd).

ok, so you see the 2nd "wake up" as well with your USB connected HDD when you unmount&eject drive. I'm prone to admit the root cause of that squeaky sound is that Seagate drive I bought. I'll try again with that old 2.5" drive I have (WD). I tried only once and it felt similar, but I may be wrong and it wasn't that bad as it was one rush attempt only.

if that double shutdown of the drive can be somehow avoided, it would be great, but I can live with it I guess. I anyway want it to run 24x7 as regular NAS, and I have power outages at home only rarely, like 3 times a year, so I guess I don't need to worry.

Edited once, last by toml (August 26, 2021 at 7:17 AM).

• toml Do you have basic electronic skills? If yes, you could test my power-off theory by measuring. Debug logging is usually a good idea, but I don't think we get info about internal HDD state during reboot time.

ok, i'm not sure if I'm able to follow, but let's give it a try. what's your theory and how to measure it?

• ok, i'm not sure if I'm able to follow, but let's give it a try. what's your theory and how to measure it?

Theory: HDD loses power supply on reboot for a very short time, which causes a HDD reboot and a strange noise.

Measurement to proof that theory: Find the power supply pins of the HDD by having a look at the data sheet. Remove some isolation of the connecting cable to get measure points at those power supply pins. Then connect a voltage measure instrument, and check the needle while rebooting. If the needle moves down, the theory has been proofed.