Feature differences between openelec and libreelec

• Hi guys, new to the forum, I'm sure it's been asked a million times before... but the reason i ask...

I get that this project is more active and i'm really interested in moving over so that it keeps evolving at a healthy pace if that's the way of the project but after googling a bit over a period of a few weeks i couldn't find any striking differences feature between OE and LE.

I have 3 triple boot NUC's that i currently use as HTPC's - configured and customized with Aeon Nox so a change over is a bit of a gamble for me as if all goes well it's painless but if any of the boot entry's partition dont align and there problems (i've discovered some undocumented bugs with the early NUC's) then a full rebuild of each of these HTPC's could be on the cards and thats a real ball ache for no real gain.

I get that in the near future this project will likely rocket but i was really wondering whether there way anything stand out already that would sway me to go through the switch over?

I get that it practically just dumping a couple of files in the SMB update share but it's all the manual config and then the pain of a switch over if it's lacking features that bothers me :)

I hope someone can advise. Just looking for a fair top level overview comparison of where both projects currently are.

• Hi guys, new to the forum, I'm sure it's been asked a million times before...

Indeed. :D

I get that this project is more active and i'm really interested in moving over so that it keeps evolving at a healthy pace if that's the way of the project but after googling a bit over a period of a few weeks i couldn't find any striking differences feature between OE and LE.

That's because there aren't that many differences at all, other than that LibreELEC is now fully focusing on Kodi Krypton, and apart from the usual suspects (Generic & Raspberri Pi) it also has community versions of Kodi Jarvis v7.0.2 for AMLogic boxes with chipsets such as S905, and Krypton builds for S905(x), S812, etcetera. Have a look at our forum for that.

For Generic => NUC, there are no major changes, just moving to the next Kodi version.

• Thanks for that... I'm not going mad then! :)

I'll scour the roadmap when i get a chance... I was really holding out for a server model of sorts for syncing between clients rather than fiddling with SQL.
    Something to sync media state, pause and resume, etc.

• There are actually quite a bunch of new features, not all will pertain/matter to all users though.

ability to update from img.gz files
    reworked update screen/process
    reworked install process
    USB/SD creator utility

Update channel / version selection from the LibreELEC-settings add-on
    LIRC disable switch in LibreELEC-settings add-on
    log upload ability in the LibreELEC-settings add-on

There is probably more that I am missing.

• I was using OE and MySQL before (MySQL I didn't needed that much, was mostly to try it), and made the switch to LibreELEC some weeks ago.

It worked great. Aeon Nox is also updated and works great. Some problem with widgets to video addons but other then that just great.

I had to do some updates of unofficial addons like Transmission, but other then that it was just to update.

Also, the UPnP works pretty well. It's not the same 1 to 1 experience over platforms that MySQL get you, but it works great.
    There are some features like backgrounds in season or episode view that's not there, and sometimes the resume points of episodes are not totally correct, but that works about 95% of the times (I think it has to do if I watch the episode to the end on the UPnP unit or not...).

/Söder