Bridging eth0 to wlan0

• Hi Folks,

in the past I had Kodi on Rasbian on a Pi 2b with a power-line Ethernet adapter and a switch to give both Ethernet clients an up-link. One was the pi the other was the onkyo amplifier.

Now I have a Pi 4b and want to use the wlan0 as up-link, as I have excellent coverage at that location. On top I would like to use eth0 from Pi as a up-link for the onkyo amplifier via LAN, since that amplifier does not have WiFi, only Ethernet.

Thing is, tethering with NAT wont work, as I control the amplifier with the onkyo app remotely and this app need an IP address. Obviously the IP should be reachable with out a NAT in between. (I also control Kodi by app: yatse, since I have my phone always available, and with a remote usually the battery is empty when you need it)

I found this Bridge two wired network adapters and this Using a Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC/KODI as a bridged WiFi Access point

So I tried a modified version. With

Code
    ip link set wlan0 master br0

I get

Code
    ip: RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

In my researche I found that bridged interfaces don't like wireless interfaces. Due to having 3 address blocks versus 4.

Form this link linux - Bridging wlan0 to eth0 - Server Fault I gained the understanding that 4addr is not really a solution as the router needs to run in WDS mode an the newer AVM Fritz!Box do not support that mode any more. Unfortunately I just recently upgraded to the top notch AVM Box for quite some money.

So any one with an idea how I could get my onkyo amplifier into my normal network without continued usage of the power-line adapter and switch or an AP?

For you to consider in your ideas: the reason for me wanting to dump the TP power-line is the adapter does forget his pairing occasionally. Very annoying as its difficult to access the stuff behind the beamer under the ceiling. Kind of like this: dismantle the bed, get a ladder, vacuum the dust, take the beamer down, take the amplifier down, get the power-line adapter, fix the pairing, and rebuilt every thing and don't mix up the cables, and for gods sake don't drop the beamer, then adjust the beamer properly and do a calibration for the screen. OMG I just wanted to watch a game, now its over. Yes I have tried several different brands for the power-line up-link like tp-link, devolo and netgear, I had that with more than one unit and brand. With devolo I had 7 dead units in 2 years, all replaced by warranty and except for one single unit those replacements died soon after the warranty was over. tp-link does kill the pairing every other months or so, at least it does not die on my, I think it has something to do how long I have the Kodi Beamer set disconnected from the grid. I sometimes don't watch for weeks or even months. How ever I want to get rid of that power-line trash anyway.

And I would like to have less stuff up there, rather than like in the past a beamer, the amplifier, the pi, a power-line unit, a remote controlled 230v socket and a switch and kilometers of cable. I would really like just beamer, amplifier and the pi, that would be a significant improvement.

regards

Manne

• Zerotier, unlike others, is a VPN in which all the routing rules must be established to reach other network interfaces, the study of this allows it to be applied to other cases like yours. The basic commands that I use are:

• Official Post

Got it. For such advanced routing I suggest to start with Raspberry Pi OS. You'll get much more software options and community support on that OS. If you made it work, come back, show the Rpi OS solution, and there is a chance to adapt it on LE.

• Thx, will do.

I also found an other solution. I could use an IR blaster controled by FHEM to control the amplifier.

As well as the projector and the electric projector screen.

So I think for starters I will make a dedicated FHEM GUI for cinema control thats controling all the stuff by IR and the Kodi by WiFi.

I was using the amplifier for web radio in the past, but I could do that through Kodi. The additional electricity from Pi wont make a difference, especially when I wont need the projector to see what the mouse is doing on the Kodi screen as FHEM Buttons don't need a visual feed back to the operator.

I could probably add even an IR receiver like the FLIRC 2nd Gen - USB Infrarot IR Adapter Dongle to the Kodi and do all the remote controls by IR...

Cheers Manne

edit: I'll post my FHEM integration when its finished and working

Edited once, last by mannebk (June 5, 2021 at 10:41 AM).