How to setup a bridge from Wi-fi to Ethernet?

• Hi,

I have Libreelec installed on a Rpi4, which is connected to the Internet via Wi-fi. I would like to create a bridge so that this Wi-fi connection is bridged to the Ethernet port. I'm not sure if it is feasible, even using command lines, as Libreelec has limited network configuration capabilities, even with Network tools addon installed.

How could I do this?

Thanks.

Regards.

• Do you confirm this tethering would bridge the Wi-fi connection to the Ethernet port? I understand it just creates a Wi-fi access point for other devices... Or did I miss something?

• Official Post

Do you confirm this tethering would bridge the Wi-fi connection to the Ethernet port? I understand it just creates a Wi-fi access point for other devices... Or did I miss something?

that could be true, you may have to edit the connman config file.

Code
    cp /etc/connman/main.conf /storage/.config/connman_main.conf

nano /storage/.config/connman_main.conf
  • Thanks. After having run these commands, I replaced

Code
    TetheringTechnologies = wifi

by

Code
    TetheringTechnologies = wifi,ethernet 

then reboot and

Code
    connmanctl tether ethernet on

Should it be enough or do I miss a command? It would help me understand why I still not have Internet on my other devices connected via Ethernet.

Regards

• If "routing tables" are involved then it is NOT A BRIDGE.

What we need is pure bridging to keep the ethernet and Wifi on the same subnet, not a router in between.

• Then connman tethering is not the solution you are seeking, because it shares the Ethernet connection behind NAT and has deiberately has zero config options beyond SSID/Passphrase. If you want a proper bridge either learn how to create that at kernel level or buy a WiFi bridge device. I use some older Apple Airport Express devices for testing when I want to avoid the need for WiFi drivers; they are obsolete and thus rather cheap to find on eBay (the last one I grabbed was $12).

• Then connman tethering is not the solution you are seeking, because it shares the Ethernet connection behind NAT and has deiberately has zero config options beyond SSID/Passphrase. If you want a proper bridge either learn how to create that at kernel level or buy a WiFi bridge device. I use some older Apple Airport Express devices for testing when I want to avoid the need for WiFi drivers; they are obsolete and thus rather cheap to find on eBay (the last one I grabbed was $12).

I knew I could use older Airports for connecting a USB printer to a Wireless network , but I suppose I never considered if it would work as a bridge. I have seen them often at Goodwill. Is there a specific model you recommend? I know that some of them probably have 2.4 Ghz only wifi but for my purposes (ethernet printer) that's not an issue. I will be putting it right next to a WIfi connected Kodi box that has an unused ethernet port, such a shame that Libreelec can not truly bridge. Nobody wants a bunch of subnets on a home network.

You would be amazed what you can get from Goodwill if you know what you are buying.

I do not think you can do a real bridge on Libreelec at all. I have done them on other Linux distros , I think Ubuntu.

The idea here however is to get the most out of what you already have. The issue with bridging on many systems come down to hardware and its ability to "bridge" effectively especially when DHCP is required. I know at least one bridge I made worked fine for everything except DHCP which did not bother me, since i was using Fixed IPs already.

>>>>>>>Update

Just bought this for my printer, it was cheap enough: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203968357700