No vidéo Signal

• This won't be the case otherwise it wouldn't work with your PC monitor as well. And I am running two RPi 4B with latest firmwares & latest LE 10 Nightly builds without any video issue.

It's hard to say what's wrong at your configuration but I would start again with defaults. Also I would decode the EDID files of your PC monitor & TV and compare them ( edid-decode /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid ).

I know it's working for you with all latest release. What I said is when I try to boot a LE 9.2.6 (so not really the latest) with a latest firmware, kodi didn't boot. This is why I think about a compatibility between le and eeprom.

Regarding the edid, I send you both. It seems to be the same.

• Official Post

OK, I got some feedback from the dev. No obvious errors found at the log, but some hints:

1. remove gpu_mem=320 from config.txt
    2. reduce the resolution to 720p for testing (cmdline.txt video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720@60D)
    3. if your monitor is using a lower resolution than your TV (or 2. hint is working), then check your HDMI cable (should be conform to HDMI 2.0 /2.1 standard to play higher resolutions)
  • Regarding the edid, I send you both. It seems to be the same.

They are the same which does not make sense if they are a different devices (and you reconnected the HDMI cable accordingly). So it looks one device could not be read like there're a bad connection.

• When rpi4 is connected to my monitor it seems that the edid is empty

cat /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/status

connected

LibreELEC:~ # cat /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid

LibreELEC:~ #

• OK, so the better steps should be:

- connect the PC monitor to RPi (use HDMI0 port which is next to power connector)

- reboot RPi

- login to SSH console and run getedid create

- run edid-decode /storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin

- save the text output and share it here as link (use pastebin.com)

- connect the TV to RPi (use HDMI0 port which is next to power connector)

- reboot RPi

- login to SSH console and run getedid create

- run edid-decode /storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin

- save the text output and share it here as link (use pastebin.com)

• When connected to a monitor, edid failed

getedid create

successfully installed edid override for HDMI-A-1

edid-decode /storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin

EDID extract of '/storage/.config/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin' failed: unknown format.

• I have installed the latest build (form scratch) but still no signal.

When I use vc4-kms-v3d or vc4-kms-v3d-pi4 , I have no signal on tv or monitor.

In order to have a display on the monitor, I have to do one of the following solution

- use vc4-fkms-v3d

or

- force resolution on cmdline video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720@60D or video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60D

But when I get signal on monitor, each command regarding edid dont't work

• Sorry, I saw raspberry pi4 in the description so I thought it was compatible.

I think I'm going to roll back to version 9.2.6 because I'm tired of testing lots of things but kodi doesn't boot.

Which eeprom version do you recommend for booting 9.2.6 ?

• Sorry I feel lost because I don't understand anymore what exactly works and what does not.

The cable specification looks OK but you should be able to test and confirm if it's really working properly or not. So at first, I would test with latest official Raspberry PI OS which should work with both your HDMI devices (and even at the same time if you already have 2 HDMI cables).

Then you should be able to say if the HDMI cable(s) are OK, if they work properly and reliable at maximum resolution etc.

Then I would play with LE, default config without any overlays added. As we know LE does not support more than one display, only HDMI0 port (next to the power connector) needs to be used for video, HDMI1 can be used for audio output (with 2 HDMI cables this is also the good test option, to see if you are able to make at least audio working on your TV when video does not work). So if you know what are you doing, you can identify what the issue reason could be. Of course it needs some (huge) time to try several options...

I would try to add the non-default overlays to already fully working LE only. Unfortunately I have no experiences with the mentioned overlays as I don't use them. But I suppose they may need to configure some other parameters as well.

I think I'm going to roll back to version 9.2.6 because I'm tired of testing lots of things but kodi doesn't boot.

Which eeprom version do you recommend for booting 9.2.6 ?

I wouldn't go back to earlier LE versions but I don't think that latest bootloader should prevent LE 9.2.6 from boot. If so, you need to describe what exactly happens at boot, when it hangs, if you see something on screen, what LEDs are doing etc...

If it boots in fact but Kodi does not start (as you say), then you can login through SSH and you may check the logs.

What's your current bootloader configuration (rpi-eeprom-config)?

• OK, so just a quick recap.

I have installed the latest firmware 2021-24-29

rpi-boot-eeprom-recovery-2021-04-29-vl805-000138a1-sd.zip

I have installed Raspbian. This one 2021-03-04-raspios-buster-armhf-full.img on e fresh sdcard

OS boots well and I have display on my monitor (but not full HD by default, only 1024*768) but nothing on my TV. So I change the resolution and now OS boots with 1920*1080 on monitor but still nothing on TV .

I saw that the default overlay is set to vc4-fmks-v3d on Raspbian(line LE 9.2.6) and commands tvservice (-l -n -s) works well both on Monitor and TV.

I check if my TV had a most recent firmware but no.

I tested both of my HDMI cables with my tablet on my TV and it's ok.

My last try before buying a new rpi4, I have ordered a new cable HDMI 2.0, I'll let you know the result, maybe tomorrow.

Edited once, last by zerocool64 (May 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM).

• OK, I would say most likely another RPi 4B will behave same with your TV.

I suppose your TV has more HDMi ports - try all of them (always reboot RPi), check if there are some settings related to HDMi input(s) in your TV and modify if so (overscan settings - turn off, set PC mode etc... ). Try to set another display mode(s) on RPi (on Raspberry PI OS) - lower resolution / FPS rate in accordance what you see in EDID file that your TV supports. Try to set the same display mode as your tablet is using (including FPS rate).

Also you could even try another Linux distribution (Ubuntu is supported on RPi 4B as well) to check if there's same behavior with your TV or not...

BTW. I am using 3m long 4K micro HDMI / HDMI cable (PremiumCord, bought locally from trusted distributor), even cheaper than yours but it looks more thick & robust (UL20276) and works perfectly with my RPi 4B & several HDMi displays / TVs at all supported resolutions.

Edited once, last by ghtester (May 5, 2021 at 3:47 AM).

• Hello

I'm so happy, it work !!!

So, I didn't test with another HDMI cable because I made a mistake in my order, I ordered a extension HDMI cable instead of a micro HDMI to HDMI cable, stupid I am

Just in case : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07H7JCCKM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

So I have decided to make a last try. I have a HDMI switch that I use to switch between my console (Nintendo switch) and my TV Box (provide by my ISP).

I decided to used this switch to switch between my rpi and my tv Box. The cabling allowed me to see that the signal coming from my rpi4 wasn't here. I have a led displayed when the signal is coming in.

So to make it work, I have used this switch to display the signal coming from my box on my TV and when the signal was well displayed on my TV, I switch to rpi4 and voilà, signal is OK and the kodi is displayed.

I decided to check all my custom configuration, like hdmi_xxx and dtovrelay in my config.txt and go back to the default config.txt and signal was ok too.

Thanks all of you for your time and patience. My TV is ten years old so maybe connectivity are not like are it used to be.