3TB HDD not being detected

• Hi,

I recently added a 3TB hard drive from my old Seagate FreeAgent Goflex Home(which is a tiny NAS) to my new(ish) x86_64 system which only runs LibreELEC. This drive either has lots of movies or nothing at all and I want to keep those movies(if they are there). I plugged the drive in from SATA and booted the OS from my other 1TB drive but it isn't detected at all by LibreELEC although the BIOS does detect the drive. df -h doesn't show it either nor anything else I've tried(parted etc.). Some extra info I have is that the goflex ran a linux based system(so it should be ext4).

• For blkid:

http://ix.io/2WXt

For mount:

http://ix.io/2WXu

For dmesg:

http://ix.io/2WXv

The drive is not externally powered. Power comes from a 450W PSU and a SATA cable goes directly to the Mobo. BTW, I tried using this drive externally from some really cheap SATA to USB connector but it couldn't run the disk(doesn't show and drive wasn't vibrating). The drive also has some sticker which says that extra drivers might be needed to run drives over 2TB(although it's from 2011 so I'm not sure if that holds any more.)

• Hmm... I thought for a moment it'd be an external drive.

Did you by chance format the disk in a Windows machine, not properly shut it down? Suspend/hibernation mode, that sort of stuff?

Because Linux is a bit allergic to that.

Linux sees the drive(s), but only sees the PARTUUID for the 3TB drive. It doesn't get mounted, as isn't the 2nd attached drive.

[ 3.374897] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
    [ 3.374938] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 5860533168 512-byte logical blocks: (3.00 TB/2.73 TiB)
    [ 3.374940] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 4096-byte physical blocks
    [ 3.374971] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
    [ 3.374974] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    [ 3.375020] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
    [ 3.375156] scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA TOSHIBA DT01ACA1 A750 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
    [ 3.375393] sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
    [ 3.375415] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 1953525168 512-byte logical blocks: (1.00 TB/932 GiB)
    [ 3.375418] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 4096-byte physical blocks
    [ 3.375438] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    [ 3.375442] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    [ 3.375509] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
    [ 3.403099] sda: sda1
    [ 3.403851] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
    [ 3.413457] sdb: sdb1 sdb2
    [ 3.414151] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

• The drive has never even touched a Windows machine. Again it was running in a goflex which is a linux based system.

Yeah the Toshiba drive is my 1TB hard drive connected on SATA 2 while the 3TB Seagate is connected to SATA 1.

It doesn't get mounted, as isn't the 2nd attached drive.

Does this mean that I should move it to SATA 3?

• I currently have seven HDD's connected and one of them is a 10TB and another is 8 TB. Libreelec mounts all of them, two of them are 3TB. Mine are all connected by USB, five are in an external enclosure the other two are in individual enclosures. I would go with that too if I were you.

• xfs or lvm partition?

Not sure about that.

I currently have seven HDD's connected and one of them is a 10TB and another is 8 TB. Libreelec mounts all of them, two of them are 3TB. Mine are all connected by USB, five are in an external enclosure the other two are in individual enclosures. I would go with that too if I were you.

Unfortunately that's not an option for me. I would vastly prefer faster read and write speeds than USB 3.0 can do(my motherboard doesn't have thunderbolt etc) and I would like all drives to remain within the system itself to prevent someone clumsy just knocking them over...

• Not sure about that.

Download system rescue cd and check how it sees that device or attach it to any regular Linux OS. Your partition UID looks like LVM. You can find system rescue cd in your favorite search engine or I'll update post with external link, if that's ok with forum moderators. blkid should work on system rescue cd. I don't remember if it comes with pastebinit.

I think I saw posts on forum about libreelec not supporting xfs and I don't see LVM userland utils on my libreelec. Libreelec tends to work with removable or remote storage and they might not expect to see LVM requirement with locally attached disks. Linux based NAS appliance would have LVM support for sure and it would be using lvm by default.

"parted -l | pastebinit" output might give some clues too, if Seagate used correct partition type when formatting that disk.

Edited 8 times, last by tokul (April 23, 2021 at 5:26 AM).

• parted -l shows the 3TB drive!

http://ix.io/2YAI

Although the question now is, how will I mount this drive and are my old movies still there or all of them are gone?(parted says there is only a 400 gig partition which is weird and I'm not sure if that is because of LVM)

Edited 2 times, last by Hypadrive (April 23, 2021 at 10:22 AM).

• So a status update, I used a live Ubuntu image to try and format the disk. Ran into:

Code
    partition length of 5860530176 sectors exceeds the msdos-partition-table-imposed maximum of 429496729

So the issue was that the msdos partition table causes the max partition size to be 2TB. I changed the partition table to GPT and then partitioned it with ext4(it didn't want to mount the disk on Ubuntu either so I just went ahead with formatting). Now it appears in Kodi too! Thanks a lot guys.