Retroplayer SNES FPS drops on powerful Intel hardware

• In such cases it is always worth to even try RC mainline or bleeding edge drm-next kernels.

I tested Linux version 5.11.11 tonight and the kernel WARNING has gone, and a number of other errors including the block following: “*ERROR* Timed out waiting for FEC Enable Status

imperially - I do believe the playback with 5.11.11 is smoother than 5.10.28-rc1 on the TGL.

• With great difficulty I was able to load Windows onto a quite small (16GB) USB drive and run it directly on my NUC11 without having to install the OS. After installing graphics drivers and Kodi I was able to run Super Mario Bros with Snes9x-current. But the problem was also present on Windows.

What does this mean? Unfortunately so far nobody has been able to definitively say "I am able to use Kodi Retroplayer on an x86 machine to speed through the first level of Super Mario Bros on SNES without frame drops", nor confirm that they are experiencing the same issue.

This issue cannot be specific to the more recent NUCs either, since I have now confirmed it happens on NUC7, NUC11, Ubuntu, LibreELEC and Windows 10. And as mentioned in a previous post, running the same ROM in standalone Retroarch is perfectly smooth.

Edited 2 times, last by chcore (April 10, 2021 at 11:05 AM).

• Nobody has any ideas?

Today I tried kodi-gbm, which had the same issue. Also tried disabling hyper threading and updating to the latest BIOS. No difference.

• If it works with my standalone Retroarch implementation then I'm pretty sure the quirks are related to Retroplayer which you IMHO already proved since the slowdown occurs on various versions & OS. SNES should literally run on a toaster nowadays btw.

• If it works with my standalone Retroarch implementation then I'm pretty sure the quirks are related to Retroplayer which you IMHO already proved since the slowdown occurs on various versions & OS. SNES should literally run on a toaster nowadays btw.

Yes perhaps, but it would also appear that Retroplayer works just fine for everyone else

can you post the exact rom you are using ? works for me (at Win10) with some random roms

There are two Super Mario All-Stars ROMs in this archive.org collection. It happens with both of them: https://archive.org/details/SuperNintendoUSACollectionByGhostware

• I found 49 different Super Mario All-Stars ROMs :)

So pls share the exact name of the file you use.

Can you please try "Super Mario All-Stars (USA).zip" from (REMOVED)

Playing the first level of Super Mario Bros at a decent pace will always trigger some FPS drops.

Edited once, last by chcore (April 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM).

• Can you please try "Super Mario All-Stars (USA).zip"

Playing the first level of Super Mario Bros at a decent pace will always trigger some FPS drops.

Well just post the sha256 md5 or crc32 hash or something used by RA and else to identify the rom & please do not post links to most likely illegal rom sources.

• (Possible) Pirated or copyrighted material in any form, including links to suspected downloads, is not accepted on this forum.

Stick to the forum rules.

Sorry about that, for some reason I thought it was OK because it was on archive.org

The sha-1 hash of the SFC file is c05817c5b7df2fbfe631563e0b37237156a8f6b6 (Super Mario All-Stars USA)

• I ran some games on my J4105 box including that Mario rom. I don't see any major problems.

The motion is not butter smooth like you would see in a modern game with vsync on. IMO that's normal.

• I ran some games on my J4105 box including that Mario rom. I don't see any major problems.

The motion is not butter smooth like you would see in a modern game with vsync on. IMO that's normal.

In my case it's smooth most of the time, but will randomly, and very noticeably, drop a bunch of frames for about a second then go back to being smooth. This might happen 5-6 times over the course of playing the first level of Super Mario Bros at a good pace.

It seems I'm the one having to say sorry, according an LE colleague, it seems that Archive.org has got some official exception for it.

So there you go.

No harm done, I was also very surprised (and delighted) when I found out about their DMCA exemption.

• In my case it's smooth most of the time, but will randomly, and very noticeably, drop a bunch of frames for about a second then go back to being smooth. This might happen 5-6 times over the course of playing the first level of Super Mario Bros at a good pace.

No harm done, I was also very surprised (and delighted) when I found out about their DMCA exemption.

Internet Archive Gets DMCA Exemption To Help Archive Vintage SoftwareComputer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and which require the original media or hardware as a condition of access.

I'm not really sure if you could apply those exeptions:

All in all I would avoid any links to any website or host which could result in copyright infringements.