Transmission with Docker

• Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone experienced this before. Basically I did all exactly the same as it was explained in a thread. BUT at the end I always get Docker restarting the Transmission service. The message I get is "name: transmission | action: start" and it repeats every 10 seconds and I can't access the transmission URL.

This is the only thing which doesn't allow me to move to Libreelec from Openelec at the moment which I really want to especially with the Krypton release.
    I did all exactly the same on 2 different Libreelec builds and always got same issue. Using RPi3.

Sorry for a noob question. I'm totally new in Linux, KODI and Libreelec.

Edited once, last by Starfish (October 17, 2016 at 2:20 PM).

• Hello there and thanks for this step by step info.
    You cant imagine how worthy this kind of instructions for people who dont have any linux experience.

So I following these steps to use Transmission on RPi3.
    On step 6 I get below message. I have also realized that "systemctl enable /storage/Dockerfiles-master/x86_64/transmission/transmission.service" maybe for normal pc's not like RPi (due to CPU type) so decided to make it like "systemctl enable /storage/Dockerfiles-master/arm/transmission/transmission.service"
    but both give same message
    Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory

My docker info
    LibreELEC:~ # docker info
    Containers: 0
    Running: 0
    Paused: 0
    Stopped: 0
    Server Version: 1.12.1
    Storage Driver: overlay2
    Backing Filesystem: extfs
    Logging Driver: json-file
    Cgroup Driver: cgroupfs
    Plugins:
    Volume: local
    Network: bridge null host overlay
    Swarm: inactive
    Runtimes: runc
    Default Runtime: runc
    Security Options:
    Kernel Version: 4.4.13
    Operating System: LibreELEC (official) - Version: 7.0.2
    OSType: linux
    Architecture: armv7l
    CPUs: 4
    Total Memory: 737 MiB
    Name: LibreELEC
    ID: RUUF:FZVF:NMBJ:IFQW:KPCY:DBOH:33A6:W5SP:KIXH:5WQR:USNZ:VSOI
    Docker Root Dir: /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.system.docker/docker
    Debug Mode (client): false
    Debug Mode (server): false
    Registry: v1
    WARNING: No swap limit support
    WARNING: No kernel memory limit support
    WARNING: No cpu cfs quota support
    WARNING: No cpu cfs period support
    WARNING: No cpu shares support
    WARNING: No cpuset support
    Insecure Registries:
    127.0.0.0/8

I will be very appreciated for some help.
    Thanks in advance

• Wow... Such a "strong" community here...

For those having problems with Transmission with Librelec on RPi (obviously most of people land on this page after search), here's a quick solution for you:
    1. Download relevnat .service file from here
    2. In terminal SSH to your RPi and paste these two commands

Code
    mkdir /storage/.kodi/addons/service.downloadmanager.transmission/lib
    cp /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.37.0.0 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.downloadmanager.transmission/lib/libcrypto.so.35

3. Enjoy.

NOTE: NO DOCKER INVOLVED :D

Edited once, last by Starfish (October 24, 2016 at 10:47 PM).

• You would add this for all noobs like me :)
    Download zip file and in libreelec (kodi) install addon from zip file.

Wow... Such a "strong" community here...

For those having problems with Transmission with Librelec on RPi (obviously most of people land on this page after search), here's a quick solution for you:

Code
    cp /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.37.0.0 /storage/.kodi/addons/service.downloadmanager.transmission/lib/libcrypto.so.35

3. Enjoy.

• You would add this for all noobs like me :)
    Download zip file and in libreelec (kodi) install addon from zip file.

I'm on an older version of OE, and I thinking of switching to LE. But since I use Transmission on OE, and LE does not support these kind of addons (out of the box), it's been holding me back.

This trick described in your posts, is it to "fool" the addon to be able to get installed on LE instead? I've got an addon called Automatic that I've compiled myself a couple of years ago, that I like, but I don't think I know how to compile again. Will it also work to install in about the same way as Transmission?

/Söder

Edited once, last by soder (October 28, 2016 at 12:25 PM).

• Wow... Such a "strong" community here...

Code

3. Enjoy.

I've installed Transmission this way, but for the Generic version for my NUC. It works well, BUT, I got problem during reboot of the htpc. You can read about it in this thread. LibreELEC

The problem is that during a reboot I got some failure messages on the screen, delaying the process with the reboot. The failures are my mounts I've done. I got 6 hdd's mounted, and on reboot some or all fails unmounting.

I did some tests, and it's because of Transmission is running. I guess Transmission in some way is using the hdd during the reboot and it fails.

Is there a way to have Transmission stopped first, before the disk unmounting that happens automatically when I in a terminal (ssh) type "reboot" or I in Kodi go for a reboot?

Maybe something like this? NFS automount + transmission race condition on shutdown/reboot - Help and Support - OSMC Forums

Thanks.

/Söder

Edited once, last by soder (November 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM).

• Simply install an add-on from the appropriate zip file. Further add-ons can then be installed from the repository.

OK, manual installation from the zip then. From what repository? Not the default LibreELEC repo I guess? "Each add-on behaves as an add-on repository, from which further add-ons may be installed."

Also, are this Transmission addon newer then the one from this url? Index of /builds/addons/Generic/transmission

Can I install this Transmission addon, and it will update my Milhouse version, keeping my torrents and all that?

/Söder

Edited once, last by soder (November 11, 2016 at 8:43 AM).

• Both the Milhouse and the Thoradia Transmission add-on provide the same version of Transmission.
    These add-ons are however distinct, use distinct settings and can coexist, provided they use distinct directories and ports.
    Thoradia add-ons are available for all LibreELEC 8.0 releases and feature automatic update.

Edited once, last by thoradia (November 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM).

• Both the Milhouse and the Thoradia Transmission add-on provide the same version of Transmission.
    These add-ons are however distinct, use distinct settings and can coexist, provided they use distinct directories and ports.
    Thoradia add-ons are available for all LibreELEC 8.0 releases and feature automatic update.

Hmm, I don't really get what you mean with "distinct". If I got Milhouse version installed and running, and got the settings file in ~/.cache/transmission, can I then just install the Transmission version from the Thoradia "repo", or do I have to uninstall the old, and save the ~/.cache/transmission folder and my edited transmission startup scripts?

EDIT: I just installed the Transmission version from your "repo" after backing up my other version. After installing it, it just like you said was installed as a 2nd version of Transmission in Kodi/LibreELEC.
    I noticed in the config of the addon it was missing the settings about a custom settings file, something that Milhouse version got, that is a "rest" from the OpenELEC version. Before that option came, there was always some problems with updated, if you wanted to use custom settings with your Transmission.

/Söder

Edited once, last by soder (November 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM).

• Thoradia add-ons store their settings in their respective home directory, which is accessible via the userdata network share.
    Transmission therefore stores its settings in /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.transmission, accessible via userdata/addon_data/service.transmission.

The underlying applications are installed with their respective default settings, that you can customize.
    Add-on updates will not affect customized settings.

Safest is to have only one Transmission add-on active.
    Which one you keep is up to you.