Legacy v9.2 (LTS) builds for Amlogic S805/S8X2, S905/S912 and all WeTek boxes

• I have an S805 HD18Q box running version 9.2.8.6 and I noticed it has two offline CPU cores. Is there a way to re-enable the additional cpu cores 1 and 3 it currently is only using cpu cores 0 and 2.

Edited once, last by thadrumr (January 7, 2023 at 2:26 AM).

• I have an S805 HD18Q box running version 9.2.8.6 and I noticed it has two offline CPU cores. Is there a way to re-enable the additional cpu cores 1 and 3 it currently is only using cpu cores 0 and 2.

Changing the base frequency of the SoC and dynamically turning some cores on and off is controlled by the CPU governor. The reasons are very simple: saving energy and reduce heat dissipation. If the CPU load requires it, these cores are also activated on the fly.

• If you have further Q's let's take them to a separate thread (or the AMLGX general thread) to keep this one on-topic.

Can you please show me the AMLGX thread?

Also, about the image file you just made. Can it be booted from sdcard/usb on an exististing s805 le 9.2.6.8 installation that boots straight from the emmc that it is installed on?

• Changing the base frequency of the SoC and dynamically turning some cores on and off is controlled by the CPU governor. The reasons are very simple: saving energy and reduce heat dissipation. If the CPU load requires it, these cores are also activated on the fly.

Thanks that makes sense. I had a feeling that was the case just wanted conformation.

• Moreover, please tell me if your le 10 AMLMX image can boot straight from usb/sdcard (all black mxq running le 9.2.8.x from emmc). I have a 30-45 minute break tomorrow and I want to test it as much as possible.

It's highly experimental and I have no time to coach users on what it might be like .. so I'd rather you ignored it.

• Ok, first attempt to boot your amlmx 10.88.0 image on the existing le 9.2.6 on s805 failed completely. In detail.

I wrote it on both an sd card and a usb stick with rufus and I tried to boot from any of them.

The toothpick method failed because, regardless of where I tried to boot it from, it was always getting to an adroid recovery screen... which I had no way to use with the remote.

Leaving the unwanted recovery mode aside, the next best thing that happened was for the box to show the mxq logo and then the tv to pop an "unsupported" message (possibly its way of informing the user for something "out of range"), which was followed by booting to existing libreelec installation.

Any ideas?

• Hey all, does anyone know if/where one can purchase/source one of these boxes? I have an MXQ pro+ running the latest build, and would like to add another one or two to my arsenal. The challenge is finding one.

Any leads would be appreciated.

• Interestingly enough, I managed to get Libreelec working on my amlogic s805 based box, only With MXQ image (which more closely resembles the specs of the Freesat Angel V8 box I got) I only managed to get to the Kodi splash screen (where it got stuck), and with the lower speced M201D firmware - it booted without a hitch - although Bluetooth does not work, the network speed is a tad slow, and some things just get the box frozen. It still works MUCH better than with the Android 4.4.2 that comes with the box (and cannot be updated). So thanks.

• Hey all, does anyone know if/where one can purchase/source one of these boxes? I have an MXQ pro+ running the latest build, and would like to add another one or two to my arsenal. The challenge is finding one.

It is quite difficult to buy a used box these days, because on the one hand it is rare, and on the other hand, if you find one, the seller sometimes gives it at a price that is usually not worth it.

Interestingly enough, I managed to get Libreelec working on my amlogic s805 based box, only With MXQ image (which more closely resembles the specs of the Freesat Angel V8 box I got) I only managed to get to the Kodi splash screen (where it got stuck), and with the lower speced M201D firmware - it booted without a hitch - although Bluetooth does not work, the network speed is a tad slow, and some things just get the box frozen. It still works MUCH better than with the Android 4.4.2 that comes with the box (and cannot be updated). So thanks.

The limiting factor and the reason for the freezes, may be the lack of memory. 512 MB is not too much.

Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are also quite a gamble. The quality of the drivers integrated into the 3.14 kernel and chips themselves are not very good.

• LibreELEC v9.2.8.7 (2023-01-22) has been released for S805, S8X2, S905x and WP1 devices.

Some changes are announced because support for some devices has changed:

• Support for KI-Pro and KI-Plus devices has been merged and renamed to K_Series.
    • Support for the K_Series image has now been extended to include KI/II-series boxes from the GXBB/GXL family.
    • Direct support for the MXQ-4K-Pro_2G device is no longer available, the Generic_S905 image can be used instead, which is newly added to the 3rdParty images.

Changes since v9.2.8.6 (2022-09-04):

• WeTek_Core, WeTek_Play: rewrite WeTek RF remote control implementation and replace the inherited keyset,
    • ALL: fix many remote key events (e.g. Homescreen, Playback controls, etc.),
    • Generic_S905: add Availink AVL6862 driver support,
    • ALL: update cacert.pem to 2023-01-10,
    • WeTek_Play_2: crazycat_aml and dvb-latest driver addons re-enabled,
    • ALL: enable auto update support for all projects,
    • ALL: update time zone database to 2022g,
    • WeTek_Play: remove wrong kernel name that caused updates to not work,
    • ALL: update OpenSSL package to v1.1.1s,
    • KI_Series, Generic_S905: add device_trees folder to the image,
    • S905: remove MXQ-4K-Pro_2G direct support, and add a Generic_S905 3rdParty image,
    • KI_Series: merge KI-Pro and KI-Plus devices, and fix update from previous device names.

For download links, please check the first post in this topic: #1

Mirror (GitHub): Release LibreELEC v9.2.8.7 for AML S805/S8X2/S905 and WP1 (2023-01-22) · dtechsrv/LibreELEC-AML

NOTICE: Automatic update will only be enabled for this version in a few days.

NOTICE UPDATE (2023-01-23): Automatic update has been enabled on all supported devices (except 3rdParty).

• May I ask what is the new image for s905?

Also, that automatic update notice at the end. Does it mean that the user can now use libreelec's built in function to update it, i.e. from 9.2.8.6 to 9.2.8.7?

Because in order to update the kids' tvbox, I have to remotely connect to a windows pc, then ssh to the tvbox, download the update inside /storage/.update and reboot.

Edited once, last by jim_p (January 25, 2023 at 6:00 AM).

• May I ask what is the new image for s905?

It is essentially the same as the previous MXQ-4K-Pro_2G image, but it contains all the GXBB/GXL dtbs in the device_trees directory. So, you no longer need to download the right dtb separately, just overwrite the dtb.img with the right one.

Also, that automatic update notice at the end. Does it mean that the user can now use libreelec's built in function to update it, i.e. from 9.2.8.6 to 9.2.8.7?

I need to quote myself from the #1 post:

NOTICE: If the auto update is enabled, but the installed version is not the latest, then the listed devices will automatically download and install it after restarting.

Sometimes it's worth looking back at the first post, because I usually write the bigger changes there. :)