Significant delay between HDMI and analog audio output

• Hi,

I use LE on a Raspberry Pi2 that's connected to an LG Smart TV (couldn't dig out the exact model, but in case if it's necessary I can dig it up) and to an external hifi over the analog jack. I sometimes enjoy playing music over the hifi once the TV is on too and I noticed significant delays between the audio from the TV and the hifi. It doesn't always happen however it's a common case.

I have tried many TVs in the past and many jack devices and usually the HDMI audio seems to be delayed compared to the jack output.

I was expecting this to be a common issue however upon some googling I couldn't find anything related. The issue presents still I have been using OE and now with LE 9.2.6 too.

Any ideas?

• Audio delay between a HDMI and analog connection is not uncommon. Plenty of posts about HDMI audio delay on other forums. I found this one for eg (I make no claim how accurate it is) -- Audio over HDMI vs analog connections. | AVForums

Most recent TV's have some kind of audio output, very often optical audio output. If you have the option on your audio receiver (external hifi), consider connecting it that way instead of through the analog out on the Pi, as it will likely help with the syncronization. The optical is the better connection if you have that option.

Or mute the TV, or turn off the TV speakers, when you are pumping the audio through your hifi.

Adding an audio offset is not possible (??) for just music files. That's more related to when audio on a video file is out (also common, but more reasons why that happens).