Need help understanding Argon One IR control

• I'm looking for help from anyone for whom this already works.

I'm using the latest edition of LibreElec (9.2.6) in an Argon ONE M.2 case. I've managed to get everything up and running and booting from the M.2 drive. However, the only part missing is that I can't seem to get the system to power on from the IR receiver.

I use a harmony hub to control my home theater but I haven't been able to get the Argon ONE case to react when I set a device to communicate via infrared. (I created a windows media center device in the remote app to send a power-on IR signal, but the case never responds.)

I checked the Argon ONE manual and user support on their site, but the "argonone-ir" script doesn't seem to exist in the libreElec release of Argon Forty scripts, and customer support hasn't replied to my request for assistance yet.

If anyone has a functional IR setup for the Argon ONE case, could you help me check what might be missing? (forgotten settings, missing scripts, etc.)

I'm a big novice at this, only started tinkering with raspberries a month ago, so I ask for your understanding.

• I am getting in my own M.2 case tomorrow, but having done some research prior, I will share what I know. Firstly, according to this, you can Control LibreELEC via an IR remote using LIRC, while it is on. However, I am not sure about Powering ON specifically, as this requires that the IR receiver be powered even when the RPi is not powered on. This mainly depends on how the Argon40 team wired their board. An alternative that I know works is the RemotePi Board, since this is exactly what it's intended for. Unfortunately, the RemotePi board doesn't fit this case. Anyways, I will know more when I get the case in.

• I have the RemotePi Board on my RPi3 with my own homemade case. In order for it to work with IR, it needs something like the RemotePi board. It can not power on via a USB IR receiver, like an MCE dongle. This is because USB has no control over powering on the Pi, the RemotePi Board does because it is attached to the GPIO. You'll need a component like the RemotePi to make powering on/off your Argon One possible.

Unfortunately, it may not fit on the Argon One case correctly, and look awkward. You may have to get the RemotePi Board with a separate connector for the IR and LEDs. That way you can reroute those parts to where you need them.

• That article has the right idea with the GPIO wiring. You would still need a case for an IR board to go into, and attach to the wire. Just doing it with jumper connectors to the boards wouldn't be stable.

That article with LIRC involves soldering the IR receivers directly. That is a more manual set up. If you go with something like the RemotePi board you will just use the scripts the maker provides. It's easy. The only challenge really is having a stable enough connection from the Argon's GPIO to the IR receiver, whatever you choose.

• I think the RemotePI board is not possible in combination to the Argon ONE case.

The problem is, that both can cut the power to the RPi4. Just think, that you connect USB Power to the RemotePi board. If it is off, there is no problem, BUT if it powers the RPi4, power will also go to the Argon ONE case daughter board, since it powers the RPi4 over the same GPIO pins.

And now the Argon ONE daughter board gets power from the wrong side (not from USB connector, but from RPI4). This may destroy some logic on the Argon ONE side...

I would try to solder the IR receivers in the Ar gon ONE case and test it (you have to press the button to power the RPi4 up), but then you dan control it with any remote IR controller. The LIRC article was using the IR receiver installed on the Argin ONE daughter board.

• There are updated ArgonOne cases that are advertised as having an IR receiver built-in. However, this seems to be only for their own remote, which is not yet available.

I've tweeted them to ask if it will work with other remotes, as I'd love to reclaim a USB port on mine.

I'll report back if I get an answer.

• I bought my Argon One cases without knowing about the IR receiver. They are great cases, even without the receiver.

It seems reasonable, we should be able to reverse engineer a remote and create the XML to use in a Harmony. I look forward to watching this develop.

• I think the RemotePI board is not possible in combination to the Argon ONE case.

The problem is, that both can cut the power to the RPi4. Just think, that you connect USB Power to the RemotePi board. If it is off, there is no problem, BUT if it powers the RPi4, power will also go to the Argon ONE case daughter board, since it powers the RPi4 over the same GPIO pins.

And now the Argon ONE daughter board gets power from the wrong side (not from USB connector, but from RPI4). This may destroy some logic on the Argon ONE side...

I would try to solder the IR receivers in the Ar gon ONE case and test it (you have to press the button to power the RPi4 up), but then you dan control it with any remote IR controller. The LIRC article was using the IR receiver installed on the Argin ONE daughter board.

RemotePi board reroutes power to it. You wouldn't use Argon's normal power connector. For that reason, and others, the RemotePi board is not appropriate, I agree.

You can solder IR receivers directly and use LIRC. Or you can get a USB MCE remote dongle. Not sure if they are still around. Either way, the functionality is the same. Control without being able to power on over IR. It's a great feature to have, but don't force yourself around it. I only have one IR raspberry pi because I have only have one space to use it in, a living room. Anywhere else it is kind of a waste.

• Thank you for the replies everyone. I just thought I would add some information since I see most people talking about the original Argon ONE case.

The Argon ONE M.2 actually comes with the IR receiver pre-installed on the hat that's part of the top of the case. The hat is powered through the GPIO bus as the hat redirects the bus from the side of the Raspberry to the back of the case. I imagine that the IR receiver (and the hat) is still under power while the raspberry is offline?

• The Argon One (non M.2) also comes with the IR receiver pre-installed. They are the same, minus the M.2 board and a deeper bottom tub.

BTW, I love the M.2 version. It boots so fast with SSD.

• Checking again with Argon40 (the manufacturer) and the case apparently already has everything needed to use the IR receiver to power on/off the raspberry using the Argon Remote.

Additionally, the product page for the Argon IR Remote on the Argon40 website gives the following information:

• The Argon REMOTE works out of the box with the Argon ONE V2 and Argon ONE M.2 to control its power ON/OFF.
    • In Raspbian, once the Argon Script is installed you can configure the other buttons of the Argon REMOTE via terminal by typing: "argonone-ir"
    • When paired with Argon ONE it works in Libreelec and Kodi, upon installation of the Argon Software for Kodi in the system.

Unfortunately, the remote is "out of stock". (I don't think it's ever been available actually) And I still haven't been able to find a device in Harmony Hub that manages to communicate with the case's IR receiver.

• You can use almost any Remote Control with kernel IR drivers using GPIO pin at RPi 4B, if you create your own custom keymap file (by editing one of most similar default templates). Even without Harmony. Just use a Remote Control from an old TV. There are many examples here, how to do it.

Perhaps look here, the difference for Argon ONE would be to use GPIO 23 instead of default GPIO 18.

RE: LibreELEC 9.2.6 Raspberry 4 and IrDA Dongle

If you have the Harmony, look here: Kodi, Harmony, and Raspberry PI 4 with IR sensor newb guide

• You can use almost any Remote Control with kernel IR drivers using GPIO pin at RPi 4B, if you create your own custom keymap file (by editing one of most similar default templates). Even without Harmony. Just use a Remote Control from an old TV. There are many examples here, how to do it.

Perhaps look here, the difference for Argon ONE would be to use GPIO 23 instead of default GPIO 18.

RE: LibreELEC 9.2.6 Raspberry 4 and IrDA Dongle

If you have the Harmony, look here: Kodi, Harmony, and Raspberry PI 4 with IR sensor newb guide

I saw that guide for the harmony remote, and it looks very promising. My one question would be if that script would work while the raspberry is offline. The IR receiver is likely powered by the daughterboard of the Argon ONE rather than by the raspberry itself so I'm not sure where the script would be.

Again, I'm a raspberry novice, so I'm quite lacking in this kind of knowledge.

Edited once, last by bluewolf10th (January 31, 2021 at 4:16 PM).

• IMO, it would make sense for us to select a remote, as a group, and develop a keymap file. I will throw in and help with whatever the group decides but I suggest either MCE or FLIRC. Personally, I'd select MCE.

• I doubt it can power on the pi from remote, as there are reports of it being connected to GPIO 23. Perhaps if the pi is just in standby....

GPIO 23 wouldn't work, as that's SCLK according to the pinout displayed on the case:

Argon One Mini Computer: first build | RaspTut : Articles and tutorials for  the Raspberry Pi

Unless you mean the pin labeled #23, which would then be GPIO 16.

I meant GPIO 23 which is on pin 16, just as I wrote.

I haven't tried it, so I have no direct knowledge. That info comes from here.

Argon One case with IR receiver and LIRC - Raspberry Pi Forums

BTW, why are my posts being moderated?