Add-on updates fail with 404 and 403 errors

• For quite some time now I have been unable to update certain add-ons. This never was a big issue, but because some of my movies failed to scrape I tried to install the universal scraper (which for some reason was not installed) and that didn't work either. I looked at the logfile and noticed that the update failed to download due to a HTTP 404 error.

My LE install was a bit old so I upgraded to the latest LE version (9.2.6) and tried again. Same result.

Trying to install the Youtube plugin from the repo, for example, fails and produces the following log entries:

Code
    01917824   ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 404 for https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/leia/metadata.universal/metadata.uni
    01917824   ERROR: Could not fetch addon location and hash from https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/leia/metadata.universal/metadata
    01917824   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[metadata.universal]: failed to resolve addon install source path

This is not the only add-on that fails. Trying to install the Youtube add-on (previously installed, but uninstalled to eliminate any update issues due to a corrupt add-on) gives the same results:

Code
    78345088   ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 404 for https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/leia/plugin.video.youtube/plugin.vid
    78345088   ERROR: Could not fetch addon location and hash from https://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/leia/plugin.video.youtube/plugin
    78345088   ERROR: CAddonInstallJob[plugin.video.youtube]: failed to resolve addon install source path

The host mirrors.kodi.tv does resolve and is pingable. (Of course it is; if it weren't no 404 error could be returned.)

There is also a whole lot of 403 errors in the log immediately following the attempts to install these add-ons, which may or may not be related or relevant:

I checked the repo and at Files... I find the following files:

Code
    fanart.jpg 42.7 KiB    2020-Nov-22 01:47    
    icon.png4.2 KiB    2020-Nov-22 01:47    
    plugin.video.youtube-6.8.6.zip 492.1 KiB    2020-Oct-25 20:36    
    plugin.video.youtube-6.8.7.zip 492.1 KiB    2020-Oct-29 13:46    
    plugin.video.youtube-6.8.8.zip 492.2 KiB    2020-Nov-22 01:47

So the file that Kodi is looking for isn't there. If there had been something wrong with the repos since I first noticed this issue weeks ago I'm sure it would not have gone unnoticed for all this time, so I can only assume the repo is fine and the problem is on my side.

What can I do to troubleshoot this further? All suggestions would be appreciated!

// FvW

• Enable additional logging for curl, reboot, demonstrate the problem, then share the full debug log.

Very well, sir. :) Here it is in all its ASCII-ish glory: Pastebin.com - Potentially offensive content ahead!

(I note that pastebin issues a warning that this paste may be potentially offensive. Not sure why! It's just a kodi log file.)

Tnx!

// FvW

Which mirror site are you getting when opening one or more of those URLs?

Files...

(or have I misunderstood your question?)

// FvW

Edited once, last by frankvw: Merged a post created by frankvw into this post. (December 3, 2020 at 1:52 PM).

• (or have I misunderstood your question?)

I think so. Mirrors are there to unload the burden of the download traffic a website or application generates, and forwards the requests to one of the connect servers. In this case, in an example, my browser is now connecting to:
    http : // ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/xbmc/addons/leia/plugin.video.thinktv/icon.png

and apparently the Aachen mirror cannot find the icon.png file...

• I think so. Mirrors are there to unload the burden of the download traffic a website or application generates, and forwards the requests to one of the connect servers. In this case, in an example, my browser is now connecting to:
    http : // ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/xbmc/addons/leia/plugin.video.thinktv/icon.png

and apparently the Aachen mirror cannot find the icon.png file...

Interesting. I just tried http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/leia/pl…bcnews/icon.png as well and I was referred to the same URL as you (why? I'm in South Africa, so I doubt the closest server is in Aachen!) and that gives me a 404 as well.

Which begs the question how this could have been this way for so long. I tried to update for the first time many weeks ago, and I can see a repo or a mirror being broken for a few days but not for weeks on end without anyone noticing. And it's not like the Youtube or Universal Scraper add-ons are so exotic that I'm the only one to try this in recent months.

<scratches head>

• IMO the repo info is just outdated. When ignoring icon load errors and looking on addons there is a try to download youtube 6.6.0. In the repo currently 6.8.6, 6.8.7 and 6.8.8 are available.

Go to Addon Setting sidebar and manually update the repos. If this fails again, post a debug log.

On success enable or increase the "Wait on network" option in LE settings addon.

BTW: the Textures13.db database is corrupt and should be deleted.

• IMO the repo info is just outdated. When ignoring icon load errors and looking on addons there is a try to download youtube 6.6.0. In the repo currently 6.8.6, 6.8.7 and 6.8.8 are available.

Go to Addon Setting sidebar and manually update the repos. If this fails again, post a debug log.

On success enable or increase the "Wait on network" option in LE settings addon.

BTW: the Textures13.db database is corrupt and should be deleted.

According to Kodi, all my repositories are up to date. Kodi Add-On Repository is at version 3.1.9; LibreElec Add-Ons is at 9.2.0. I tried to update but I'm getting the message that "There are currently no updates available for this add-on."

Seeing as I can't update, it seems pointless to post another debug log, since that will not show a failed update. (Right?)

If I delete Textures13.db, will that break anything?

// FvW

• You have another repo, which is a bit hidden at the log:

2020-12-03 15:19:09.039 T:1936779712 NOTICE: ADDON: hellyrepo.kodi v0.2.6 installed

Maybe you get add-on update errors from hellyrepo, and those errors avoid add-on updates from other repos:

2020-12-03 15:21:33.690 T:1566417792 DEBUG: Curl::Debug - TEXT: Connected to flex.vodacom.co.za (91.241.95.156) port 80 (#1)

2020-12-03 15:21:33.690 T:1566417792 DEBUG: Curl::Debug - HEADER_OUT: HEAD /err/?err=404 HTTP/1.1

• You have another repo, which is a bit hidden at the log:

Maybe you get add-on update errors from hellyrepo, and those errors avoid add-on updates from other repos:

The only add-on from that repo is the Xonfluence skin. The universal movie scraper, Youtube add-on etc are unrelated to that repo.

• Open the Addon Settings Sidebar and choose Check for updates.

After deleting Textures13.db the thumbnails will be recreated.

And that did the trick!

What I don't understand is that I've got Kodi add-on updates set to "Notify but don't install" but that doesn't seem to have worked. Manually checking for updates did, though.

Marking thread as "resolved".

Thank you!!!

// FvW

• Kodi Leia is checking updates on startup and then every 24 hours.

The RPI is booting so fast that network is not yet configured when Kodi starts and repos cannot be accessed.

Enable the "Wait on network" option in LE settings addon to have network on Kodi start.