CD ripping issues after update to 9.2.4/18.8

• I updated to 9.2.4/kodi18.8 yesterday after having many frustrations getting artist and title for ripping or playing CDs with the 9.2.3/kodi18.7 . I heard the problem was fixed in 18.8.

As normally happens with these damn never ending updates just a new set of problems…

Now the CDs will not rip. The CD artists and titles are now recogniszed, however the CD may start to rip, make folders then …nothing. Sometines it will rip for a few seconds then quit.

Can anyone else confirm this problem?

• I haven't heard any updates or changes being done in the ripping section of Kodi. It's a feature that was thought to be removed anyway.

Personally I have never used that option in Kodi (or XBMC), not in the least because there are far better CD ripping applications available, such as CDex. After that, Kodi can import simply 'scrape' the .mp3 files in the usual manner.

Alternatively, you can create a ticket in Kodi's Bug Tracker with all full logs and details.

• tekno - I read your 3 posts and have no idea what you are trying to say. You never mentioned what computers are used for Libreelec (Kodi) and your media server (storage) and how they're connected (network). Why are you using Kodi to rip music CD's ?

Using my Windows 10 Desktop Computer and Windows Media Player, I spent 2 weeks ripping my entire CD collection (~100 CD's) to FLAC lossless files and stored them on the same desktop computer, which acts as my media server for my gigabit wired home network. I have Libreelec 9.2.4 (Kodi) running on 2 Intel NUC Mini-Computers and access all my media files using an SMB network connection.

• My Libreelec install is x86_64 and the CD drive is USB while the hard disk is a SATA SSD. This is running on a Mission One mini PC with 2 GB RAM.

Blueribb, sorry you use WIndows.

• Personally I have never used that option in Kodi (or XBMC), not in the least because there are far better CD ripping applications available, such as CDex. After that, Kodi can import simply 'scrape' the .mp3 files in the usual manner.

Seems like most of the LE team is using windows as main OS. Now I understand why nfs-server in LE isn't available. As linux user it's a lot user friendly to use nfs over smb and probably more secure also. (totally off-topic, I know...)

• Seems like most of the LE team is using windows as main OS

Not me. Ubuntu is my daily driver.

Now I understand why nfs-server in LE isn't available.

Not really. Kodi (and LibreELEC) is designed to be a application CLIENT. It is not meant to be a server. It does have SMB because Windows supports it basically as its only sharin, Linux can do both SMB and NFS quite easily. NFS server is not implement in LE because it would add to LibreELEC becoming bloated.

• Not me. Ubuntu is my daily driver.

Sorry for my misinterpretation. CDEX, although opensource, seems to be a windows app.

Not really. Kodi (and LibreELEC) is designed to be a application CLIENT. It is not meant to be a server. It does have SMB because Windows supports it basically as its only sharin, Linux can do both SMB and NFS quite easily. NFS server is not implement in LE because it would add to LibreELEC becoming bloated.

I don't have a problem with this, I just think it's easier to mount a directory structure from a nfs-server on linux then from a SMB server. My LE box has it own hdd, so I have to put files on it on regular base. And yes it would be easier to put everything on my PC or a NAS and serve it to LE. But I'm kind of a low electricity consumer nerd and don't want to run a extra device just to watch a movie.

Probably nfs would indeed just taking space on 90% of the LE-devices.

Edited once, last by roel (August 28, 2020 at 12:13 PM).