Hide drives in Kodis File Manager or restrict access to but share as password protected SMB?

• Hi,

I'm using LibeELEC also als Fileserver with SBM shares. I want to restrict the access to the drives & folders that are in the machine because everybody can access the 24/7 running Kodi installation without a password.

There are folders with some private data i don't want to share inside kodi / kodi filemanager but as SMB with password.

My Disk Setup:

SDA (OS)

SDB (Files)

|_> /Media [as Media in Kodi AND SMB]

|_> /OwnData [SMB but NOT in Kodi FileManager]

1) as far as i understand kodi provides Media Folder automatic as SMB share, so "media" should be fine

2) How can i restrict the access to the folder "OwnData" Folder in LibreElecs FileManager? It should not be accessable from the GUI OR just with a password option. But available as SMB in my network.

SDC (Backup)

|_> /Backup [SMB but NOT in Kodi FileManager]

3) Harddrive [SDC] should NOT be visible in the LibreELEC FileManager

4) "Backup" should be accessable by SMB (or FTP, SSH) like "OwnData"

Or, maybe as another option, is there a way to restrict access to the kodi filemanager? Maybe with different user accounts?

5) as example: autostart kodi with a "no special rights" user that only can access functions like "watch videos from library, start some stream addons" and then, if i need to configure or access something, swith to my "super user"?

Best Regards

Manuel

• Thanks, i just seen that entry. But that handles just the part to create a share, not how to restrict access inside Kodi.

I've also visited the info about profiles (Profiles - Official Kodi Wiki) but it seems that there is not a special user rights management.

Locking (Media sources - Official Kodi Wiki) seems to not be so detailed as i want it.

Maybe i will find something in combination with the "master lock" (Settings/Interface/Master lock - Official Kodi Wiki). As far as i can see, i can disable there the file manager. I'm not at home, so i just can study the documentation. Often it's easier to go through the system to understand or find a solution.

Best Regards

• Remove KODI drives.pdf

Something like this?

At first look this will run into some problem because the pdf describes how to unmount the drives. But i want to mount them in the system to access the by SSH / jobs. But i don't want see them in Kodi / the File Manager...

I think i've figured something out with the Master Lock BUT i found a way to access the "file manager" without typing an password by using the browse function in Movies... So this is not really a secure option

You ca browse your drives / access something similar like the file manager by using

> Movies

> Tags

> ..

> ..

> Files

And here you can access the hard drives without any check / password.

• Have you found the solution? I have exactly the same situation.
    I have Raspberry Pi which is running Libreelec/Kodi. I have hard drives with movies connected to the Raspberry and accessible in the local Kodi GUI, and I also have them shared with my PC through Samba, so I can easily manage it.

Now I want to add one more drive with personal files, to share only with my PC over SMB, but not show up in Kodi.

I want this new HDD mounted all the time and automatically after reboot. Is there a solution to this?

• So I registered just for this one issue, same as the above poster:.

I have Kodi running on LibreElec with all media across a SMB / Samba share on a central NAS. I have two user profiles set up, Adults and Kids, with the Audlts having the Master Lock access set up in theory stopping the Kids from seeing folders/media they're not supposed to. But this isn't working.

Whereas in reality there are many folders I want to share and restrict to different users (adults, guests, kids/children), I'll keep the situation simple:

I have one master file shared, called FILMS with two sub-folders, named PARENTS FILMS and the other KIDS TV;

FILMS >>> PARENTS FILMS

>>> KIDS TV

Quite simply I want to allow Parent/Adults to see all media (including kids programs) and Kids to ONLY be able to see what's the in the folder KIDS TV, but no matter what way I do this (either adding the source FILMS folder as a single SMB share, or adding PARENTS FILMS and subsequently KIDS TV folders as two seperate SMB networks shares) any user in under the Kids profile can ultimately navigate up to the top of the SMB share, click on the '..' and go 'up' the folder structure and then move laterally to see media they're not supposed to.

Now that they're 8+ they're getting savvy and are just starting to realise what this will net them - a veritable treasure trove of films not age apprioriate!

Can anyone point to how I can limit a SMB share to IT and ONLY IT (essentially removing the '..' to block moving up the folder tree) and nothing else?

• just a shot into the dark:

- two partition on the media disk (kids/parents stuff splitted on separate partitions)

- two profiles (kids/parents)

- the kids profile does a umount of the parents partition via a script when kids profile is entered

- the parents profile does a mount ....

- ... ?

+++ Edit +++

are you aware of extra triggering the kids fun of discovering stuff when it's named "PARENTS FILMS"

- haven't you never searched parents room's for presents you'll get at x-mas, when the parents were outdoor ? :saint: -

Edited once, last by GDPR-7 (June 12, 2022 at 11:55 PM).

• I have one master file shared, called FILMS with two sub-folders, named PARENTS FILMS and the other KIDS TV;

You should (/need to) make 2 shares and set the access permissions different between those 2 shared folders.

I don't know if the kids will never see the 'pr0n' share, but they shouldn't be able to look into it.

• another option might be with encrypted folder, but I don't know if that is doable under LE, esp. how to open/close such folders

- ecryptfs or

- ecryption with ext4