Audio passthrough testing

• Thanks, looking forward to it :)

serafis I rebuilt images. Can you try again (same place)?

Thanks, this works a treat on H3 OrangePi PC (in 1080P only, droputs in other resolutions as expected).

Note: need to use either of the two ALSA HDMI "hi-fi" devices listed, not the "SR606" one (my amp is Onkyo TX-SR606) - no sound if I use that one.

- DTS OK

- Dolby Digital OK

- DTS-MA OK

- Dolby TrueHD OK

- Dolby digital WAV audio - OK

- DTS FLAC audio - OK

- MP3 and other audio formats - OK

Great work - looks like a keeper!

• Finally there was some momentum to crack audio passtrough support on mainline kernel. Thanks to the RPi4 effort, I gained better understanding what needs to be done. I believe that first variant is ready to be tested.

Hi Guys, just checking in where to find out the reference to the RPi4 effort to passthrough is coming from? Thanks...........

• hello,

I have a possible stupid question,

I currently Have boxes with AMLogic chips (passthru support) and Rockchip ones (no passthru support :( )

I was thinking of getting a extra box with a Allwinner chip, so I have all flavors of boxes (looks like H6.. series is best ?)

I was wondering if this new passthru feature you are testing also works thru the boxes s/pdif (optical or coaxial) outputs ? (if they box has those ?)

Because I now use passthru on my AMlogic box with the COAX SPDIF output (my amp only has optical and coax spdif, no HDMI support)

or is this passthru you are testing now only with HDMI output support ?

thank you,

Hans

• I was thinking of getting a extra box with a Allwinner chip, so I have all flavors of boxes (looks like H6.. series is best ?)

Yes, H6 is the best.

I was wondering if this new passthru feature you are testing also works thru the boxes s/pdif (optical or coaxial) outputs ?

I tested passthrough only on HDMI, but in theory it should work also on SPDIF. It's currently enabled only on Beelink GS1 (talking about H6). I have to check if my Tanix TX6 has it...

• Yes, H6 is the best.

I tested passthrough only on HDMI, but in theory it should work also on SPDIF. It's currently enabled only on Beelink GS1 (talking about H6). I have to check if my Tanix TX6 has it...

Thank you for the info,

How big do you think my chanses are in getting a random cheap box with for instance a H616 chip to run the image you made here for the beelink ??

• How big do you think my chanses are in getting a random cheap box with for instance a H616 chip to run the image you made here for the beelink ??

None. While H616 is very similar to H6, it has different (better) GPU, can actually use whole 4 GiB of RAM, has different DRAM controller and two ethernet controllers. Needless to say, it's not yet supported in mainline kernel. I'm working on it but it will take plenty of time.

Most other (cheap) H6 boxes won't work with Beelink GS1 image, but I can enable spdif easily. Currently I don't have Tanix TX6 with me, so I can't check if it really has spdif or not (promo websites say it has).

• Ah ok,

Gues ill wait for a new box a bit than,

I actualy tought that H6 meant any H6xx series chip :)

Looks like I am totaly wrong with that one :)

Anyone actualy has Libreelec builds for boxes with H616 ?

• I actualy tought that H6 meant any H6xx series chip

AW actually caused big confusion here. Some H6xx chips are actually compatible with H6. I think they are denoted H60x. I guess H61x means slightly better than H6, but that means that software changes are needed.

Anyone actualy has Libreelec builds for boxes with H616 ?

No, they can't exist. SDK is not publicly released and there is no support for it in U-Boot nor in Linux kernel.

• Hello jernej ,

I did some tests with the image (image that include fix for HDMI) you generated today and PT work super well !!

AC3 : OK

DD+ : OK

DD+ Atmos : OK

TrueHD : OK

TrueHD Atmos : OK

DTS : OK

DTS HD-MA : OK

DTS:X : OK

I will continue my test and I gonna give you more feedback.

• Hello jernej !

Just for your information, I hear small cutoffs in sound with TrueHD Atmos. I changed the System setting "Audio->output configuration" to "Best match" instead of "Optimized", that help but I still hear sound cutoffs.

I continu my tests, for the moment I don't hear cutoff with other sound format.

Edit :

I hear soud cutoffs with DTS:X too

Edited once, last by mike2002 (February 5, 2021 at 4:07 PM).

• jernej I don't test in 1080p for the moment but what I did is to set Kodi GUI in 2160p, set it at 60Hz and adjust display refresh rate switch set to off. With these settings no more cutoff but the movie play at 60hx instead of 24hz. As soon I enable adjust display refrsh rate to "Always" or "On start/stop" cutoffs are back,

• jernej Overall the result is really good !! From far, I prefer that situation to no PT.

For the moment all others sound formats seem to work really well with the adjust refresh rate except these two formats (DTS:X and Atmos). That's really good !