Can't boot from USB Stick

• I think you need to boot, then install the image, but because you have grub it won't.

Wipe the pc hard drive to remove grub. Then boot the image from usb, then follow the wizrd to install to the pc hard drive.

NOTE, I am not an expert, but using the LE installer will wipe the hard drive, it can't be installed onto a partition.

• Phoenix... That's pretty much prehistoric, AFAICT.

What are the other specifications of the laptop: CPU, graphics card, etc.

CPU: Intel Atom N2600, 1600 MHz (16 x 100)

GPU: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series

Memory: 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM

Storage: TOSHIBA MK3259GSXP ATA Device (320 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA-II)

Wi-Fi: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Audio: Realtek ALC662 @ Intel NM10 ICH - High Definition Audio Controller

And some info about BIOS:

Vendor: Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

Version: 1.04_

Release Date: 04/01/2012

Size: 2 MB

System BIOS Version: 0.1

Boot Devices: Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM

Capabilities: Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, Network Service Boot, EDD, BBS

Supported Standards: DMI, ACPI

Expansion Capabilities: PCI, USB

Virtual Machine: No

I think you need to boot, then install the image, but because you have grub it won't.

Wipe the pc hard drive to remove grub. Then boot the image from usb, then follow the wizrd to install to the pc hard drive.

NOTE, I am not an expert, but using the LE installer will wipe the hard drive, it can't be installed onto a partition.

Underscore appears in all three variants (installer, live, run)

• So, you want to install LE on this pc? I take it you have created the installer to a usb stick? If you are booting from the usb stick, then you have the wrong menu. As I said, you have grub, so you need to wipe the drive.You cannot install LE to a partiton.

• Official Post

LE uses syslinux for 64-bit x86_64 boot environments and grub for 32-bit, so presence of grub might just indicate the device is super low-end and has 32-bit boot firmware. Those devices have always been fairly rare so our experience with them is limited, but historically they were always rather awkward to install onto. You might get further removing the ATA! drive and writing the image directly to the HDD via USB > IDE adaptor. You might also need to experiment to BIOS settings (disable EFI, set legacy, or similar).