Can I boot Raspberry Pi 4 B with LibreELEC from USB?

• Hi,

I've just tried the USB-SD Creator for the first time and I see an option to write the Pi 4 image to a USB stick.

If I choose to do that, can I then boot my Pi 4 into LibreELEC from my USB? Are there, perhaps, instructions somewhere on how to do this?

Thanks,

urig

• can I then boot my Pi 4 into LibreELEC from my USB?

No. Unlike the RPi3B+ which can boot from USB, the RPi4B does not support booting from USB (yet).

You can boot from the SDcard and use USB as a subsequent system and storage drive. There are tutorials for that online.

• No. Unlike the RPi3B+ which can boot from USB, the RPi4B does not support booting from USB (yet).

You can boot from the SDcard and use USB as a subsequent system and storage drive. There are tutorials for that online.

Edited once, last by hughparker1: I didn't want to highjack this post so I have removed and created a separate post (March 26, 2020 at 12:40 PM).

• No. Unlike the RPi3B+ which can boot from USB, the RPi4B does not support booting from USB (yet).

Is it possible? I thougt it will get possible in the future.

• Currently there are tests being done with a beta firmware, which supports booting from USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports on the RPi 4B.

So it is already possible. If you feel adventurous, you can upgrade the firmware on your RPi4 and test it for yourself.

klojum,

thanks for your message. So at this moment I am using LE 9.2.1. With the firmware, you meaning the eeeprom bootloader?

• Official Post

Youtube tutorials have surfaced as well:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.