advancedsettings.xml location

• so I've been around Kodi since it was known as XBMC and I have a Kodi windows machine but this is my first Pie experience so keep in mind my newness to the platform and hardware.

I loaded up LibreELEC onto my micro SD card and fired my Pie 4, 4GB b+ and was greeted by the set up instructions. I got my movie repo connected after some fussing but now I'd like to connect to the MySQL server that I have set up and I know I need to edit the advancesetting xml doc to do that but I can't seem to find where that doc is supposed to go in a non-windows machine. Everything I've found just points to the wiki which, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't say where this doc should go on a LibreELEC install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Official Post

There is no way to create the file by UI. You can remove the card, or login by SSH and use the nano editor to create and edit it:

Code
    nano /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

After writing the content, store the file by key combo Control + O, followed by Enter for confirmation. Then leave by Control + X.

• ok, and I need to pull the SD card, drop into a reader and add the file that way or is this something that is created via the Kodi UI?

The userdata file is shared by default on LE, just navigated to the IP address of your Pi and copy over the file.

• There is no way to create the file by UI. You can remove the card, or login by SSH and use the nano editor to create and edit it:

Code
    nano /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

After writing the content, store the file by key combo Control + O, followed by Enter for confirmation. Then leave by Control + X.

ok, so I popped the card in and I don't see that path. Do I need to create these folders? Assuming so is storage the first folder or is that just short hand for the SD card?

Example:

SD card is assigned M

M:/storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Folders to create:

Storage

.kodi

userdata

• Official Post

No, you just have to create the XML file, the rest of the path is already there.

When you plug the card into your PC, search for a partition named STORAGE. This represents the path /storage. Then activate showing hidden files on your PC's file manager. This should make the .kodi folder visible.

• OK, now we're getting somewhere. There isn't a partition called "storage". I pulled up disk manager and on this 128GB micro SD card there is a single 512MB partition called "LIBIREELEC". There is another formated section of the card but it's not assigned a letter and doesn't have a name. The only thing I can do that partition is delete it. I can't explore it in file explorer or anything other than delete. Do I need to create this partition or does this mean something else is wrong?

• Official Post

The storage partition exists, but it's ext4 formatted which means Windows cannot "see" the partition (because Windows doesn't support ext4). You can see the partition on any Linux OS.

Boot LE, enable SSH, login using WinSCP and copy the advancedsettings.xml file, or use PuTTY and copy/paste (might be easier and avoids the temptation of Windows users to create incompatible line-ending files in Notepad.exe).

• AH! There's that lack of experience with the platform... Anyway. I enabled SSH, downloaded PuTTY and was able to get a connection, but wasn't sure what to do next...

Then I noticed I missed a reply

The userdata file is shared by default on LE, just navigated to the IP address of your Pi and copy over the file.

so I went I brought up File Explorer and went to the IP of my Pie and saw the UserData share. I copied over the file and it went over without issue. Everything seems to be working now!

Thanks everyone for your replies and helping a really noob out.