Wireguard - changes the default route although not configured

• Hi, guys, and thanks for all of your work on this.

One suggestion -- you should add one note to the Wiki: Although the "preshared key" is optional, if a preshared key isn't used, the entire line must be deleted. If the line is present, but no key is supplied, the Wireguard instance will fail.

I wasted several hours before I figured this out, and I know others have as well.

• It seems like that the Host i.e Host = 185.210.30.121 in the example tutoral, cannot be a DDNS name. How come?

You're configurating a network interface not an application. NICs route traffic based on IP data and you're basically defining a static IP route to the other end of the tunnel. If you want to handle DDNS hostnames you need something at application level to resolve the hostname to an IP and update the WireGuard config. ConnMan watches the config files; I'm not sure if it can adjust the tunnel routing while the connection is active or it needs to stop/restart the connection first (should be simple to test though).

• 5:I ran:

iptables-save >/storage/.config/iptables/rules.v4 to make it permanent

6: I then activated the personalized firewall in the graphical interface and restarted

after these steps I still had dns leaks.

I therefore configure a fixed ip with the 1st dns 10.2.0.1 and the second pihole.

Could somebody clarify what laurent734 meant by "I configured a fixed IP with the 1st DNS"? Sadly he doesn't seem to be posting here, so I doubt he'll be able to help.

• Code
    WireGuard.DNS = 10.2.0.1, 192.168.1.100

He configured the first as 10.2.0.1 and the second as a local PiHole device in the local network

• This subject is beyond my understanding but I can type code that is in front of me.

Raspberry pi4, libreelec, kodi, openvpn, nord vpn. My issue is my fiber optic speed is 500Mbps but with the vpn service on I only get about 150Mbps, turn it off and I get my 500Mbps. Searching for a resolve I found that Wireguard is superior and much faster. My goodness the install process is quite involved. All I want is vpn on my setup that will get me closer to my available speed. Can I achieve that with Wireguard or are there other options to openvpn?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

• This subject is beyond my understanding but I can type code that is in front of me.

Raspberry pi4, libreelec, kodi, openvpn, nord vpn. My issue is my fiber optic speed is 500Mbps but with the vpn service on I only get about 150Mbps, turn it off and I get my 500Mbps. Searching for a resolve I found that Wireguard is superior and much faster. My goodness the install process is quite involved. All I want is vpn on my setup that will get me closer to my available speed. Can I achieve that with Wireguard or are there other options to openvpn?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Your problem is OpenVPN. That protocol is old and does not allow for higher speeds. As you have noticed, turn to WireGuard instead, it's much faster.