RPI4 - Fast Forward only with "sync playback to display"

• Hello!

I have a new RPI4 (4GB) an have installed Libreelec 9.2.1

The RPI is connected to my TV (Samsung KU6409) with HDMI.

I have not activated/buyed any MPEG licenses.

I had issues with Fast Forward.

If i had the option "sync playback to Display" on, Fast Forward (up to 32x) work very well. The Screen is updating very fast.

If i turn off this option, Fast Forward will not work correctly. For a short time it will work, but then the Video is Playing (a second or so) with normal Speed and than it Skips many Seconds. Than the Video is playing at normal speed...and so on.

If I understand it correctly, it is actually recommended to have this setting switched off. Audio bypass will not work with this Option...and my Receiver (Marantz NR1506) only use Stereo (even if the number of channels is set correctly). I don't know if this is another Bug.

I have made 2 logs:

Sync playback to Display - on

http://ix.io/2gd9

Sync playback to Display - off

http://ix.io/2gdd

I don't know if it's a bug from Raspberry, Libreelec or Kodi. I hope I'm right here.

I have also tested with an older 1.Gen Fire TV Stick. There is no issue with that.

Many thanks!

Bismosa

• Hello,

Why would you want that?

This option is by default turned off.

it is recommended, because...?

I have read many times that this option is "no longer needed". Audio must be transcoded and no passthrough with this option.

And i cant get 4.1 Sound to my receiver with this option turned on. So for me it is not an option to use this setting?

Sorry, but I have no clue why you would change settings that already make the RPi4 work properly.

I think that the default settings should actually work? But unfortunately they don't. Or i made a mistake?

Many thanks!

Bismosa

• Official Post

Default settings must have some value setting. It doesn't mean that they are applicable to everybody's Kodi setup.

The optimal settings are different when you have a PC monitor attached instead of a TV. A monitor usually has only 60Hz (gaming monitors have faster panels), but TV's can change their display rate so they have the optimum settings for displaying 23/24fps videos.

You'll need to figure out what the best settings are for your Kodi setup, and not simply enable/disable certain settings because "someone said so".

• Hello!

I don't think this should be about the best setting, what are the default settings, etc.

I am aware that different hardware requires different settings. I've been trying to find this attitude for days and hours now. But I don't succeed.

I currently only have 2 options:

Setting on: Fast-Forward works, but i get only stereo sound

Setting off: No Fast-Forward, but i get Sound on all my Speakers

I am not happy with either variant.

With my old Raspberry Pi with OE15 there is no problem. With a Fire TV Stick there is also no problem.

I thought this area is for bug reports. I think there is a bug. Or I'm doing something wrong.

Regards

Bismosa

• Hello!

Somehow I expected this answer ...i have read it multiple times.

Fast Forward is important for me. Me and my Family (especially the children) can deal with it much better. We have tried it...but nobody was happy with it. I am faster with Fast Forward to find the end of commercials.

Another example. I like to watch motorsport. If i don't have enough time, i like to watch in 4x or 8x. When the time for pit stops comes or interesting overtaking maneuvers i press Play and watch in Realtime. I can´t do it with skip.

We only use skip if we e.g. want to jump to the middle of the film. Or the time to Fast Forward is to long.

Regards

Bismosa