9.2.1 on RPi4: HEVC from TV recording has no playback controls

  • I see you have teletext in your recordings?Can you try to disable that from tvheadend side..create a blacklist from stream profile you are using to record?

  • I've tried to narrow things a bit down. With the example file provided earlier, I reduced file size in 50 MB chunks until the playback controls turned up, which was when I reached file size 2085391219 bytes. Then I verified by creating a file 50 MB larger, i.e. 2135391220 bytes. No playback controls there. So I now on this file that just don't works I did

    Code
      tail -c 50000000 broken.ts > offending_part.ts

    and just only played this part. And, lo and behold, I have playback controls, so I'd infer it's not in the data.


    I clamied earlier that the problem was not related to file size, since I had 1.4 GB recordings showing the problems - strange enough, I can no longer reproduce it, although I swear they showed the problem! Perhaps at some point the player just gets broken and a reboot is required.


    So I picked another, different file not working, and tried shorten it - this time by 10 MB chunks -, with similar but not exactly the same results: 2154473940 bytes have plackback control (larger than above's not-working-file), 2169473940 bytes no longer have playback controls.


    Now it comes: After this, the file in the beginning of the post I said is not working, having 2135391220 bytes, is now working - so it is not even a strictly reproducible problem (which might explain why earlier I claimed a 1.4 GB did not work). RAM seems not to be the problem, I used a small python script to eat up loads of RAM, playback control situation stayed the same. Stupid me, ran the script on the wrong machine... will redo... Redid: RAM is not affecting it.


    After a reboot, situation remaind as described: only the largest of the truncated files does not show playback controls...


    Maybe it is a problem of Raspberry OS still being 32 bit? The above file sizes not working are remarkably close to 1024 * 1024 * 1024 bytes = 2.147.483.648 bytes, and as far as I understand, this is a limit for 32 bit systems. Still, somehow I don't believe that's the reason - many media files are larger... And the second, working is already beyond that limit...


    Last thing possible: The Raspberry works through all files in an asynchronous process and stores metadata in its database. And when the files are fresh, the duration is missing. After a while, the process is done and the information is there and suddenly the files work... Still, I don't believe it: Many files not working are there longer than those not working in the beginneng but working now. Still, what I will do is leave the device running for a few hours and see if things have changed...


    In the meanwhile: Does what I write above help anyone to get this puzzle solved?


    EDIT!!!: Tried something I should have done in the first place: Copied the file from the network location to RPi SD card --> Playback controls are there for the original file! I guess that should help finding th issue...?

    Edit 2: Also USB stick works locally, but not via network.

    Edited 2 times, last by Hauke ().

  • I see you have teletext in your recordings?Can you try to disable that from tvheadend side..create a blacklist from stream profile you are using to record?

    Sorry for not answering this - I think no need to try this - see my last post - especially the Edits...

  • Sorry for not answering this - I think no need to try this - see my last post - especially the Edits...

    Strange one but glad it s working...probably you can mount your network location to your LE instead of moving recordings..

  • would be interesting what Happens, If you mount the Share as lokal Volume....


    Mounting network shares [LibreELEC.wiki]


    Regards

    Nicolas

  • would be interesting what Happens, If you mount the Share as lokal Volume....

    Works! Playback controls there if I mount the CIFS volume locally... Does this tell anything helpful?


    Btw.: For me it will be of no importance. The disk is a network place currently since it is mounted to the AMlogic based media center which I plan to replace with Raspberry 4 - so the drive will be a local drive after all.

  • So, with Drives localy mounted there are No issues. Only If you use a share which ist Not mmounted locally.


    Had such an issue on a Friends rpi3b with a Share from a NAS, playback controls were working sometimes but Out of the blue the Video was lagging and then stops. Turns Out it Was an issue with the rights of the folder.


    Regards

    Nicolas

  • Turns Out it Was an issue with the rights of the folder.


    Will double check, but basically the folder is open for everyone anonymously for read and write. And mounting the share locally will not change the access rights I suppose...