[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• Testing 8.0.1b I had no trouble with h.264, h.265, vc-1 and other files played from NAS. But Youtube and twitch, using the official libreelec/kodi addons gave me a ton of trouble. Youtube videos would randomly freeze after a few minutes, twitch streams would also freeze several times during me watching a single stream for about 30 minutes. Need to do further testing, but playing the same stream using an android device on the same internet connection was completly fine, so I dare to rule out any internet connectivity issue of my router.

Edited once, last by mmpp (March 27, 2017 at 11:45 PM).

• Hi,
    I have recently bought a TP-LINK TL-WN823N v2 usb dongle (using 8192eu module) to be used as replacement for the TX3 Pro internal wireless adapter.
    Unfortunately it keeps disassociating from the AP every few minutes despite having a stronger signal and more throughput (I have tested it with multiple APs).

Any clues?
    Do you recommend a wireless usb dongle that is proven to work ? Maybe something using the cfg80211 subsystem?
    thanks

Using LE 8.0.1b on s905x (TX3 Pro 1G)

Edited once, last by goooo (March 28, 2017 at 3:42 AM).

• Hi everyone. I got the sunvell t95x (2g/8g version) and I tried to install Libreelec (I am new to this so I hope I did nothing wrong), but I cannot seem to find any wifi networks. When I go to settings-->Libreelec, there is nothing next to the connection tab.
    I tried both gxl_p212_2g.dtb and gxl_p212_2g_nand.dtb
    but none of them changed anything.
    Can someone help me?
    I cannot boot to android as I changed the bootvideo and a line in the build.prop file in the folder system/etc and since then I just get a yellow flickering screen when it tries to boot to android, so Libreelec is my final solution before sending sunvell t95x to the garbage .

these t95x seem to be using an SCI wifi chip and currently dont have any drivers... its unfortunate. i hope you find a way to fix your box soon.

• Hi kszaq

8.0.1b seems much better on my M8S II (see signature). I was still using 7.x, because with passthrough I had a lot of skip frames with 8.0/8.01 (and I don't think my material or setup, Synology NAS using OS mounted NFS shares, is to blame). Thanks again for your work :)

• Hi everyone!
    About [8.0.1b] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X
    No more darker screen on boot, much more pleasant colors on movies (vivid colors mode I should say). Analog audio output better than digital output (clear sound) on soundbar - before I didn't notice a difference. Something weird, no system freezing/crashing after this update, all LE 8 updates were plagued by crashes who fixed themselves after reboots.

• I spoke too soon about skip frames, I still encounter some when using passthrough (to an optical sound bar) with Kodi 17.1 :(

kszaq, do you plan to "backport" this kernel update to 7.03 ? I still find Kodi 16.1 to be the best release on S905X...

In order to test this new kernel with 7.03, I've unpacked kernel.img with abootimg.
    Do I only have to overwrite zImage before building the new .img ?

Thanks in advance !

• 8.0.1b
    Box: Tanix TX5 Pro

The picture quality is better but there are some frame skips. Video often freezes when seeking back.
    Still having -175ms delay that needs to be corrected with advancedsettings.xml.
    Looks very promising.

• I spoke too soon about skip frames, I still encounter some when using passthrough (to an optical sound bar) with Kodi 17.1 :(

kszaq, do you plan to "backport" this kernel update to 7.03 ? I still find Kodi 16.1 to be the best release on S905X...

In order to test this new kernel with 7.03, I've unpacked kernel.img with abootimg.
    Do I only have to overwrite zImage before building the new .img ?

Thanks in advance !

When the changes are considered stable, I will port them to my 7.0 build. You might be able to replace zImage only, but I can't promise it'll work.

• When the changes are considered stable, I will port them to my 7.0 build. You might be able to replace zImage only, but I can't promise it'll work.

Thanks !

I must have done something wrong, a repacked kernel.img with the new zImage does not boot...

• When the device is decompressing the audio, it is limited to 96khz (as kszaq suggests) due to restrictions in the onboard DAC. When you passthrough the DTS-MA track, the device does not touch the original bitstream and your amplifier decodes the audio at the full 192khz.

NEXBOX A95X:

• I tried the Samsung file and it plays fine here on 8.0.1b

Hmm, interesting...
    Maybe difference is in our chips. I have S905 (look to my signature).
    On my box is Samsung Ocean Demo very jerky and too much pictures are skipped. Sometime is video freeze for a while and then are lot of frames lost.
    You can see it on my record of TV screen with activated video information in KODI (Ctrl-Shift-O) here:
    MOV_0078.mp4 - Google Drive

The same problems i have on some other videos. Seems, this issue is with H264 videos. H265 videos seem OK... For example hi bitrate UHD H265 test video jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv plays perfect and smoothly...

And as I said before. 8.0.1a version is without this issues, all videos play smoothly...
    I must go down to 8.0.1a version meanwhile .. :(

Edited once, last by Whitesak (March 28, 2017 at 8:01 PM).

• Hi kszaq, Daz here from South Africa, I've been using your amazing libreelec builds for about a month or so on my Nexbox A95X 1g/8g and WOW thank you so much for all the amazing work you've done I've seen a lot of improvements with my s905x device keep up the great work. 8.0.1b working very nicely for me.

• Maybe difference is in our chips. I have S905 (look to my signature).
    On my box is Samsung Ocean Demo very jerky and too much pictures are skipped. Sometime is video freeze for a while and then are lot of frames lost.

I can second that both files are played very jerky by my S905. I am too lazy to unpack the S905X again, as Jaaxx has already tested the files.

The same problems i have on some other videos. Seems, this issue is with H264 videos. H265 videos seem OK... For example hi bitrate UHD H265 test video jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv plays perfect and smoothly...

And as I said before. 8.0.1a version is without this issues, all videos play smoothly...

I did tests today with many more files, from old divx, to wmv3 and h.264 and h.265. I have yet to find a file in my (quite large and diverse) collection, that does not play well in 8.0.1b.
    [hr]

But Youtube and twitch, using the official libreelec/kodi addons gave me a ton of trouble. Youtube videos would randomly freeze after a few minutes, twitch streams would also freeze several times during me watching a single stream for about 30 minutes. Need to do further testing, but playing the same stream using an android device on the same internet connection was completly fine, so I dare to rule out any internet connectivity issue of my router.

Did further testing today and was prepared to generate logs, but the twitch addon behaved and ran very stable on 8.0.1b. Must have been something odd with twitch or the streamer yesterday.

Edited once, last by mmpp (March 28, 2017 at 8:22 PM).

• I can second that both files are played very jerky by my S905. I am too lazy to unpack the S905X again, as Jaaxx has already tested the files.
    I did tests today with many more files, from old divx, to wmv3 and h.264 and h.265. I have yet to find a file in my (quite large and diverse) collection, that does not play well in 8.0.1b.
    [hr]

Hi,
    I think, I know where is "problem" on jerky played files on 8.0.1b version. This problem has H264 videos, which are encoded with more then 10 Reference Frames.
    Samsung Ocean Demo has 16 ref frames and my jerky files from my camera have 12 ref. frames.
    I did reencode with this results:
    8 ref frames - OK
    10 ref frames - OK
    12 ref frames - bad, very jerky
    14 ref frames - bed vary jerky

So, but is necessary to say, encoding videos with more than 10 ref rrames is not usual ... But on versions from 7.0.3 to 8.0.1a was not problem... :)