[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• To update I need to create an Update folder on sd card, put the update file there and reboot?

No, you don't create an update folder on your SD card. It doesn't work like that.

Try access your TV box using Samba share (e.g. Window Explorer), there you'll find a folder named 'Update' (together with other 10 folders). Copy the tar or img.gz file to that folder (together with the dtb file if needed).

• To update I need to create an Update folder on sd card, put the update file there and reboot?

You can also connect to your libreelec box shared folders on the lan if smb shares are activated in the settings.

Try to type :
    \\libreelec
    In a file manager from a machine on the same lan

Then move the image file you downloaded into the update folder.
    When transfer is finished, reboot the box and the update should start

Edited once, last by Tidav7578 (February 11, 2017 at 6:31 PM).

• Is there a way to backup a working system before update? And restore if problems with update?

Yes, go to LibreELEC Settings -> System -> Backup -> Create System and Kodi Backup. Then there'll be a zip file with date and time stamped in the 'Backup' folder. Copy the file to your PC or somewhere using Samba share (e.g. Window Explorer on a PC).

Next do whatever you need to do to create your SD card, after the first boot is finished, copy the zip file back to the 'Backup' folder. Then go to LibreELEC Settings -> System again but click on 'Restore Backup' this time. It will show the name of the zip file you want to restore, click OK. After a while (depends on how big is your file), it will ask whether you want to reboot to restore the settings, click 'Yes'.

• ... Then go to LibreELEC Settings -> System again but click on 'Restore Backup' this time. It will show the name of the zip file you want to restore, click OK. After a while (depends on how big is your file), it will ask whether you want to reboot to restore the settings, click 'Yes'.

And this also sets back the version? Because the beta 6 screws with the passthough. Can't get it to work at all. Beta 5b all good...

Edited once, last by JulGer (February 11, 2017 at 7:07 PM).

• And this also sets back the version? Because the beta 6 screws with the passthough. Can't get it to work at all. Beta 5b all good...

You don't need to backup to switch from beta6 to beta5b. Simply "update" from 6 to 5b and all should work.

jd17 I will take a look at PQ. Now that fractional frame rates are fixed this would be the next thing to look at. :)

• Is your Box is a Nexbox A95x S905 ??
    If it is , That is Normal Behaviour using LE and you have to live with it.

I'm confused, I have the Nexbox A95x, which is S905X. Is there a different S905 version?

Mine turns on and off with the remote and I didn't put in a custom remote.conf, just the default.

For the dtb, there are only two files for S905X, one for 1GB and another for 2GB

• You don't need to backup to switch from beta6 to beta5b. Simply "update" from 6 to 5b and all should work.

jd17 I will take a look at PQ. Now that fractional frame rates are fixed this would be the next thing to look at. :)

Do you think there's some log I can search to understand what happened during my update ?
    Is it worth investigating ?

• at the moment i'm running with a s905 libreelec 7.0.3.012h.

When i want to update to: 8.0.7.95.beta6, and i want to make a fresh install.

can i do the following:
    Download the image, and put it on a sd card with win32diskimager.
    Boot the s905 box so i boots from the sd card, ssh command: installtointernal.
    will this reinstall the whole box? and with a clean install?
    can someone verify this?

• This time I also had a look at the Spears&Munsil chroma upsampling pattern and the difference between Jarvis and Krypton is very obvious.
    I am not really capable to take a picture of the phenomenon... I tried.

However in Krypton, all the "Low Frequency Zone Plates" look much worse than even Nearest Neighbor, extremely blocky. :exclamation:
    In Jarvis, they look like something between Nearest Neighbor and Bilinear on the upper circles, Bilinear or Bicubic on the lower circles.

Patterns:

Explanations:
    Choosing a Color Space, 2nd Edition | Spears & Munsil

The "High Frequency Diagonal Bursts" are also much worse in Krypton.

Thank you for providing the link to the sample files and explanation. I did some testing today and can confirm your observations: The images from Krypton and Jarvis are different, and Jarvis is the less blocky one.

As far as I followed the development, the kernel is the same for both versions. So presumably, somewhere in the code, the video decoder might be initialized slightly differently.

• I'm confused, I have the Nexbox A95x, which is S905X. Is there a different S905 version?

Mine turns on and off with the remote and I didn't put in a custom remote.conf, just the default.

For the dtb, there are only two files for S905X, one for 1GB and another for 2GB

Yes, this are different boxes.
    Weird thing is that some day after soft reboot using reboot app in android my box was turning on and off via remote .... but only until next power cycle :(