[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• I tried something today. I activated bluetooth, then selected bluetooth PulseAudio and after that connected to a bluetooth enabled speaker. The result was a very delayed sound experience and when playing music it was stuttering with long pauses. I thought I'd share this.

• I tried something today. I activated bluetooth, then selected bluetooth PulseAudio and after that connected to a bluetooth enabled speaker. The result was a very delayed sound experience and when playing music it was stuttering with long pauses. I thought I'd share this.

I just made the same test, with the same device I think (Mini MXIII II s905x ), and obtained the same result. The audio was totallly unusable, long delay and intermittent sound.

• The fix for remote buttons is ready for the next build. Meanwhile you can temporarily fix it by running systemctl stop eventlircd.

Thanks kszaq - in the meantime, I have a question about default framerate. When my box (s905x 2GB) boots up it seems to default to 1920x1080p60. I would prefer if it it used 1920x1080p50 as most of the stuff I watch is TV or DVD from Europe. I know the framerate will adapt depending on the source material, but I would like it to default to 50Hz. Seems to be a property of the .dtb?

• I just made the same test, with the same device I think (Mini MXIII II s905x ), and obtained the same result. The audio was totallly unusable, long delay and intermittent sound.

I think we have the same device (mine has 32GB internal storage which cost me a bit too much but that's live). I tried it several times as I thought it was due too me switching from HDMI to D.IN then to BT (all via my Samsung soundplate). Results were always the same

• Gregoir3 Centurione BT Audio problems with MiniMXIII II may be due to low baud rate used in hciattach. I will bump it in the next build. This will either fix BT Audio or break BT completely. ;)
    [hr]

Thanks kszaq - in the meantime, I have a question about default framerate. When my box (s905x 2GB) boots up it seems to default to 1920x1080p60. I would prefer if it it used 1920x1080p50 as most of the stuff I watch is TV or DVD from Europe. I know the framerate will adapt depending on the source material, but I would like it to default to 50Hz. Seems to be a property of the .dtb?

This is set by u-boot. Try fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p50hz; fw_setenv outputmode 1080p50hz.

Edited once, last by kszaq (January 15, 2017 at 11:12 AM).

• The fix for remote buttons is ready for the next build. Meanwhile you can temporarily fix it by running systemctl stop eventlircd.

Thanks buttons are working again.
    I did make it permanent:

Code
    /storage/.config/autostart.sh

#!/bin/bash
    systemctl stop eventlircd
    exit

• Gregoir3 Centurione BT Audio problems with MiniMXIII II may be due to low baud rate used in hciattach. I will bump it in the next build. This will either fix BT Audio or break BT completely. ;)
    [hr]

This is set by u-boot. Try fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p50hz; fw_setenv outputmode 1080p50hz.

Wow, thanks! Low baud rate, I, you know, like, suspected as much. (Not LOL) Can't wait.

• so, here is a log where skipping behind 0:00 makes the video hang (while the OSD claims to play from 0:00).
    pausing and playing does not get it back to work, but skipping ahead does.

as I said earlier,
    1. this only occurs with some video files and I have not found out on what it depends. other mkv conatained h264 videos with encoded audio do not show this behaviour.
    2. hardware or software decoding does not make a difference.

as for lircd, I entered "systemctl stop eventlircd" and as kszaq said, all buttons on the packaged remote (that I don't normally use) work ok afterwards (p.e. home does not before). but top still says "/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd" is consuming around 35 % of CPU.

finally, what is the difference between the suggested "fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p50hz; fw_setenv outputmode 1080p50hz" and what I'm doing now: "echo 1080p50hz > /sys/class/display/mode" ?

thank you!
    [hr]

Known issues:

• If you use S905X device with TV without HDR support the screen will be darker than normal on boot. It goes back to normal after you start/stop a video.

this is not really a big problem but it triggers certain OCD patterns since I started using your builds.
    is it somehow possible to let kodi play a very short (ideally user defined) video when starting up?
    I seem to remember reading somewhere on freaktab that people wanted to implement this for android but didn't find the elegant way, but LE is something else entirely.
    any ideas are welcome and I'll be happy to fiddle with it and share the results, but I don't know where to start.

Edited once, last by juramusger (January 15, 2017 at 3:49 PM).

• as for lircd, I entered "systemctl stop eventlircd" and as kszaq said, all buttons on the packaged remote (that I don't normally use) work ok afterwards (p.e. home does not before). but top still says "/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd" is consuming around 35 % of CPU.

This is the main Kodi process, lirc is only an argument that points Kodi to lirc in case you wanted to use it. The usage is completely normal.

finally, what is the difference between the suggested "fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p50hz; fw_setenv outputmode 1080p50hz" and what I'm doing now: "echo 1080p50hz > /sys/class/display/mode" ?

The first one switches initial display mode: u-boot level, splash screen and in Android. The latter switches display mode at runtime.
    [hr]

@all 7.90beta2 build posted in OP - fixes and improvements included.

Really big thanks to Peak3D who redesigned AML decoder in Kodi Krypton. Thank to his hard work and patience we can now have near-perfect HW-accelerated video playback in Kodi Krypton!

I'm currently rebuilding addons and will update repositories soon.

Edited once, last by kszaq (January 15, 2017 at 4:49 PM).

• kszaq - I noticed you had updated to beta2, so I loaded it and remote works fine for me now (same as stopping eventlircd earlier) - many thanks. Was there a mapping change somewhere?
    Following on from this , does it mean that mapping of remote buttons (built-in IR remote) could now be tweaked by users using the Lircmap.xml etc. methods? Or is this a future feature?

• juramusger:

You could use the xbmc-send command with the PlayMedia() action.

Example with URL (for your usecase you could place a file on the sdcard and give the full path and name instead of an URL):

Code
    kodi-send --action 'PlayMedia("http://www.sample-videos.com/video/mp4/720/big_buck_bunny_720p_1mb.mp4")'

You could use autostart.sh in the config directory to run this command after kodi has started.

Edited once, last by mmpp (January 15, 2017 at 4:58 PM).

• kszaq - I noticed you had updated to beta2, so I loaded it and remote works fine for me now (same as stopping eventlircd earlier) - many thanks. Was there a mapping change somewhere?
    Following on from this , does it mean that mapping of remote buttons (built-in IR remote) could now be tweaked by users using the Lircmap.xml etc. methods? Or is this a future feature?

In beta1 some buttons were not working because keys were parsed by eventlircd rather than sent directly to Kodi.

For future builds I plan to add a possibility to switch internal IR receiver driver to LIRC so that you would be able to use any IR remote with built-in receiver. The downside of this approach is a bit slower button parsing than with amremote driver and not being able to use remote.conf files - you would have to configure every button on fresh install. That's why this will be optional and not default behaviour in my builds.

• Thanks kszaq, I've updated my box to beta2 and tested couple of video samples. Works a lot smoother, video starts to play much faster than before. Thanks for build without temp sensor, so far no issue in that area, occasionally I've checked box after some stress it was only a little bit warmer than my hand. Thumbs up!

• In beta1 some buttons were not working because keys were parsed by eventlircd rather than sent directly to Kodi.

For future builds I plan to add a possibility to switch internal IR receiver driver to LIRC so that you would be able to use any IR remote with built-in receiver. The downside of this approach is a bit slower button parsing than with amremote driver and not being able to use remote.conf files - you would have to configure every button on fresh install. That's why this will be optional and not default behaviour in my builds.

Ah - ok. I think I understand (LIRC was always voodoo to me, but I liked the control over the button mapping!). As regard configuring - the LIRC config files can be maintained in user space so no real issue on a fresh install as far as I'm concerned.
    I've turned on HW decoding for my SD mpeg2 DVD rips and it seems to be working really smoothly. It has certainly reduced the CPU usage. Many thanks!

Edited once, last by fat-tony (January 15, 2017 at 5:47 PM).

• juramusger:

You could use the xbmc-send command with the PlayMedia() action.

Example with URL (for your usecase you could place a file on the sdcard and give the full path and name instead of an URL):

Code
    kodi-send --action 'PlayMedia("http://www.sample-videos.com/video/mp4/720/big_buck_bunny_720p_1mb.mp4")'

You could use autostart.sh in the config directory to run this command after kodi has started.

thanks for the idea, but it doesn't work sadly. I can start the cideo via ssh this way, but adding the line to autostart has no effect. isn't autostart.sh too "early"?

in the meantime I read Kodi Animation thread and XBMC Intro Movie.
    it seems I need to make a copy of the integrated Estuary skin and edit home.xml or startup.xml. I hope I will find the time sometime next week.

following the suggestion in KODI 17 - Enable Playlist At Startup, I now use the "Partymode autostart" add on from the official repo. This is not perfect, as it displays the main menu for a couple of frames before it starts the video you select in its configuration. but for the moment it's good enough for me, so for anyone interested, this is certainly the easiest way to start LE with the right brightness on a S905x box and no HDR TV.

[hr]

thanks kszaq for answers and new build, will also test next week.

Edited once, last by juramusger (January 15, 2017 at 6:35 PM).

• thanks for the idea, but it doesn't work sadly. I can start the cideo via ssh this way, but adding the line to autostart has no effect. isn't autostart.sh too "early"?

I checked, you might be right: It is parsed before kodi starts. But you can use it with a trick (see Autostart.sh - OpenELEC)

Code
    (
    sleep 10s;
    kodi-send ...
    ) &

should give kodi enough time to finish the startup.