R Pi4B hangs/ freezes when in Playback of any movie w/o a physical Keyboard

• Does anyone else have this issue? 3

1. Yes (0) 0%
    2. No (3) 100%

Hi,

I have an Raspberry PI4B (4GB) with an 64 GB SD-card.

I am using the latest stable LibreELEC (9.2.0, RPi4.arm, kernel: Linux 4.19.83) with Kodi 18.5 (Build: Git:leia_pi4_18.5-Leia, Compiled: 2019-11-23).

And I noticed the following:

When using RPI4/ Kodi without an physical keyboard connected to the Raspberry the playback of any movie will freeze/ hang Kodi within a maximum of approx 30 seconds. If lucky a couple of minutes.

LibreELEC (Linux) will still continue to run in the background, so you can connect (SSH) and reboot the RPI4, but the Kodi GUI is totally frozen/ hanged.

This has been troubleing me for a while now, and everytime I wanted to send the debug-logs I connected the keyboard and then LibreELEC/ Kodi worked fine/ as expected.

I usually use Kodi without a physical keyboard and remote it via an Android App on the phone called Yatse, and this usually works great, but not with LibreELEC/ Kodi w/o a physical keyboard connected.

If I connect a physical keyboard to the RPI4 the configuration above with remoteing Kodi with Yatse also works great.

It seems to be the lack of a physical connected keyboard to the RPI4B to be the problem.

And I guess anyone of you could reproduce the error by disconnecting the keyboard and then starting a playback of any title.

Does anyone else have this issue?

• Really, a poll..?

If you want a debug log, you can also SSH into the RPi4 and upload the log file(s) from the command line. No need to directly connect your keyboard to the RPi4.

Use pastebinit ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log to beam up your log file.

• Really, a poll..?

If you want a debug log, you can also SSH into the RPi4 and upload the log file(s) from the command line. No need to directly connect your keyboard to the RPi4.

Use pastebinit ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log to beam up your log file.

Yes, a poll, I am a little new to this and saw that it was possible, so I got curious. :)

Thanks for the tip about "pastebinit", but the thing was, that every time I wanted to report this issue before, I did connect an keyboard (Logitech K400), and then everything then worked as expected, so I did not get an useful log-file about the freezing of Kodi.

But maybe everyone else always has an keyboard connected all the time, so this issue/ bug has not been "discovered".

I also always have the keyboard connected, but because it is wireless it is usually powered off, and that does apperently not work for Kodi.

I thought it would be easy for you to reproduce the error (just disconnect the keyboard and start any movie), so I did not upload any log-files, but let me know if you need them anyway.

• I'm pretty sure that of all RPi users, not many of them will attach a corded USB keyboard. But if that works for you, that's fine of course.

As we have no crystal ball here, yes we would like to see the full, debug-enabled, kodi.log file.

Instructions:

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Sorry,

did not have any time to follow up until now.

Well, maybe it does not have to do with the keyboard, but it seem less often with the keyboard.

Since last I have experienced this.

Movie hangs/ freezes with keyboard also, but maybe not as often/ fast?

It has probably nothing to do with Yatse/ Kore, I have tried both and it behaves the same.

I will now try to produce some logs....

• Tried to reinstall LibreElec/ Kodi, but no difference.

Only installed Add-On is the "Rar-filesystem".

Here is the Kodi-log:

and the dmesg:

Edited once, last by MrMason: Logs no longer needed (March 5, 2020 at 11:15 AM).

• Solved:

I installed "Raspbian" instead, and installed Kodi.

It turnes out there is still the same error, after a little playback Kodi freezes.

So I went and bought a new RPi4, moved the SDcard, keyboard etc over to the new unit, turned it on and now everything works as it should have from the beginning.

So I turnes out to be an Hardware-issue on the old RPi4, which I returned to the store. I got this very early after the release, so maybe the manufacturing process was not good yet.

Because this has always been an issue since I bought the RPi4, I thought it was an issue with LibreElec, because when I got it, LibreElec was still only an beta-version.

I am still running "Raspbian" but I guess now LibreElec would also work good. . . . .