Argon One Fan Control

• I just set mine up but can't control the fan by temp. I know this was written sometime ago and I'm wondering if things have improved. Here's where I'm at:

1. Installed Kodi
    2. Installed System Tools
    3. Installed Raspberry PI Tools
    4. Installed Argon scripts: curl argonone-setup-libreelec.sh | bash
    5. I also ran the Argon utility and set fan to off, then back to on, maybe that's where I went wrong
    6. Button and IR works perfectly so I know the scripts did their job, problem is fan stays off.

I did check that the script was in the correct place but I also read that there may be 2 scripts. Any ideas?

Edited 2 times, last by Skripo (February 18, 2021 at 12:53 PM).

• I just set mine up but can't control the fan by temp. I know this was written sometime ago and I'm wondering if things have improved. Here's where I'm at:

1. Installed Kodi
    2. Installed System Tools
    3. Installed Raspberry PI Tools
    4. Installed Argon scripts: curl argonone-setup-libreelec.sh | bash
    5. I also ran the Argon utility and set fan to off, then back to on, maybe that's where I went wrong
    6. Button and IR works perfectly so I know the scripts did their job, problem is fan stays off.

I did check that the script was in the correct place but I also read that thee may be 2 scripts. Any idea

Same. I tried the same method but doesn't work. It show argononed.services failed. Also tried OSMC script also not working. Anyone know how to fix this. Currently using the latest nightlies build.

1. Button and IR works perfectly so I know the scripts did their job, problem is fan stays off.

did you check the temperature of your RPi4. Below 55 degrees, the FAN is not running, 10% bewlow 60 degrees )you will not hear), 55% speed above 60 degrees and on full speed above 65 degress. The configuration is in the file /etc/argonone.conf file.

You can send commands to the ArgonOne controller over I2C, see Argon-ONE-i2c-Codes.

Good to hear, that the IR is working fine. Is On/Off via IR also working?

• No I’m not using nightlies but now it works all of a sudden. Welcome to crazy town.

As people have already said, the fan is ridiculously loud. Replacing it is a pain because most 30mm fans come with the usual jumper leads. Trying to crimp a little connector on those would be a nightmare, I’ll most likely solder it in place.

I ordered some GeekPi fans which I hope will fix the problem. My previous Smraza fans were inaudible. It’s sad that such a beautiful and expensive enclosure fell flat on its face when it comes to a cooling fan. Isn’t cooling its claim to fame?

Edited once, last by Skripo (February 18, 2021 at 12:53 PM).

• I'm using the LE10 nightlies. Already tried editing the config based on this thread. But still not working. Changing it to always on also not working.

Config should be in /storage right?

Does using LE10 affect it?

• did you check the temperature of your RPi4. Below 55 degrees, the FAN is not running, 10% bewlow 60 degrees )you will not hear), 55% speed above 60 degrees and on full speed above 65 degress. The configuration is in the file /etc/argonone.conf file.

I lowered all my settings by 10 degrees but as I said, it now magically works. No idea what changed, I swear.

You can send commands to the ArgonOne controller over I2C, see Argon-ONE-i2c-Codes.

That is very cool but I never shut down my boxes. My computer is the same, it is always on or sleeping. Still cool that you can actually power down. Maybe I will use the soft sleep if it doesn't have to reboot but I can't experiment right now, the box is in pieces waiting for proper fans that I hope to get today.

My case also had a broken standoff. I wrote the company and they didn't respond so I guess it's going back to Amazon for a replacement. I will update my IR guide and files in the showcase forum to include the codes in my remote map if it works nicely.

• which temperature do you have on your RPi4. Mine are usually at low fourties (and the fan is not running).

ypu can set different CPU/FAN releations in the configuration file.

• Can control the fan speed based on CPU temperature using BASH script in LibreELEC.

No IR remote is required to switch on, since it is automated

I have tested this script with TinkerBoard works fine.

Simple circuit I have made to achieve it using PWM, you can view here

• are you using LE10 nightlies ?

I'm using nightlies. The Argonone fan stopped working a year or more ago when the nightlies switched to Python3. The power button still works but fan no longer works. The heat sink is good enough to prevent the RPi from going over 55°C under normal circumstances so have not been particularly worried. Thanks for your development work. It's a great project. Seeing it nudge towards "10" is fascinating. The 210218 release is very close.

• You can send commands to the ArgonOne controller over I2C, see Argon-ONE-i2c-Codes.

Off works but it's a full shutdown so you need to press the button to turn it on after you use it. I need to figure out which mode it should be on for sleep mode.

I installed a new GeekPI fan and it was a bit of work, I had to solder on power leads and cut 4 screws because the fan is thinner than the OEM fan. It is WAY less annoying at full speed.

Edited 5 times, last by Skripo: Merged a post created by Skripo into this post. (February 20, 2021 at 12:20 AM).

• I had a look at the Argon ONE install script. The location of argononed.conf is wrong. Move it to /storage:

Code
    mv /storage/.config/argononed.conf /storage

It looks like they fixed the script because mine installed in the right place, in case anyone is wondering

I'm using the LE10 nightlies. Already tried editing the config based on this thread. But still not working. Changing it to always on also not working.

Config should be in /storage right?

Does using LE10 affect it?

Yes

Edited once, last by Skripo: Merged a post created by Skripo into this post. (February 19, 2021 at 11:28 PM).

• please help me.

hello, i still have very little linux script experience.

i have had the argon case since libreelec 9.0.2.

when i bought and installed it everything worked.

now i have reinstalled my pi with le 9.2.6, have installed the script from the argon server and the fan control does not work.

the fan can only be switched on / off again. I installed the 2 required addons.

how the hell do i have to rewrite?

sorry, google translated, iam de

i replaced the terror-fan!

in the link is the new one. it is much quieter and blows better.

Sunon MF30100V2-1000U-A99

I wrote to argon40 a year ago and asked to finally eliminate the error and finally adapt the available options to the Raspberry Pi OS!

as expected, no answer. The inexperienced customer is left out in the rain. i keep reading about grilled pi`s because the control doesn't work.

Edited 2 times, last by x2optimizer: doppelposts vermeiden (March 17, 2021 at 6:42 AM).