[Step by Step Tutorial] LibreElec on H96 Max+ *** Also IR Remote support ***

• Firstly I would like to thank all user who have made a contribution in support of RK3328 device, in particular:

@ balbes150 from FreakTab Forum, @ hexdump from Armbian Forum, easyb, @ amirul From Armbian Forum and LE community.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What you need:

1 USB stick: at least 1 gb

1 SD Card : strongly suggespted at least 4 gb

Balena Etcher: balenaEtcher - Home

LibreElec custom image for H96 Max+ : https://mega.nz/#!IxYXFIbb!DCiQiwYLK...-dyQ8IUDnDl2nA
    referred imaginatively by me as
    "Libre_Elec H96 Max+ _Crossover"

IR Remote fix: https://mega.nz/#!hpZlxAzb!FaqEvNF_T...iwQmbXdOF7As3U

Let's Start

Install and open Balena Etcher ----> click on "select image" and choose Libre_Elec_H96_Max+ _Crossover.img

Instert usb stick and SD card in your pc. -I suggespt to delete all partitions on these units, -make a backup before doing it-

Click on "Select Target" and choose: USB stick and SD card

Click on "Flash!"----> wait for FINISH.

Now insert USB stick and SD card in your H96 Max+, connect HDMI cable to TV, connect power supply cable.

After powering on, you can read: "PARTITION RESAZING IN PROGRESS" ,
    wait till the device is rebooted.

After the reboot you can see the home screen of KODI, complete first setup using a usb mouse.

Wait 5 minutes, then power off the device using the icon in KODI home screen.

Remove power supply cable, remove USB stick, keep SD card inserted in H96 Max+.

Power on the device, leave work the interafce till you see KODI HOME.

Now you have succesfully installed LibreElec on SD card

How to make IR Remote working:

Open IR_Remote_fix_by_easyb.zip archive,----> extract: [h96mp , rc_maps.cfg] in a free USB stick.

Open settings in KODI,----> click on File Manager ,----> click on Add source,----> set same as picture and click ok.

1.jpg

Insert your usb stick in H96 Max+

You have now a situation like a next picture, you can see 2 different columns. -my usb stick is named "USB_STICK"-

In left column open your USB stick clicking on her name, in right colum open .config folder clicking on it.

2.jpg

You must click one for one on two files : [h96mp , rc_maps.cfg] in left column, till their names become green,
    ----> right button of your mouse and click on copy,----> Confirm. Results in next picture

3.jpg

In the right column click and enter in rc_keymaps folder, reselect two files in left column, they become green,----> right button of your mouse, click on copy, Confirm. Results in next picture

4.jpg

Reboot device. You have now a working IR Remote

-------------------------------

HDMI AUDIO: works
    IR Remote: works
    Wifi usb dongle: works
    bluetooth usb dongle: works
    ON/OFF Led Indicator: works
    CEC: not tested

-------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final conclusions: what I've done, and why:

I have assembled the image, but the credits belongs to others.

I chose to use:

The super system: LE 9.80 kernel 4 by balbes150: that support usb wifi and bluetooth dongles.

The easyb dtb to be able to offer compatibility with HDMI AUDIO and have ON/OFF LED that works.

The u-boot component of LE 9.1 generic official image, beacuse the easyb dtb doesn't work with balbes150 u-boot.

i don't know why.

IR Remote Fix by easyb: to make IR Remote control works.

In the guide there could be inaccuracies regarding the terms used, forgive my lack of knowledge.
    There are LibreElec features that I haven't tested yet, any error report or correction report is welcome

Edited 3 times, last by Digit97 (November 23, 2019 at 3:10 PM).

• Tutorials are always welcome, but please mind the spelling of the name LibreELEC:

it is a single word with many upper and some lowercase letters, and it's not written as two separate parts.

• Thank you for tutorial.

I have successfully installed libreELEC 9.2.0 on SDcard and Kodi is running from it on H96 max+ (RK3328).

My problem is that Kodi on libreELEC is very slow and movie are lagging. On original android 9 is Kodi much faster.

Is there any reason?

• Hi, thanks for your instructions about putting libreelec on H96Max+.

I have landed here because I have an H96Max+ around that I am not using and I would like to reuse it as a little home server inspired by https://blog.nobugware.com/post/2019/h96-…a-linux-server/.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to have the H96Max+ boot by following the instructions there. Furthermore, the Libreelec forum seems to be the only place where getting HDMI output out of this device is working.

Thus I have a few questions:

- Is your method using a mainline kernel or some other kernel? It is my understanding that mainline does not do HDMI on RK3328, is this the case?

- Your instructions provide a Libreelec image. Do you think that a similar method could be used to get arch arm or armbian on the device? The armbian forum about 3328 is a bit messy and still have not understood whether someone succeeded on the H96Max+ or not. But it is my understanding that you got information from armbian developers too.

Thanks and best regards!

• You should be able to build Armbian with LE's kernel version and current patch-set. HDMI works although with random box devices there are more unknowns. There's no harm in trying.

• Are there any updates to this project? I recently acquired an H96Max+ and I'm trying the instructions. So far so good, but seems to have locked up setting up the Add Source. Will continue to try.