[How to] Fanshim

• For RPi 4

Fanshim is a temperature controlled fan available for the RPi4 at Pimoroni. Whilst the instructions work well for Raspbian, they do not work with LE.

There is a discussion about it - Here - where a user (@jane-t) developed an addon to control the fan.

1) Install the raspberry pi tools add-on. Install from repository --> LibreELEC add-ons --> Program add-ons --> Raspberry Pi tools.

2) Download the Fanshim addon. RPi-Fanshim

2a) Install from zip file. Select rpi-fanshim-master.zip (You may be warned about adding unknown sources)

3) Reboot

You are now up and running. Edit the settings of the add-on to fine tune to your liking.

To test: Install the LE system-tools add-ons and reboot.

Now from a SSH session.

stress-ng -c 4 -t 120

Where c = number of CPU's and t is time in seconds to run.

To display the temperature just run

cputemp or bcmstat.sh for much more information.

• Go to Best Answer
  • Thanks for the write up. If you disable and then enable the Add in the settings should be updated. When I have time I will change and retest the script, I will set it re-read the parameters each time it loops.

• I get an error when trying to install the fanshim.zip

2021-03-25 17:49:44.068 T:983 ERROR <general>: CAddonInstallJob[service.fanshim]: The dependency on xbmc.python version 2.19.0 could not be satisfied.

I'm assuming it's because of the same issue RPi4 users had (something about the new version of python??) with most of the add-ons not working??

• Yes it looks this add-on was written in python2 which is now a bit obsolete and LE10 is yet using python3, which is not backward compatible.