RPi4 Composite out not working

• Hi, I have installed LibreELEC (official): 9.1.501 (RPi4.arm) on Raspberry Pi 4. Everything seems to bee working on hdmi output. Then I want to connect my RPi4 to old CRT TV. There was no output at all. After reading documentation Video options in config.txt - Raspberry Pi Documentation i set this in config.txt

mount -o remount,rw /flash

nano /flash/config.txt

enable_tvout=1

sdtv_mode=2

mount -o remount,ro /flash

shutdown -r now

Now libreelec boots with rainbow boot screen on composite output and than black screen. But Libreelec boots. I can ssh to it.

So I do some research and find out that official raspian has similar issue and probably it was solved few days ago:

Pi 4 - Terrible performance with enable_tvout=1 · Issue #1223 · raspberrypi/firmware · GitHub

Lakka on RPi4 composite output bootloop · Issue #743 · libretro/Lakka-LibreELEC · GitHub

Anyone can help me resolve this issue in Libreelec?

Thank You.

• I'm having a similar issue with 9.1.501 in a RaspberryPi 3B. If I set sdtv_mode=2 on the config.txt I get the "LibreELEC" splash screen, but never see the Kodi splash screen or the UI. SSH is available and I can edit the config.txt.

If I set sdtv_mode=0 or comment out the sdtv_mode line, I see Kodi's splash screen and interface, but mode is set at 720x480@60Hz (thankfully this CRT is PAL, but multisystem on some inputs).

Going back to 9.0.2 runs into the bug where screen overscan compensation ("video calibration") is lost after reboot (that's why I was trying 9.1.501).

Going back to 8.2.5 leaves some addons not working.

I don't think it's a bootloop because I only see the LibreELEC splash screen once and the SSH connection doesn't drop. Sorry I can't provide a log right now; what information do you need and how do I get it?

• I'm having a similar issue with 9.1.501 in a RaspberryPi 3B. If I set sdtv_mode=2 on the config.txt I get the "LibreELEC" splash screen, but never see the Kodi splash screen or the UI. SSH is available and I can edit the config.txt.

If I set sdtv_mode=0 or comment out the sdtv_mode line, I see Kodi's splash screen and interface, but mode is set at 720x480@60Hz (thankfully this CRT is PAL, but multisystem on some inputs).

Going back to 9.0.2 runs into the bug where screen overscan compensation ("video calibration") is lost after reboot (that's why I was trying 9.1.501).

Going back to 8.2.5 leaves some addons not working.

I don't think it's a bootloop because I only see the LibreELEC myprepaidbalance splash screen once and the SSH connection doesn't drop. Sorry I can't provide a log right now; what information do you need and how do I get it?

Thank you for posting something like this

Edited once, last by Bethany2 (October 22, 2019 at 9:56 AM).

• A couple of weeks ago, I tried the latest nightly at that time and the problem continued.

With sdtv_mode=2 I get the new animated LibreElec splash screen, but as soon as Kodi loads, the screen goes blank (I never see the Kodi splash screen)

With sdtv_mode=0, everything loads, but I'm running NTSC on a PAL TV.

I'm attaching the debug logs:

log-2019-10-06-15.28.41_sdtvmode2.zip

log-2019-10-06-15.38.43_nosdtv.zip

edit: drat, only realized now that this a thread for the RPi4, I'm on the Rpi3. This could be unrelated. Should I open a new thread?

edit 2; I don't think I'm allowed to post many lines of logfiles, but after comparing both boot events, with sdtv_mode=2 the video mode is preceded by two DEBUG lines and later something doesn't initialize on the GPU - instead of loading resolution 16, a lot of DEBUG statements follow NOTICE: EGL_CLIENT_EXTENSIONS = NULL. With no sdtv_mode directive, after that notice follows NOTICE: Checking resolution 16 and the video system is initialized.

Edited once, last by TJSilva: Added Mark I eyeball comparison of both boot events. The most complete logfile (that has both boot events one after the other) is the nosdtv.zip (October 22, 2019 at 3:20 AM).