Migration from OpenELEC

• Hello Everyone,

I need some help.. I want to migrate from OpenELEC to LibreELEC. I have downloaded LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-7.0.2.tar From the Download page.. I Open up OpenELEC and put the tar file that I down loaded in the update file folder.. I reboot the machine and it see the New Kernel from the tar file and opens it up.. It unpacks everything. and does it checks that it passes.. Then continue to load everything.and re boots.. when it comes back on I get a Error message: Booting Kernel Failed: Invalid Argument So I put OpenELEC brand new nothing on kodi.. and tried it again.. The same thing happen again

Does anyone know what is going on?? Also is this the right file to use?? I have seen in the video that is is a different tar file than the download page has..

• It depends on your hardware. If you have a RPi2 or a RPi3 then the file is correct. If not, and that´s my guess what the message will tell you, then you downloaded the wrong file.

If the file you downloaded doesn´t work, I would guess you have a RPi1. Then you need this file:
    LibreELEC-RPi.arm-7.0.2.tar

If you have normal PC Hardware, then it´s this:
    LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.2.tar

Thank you!! I needed the normal pc hardware one. I could not find it anywhere on your website even downloads section. So let me get this straight Rpi2 is for the raspberry pi??

• Yepp, it´s for the Raspberry Pi.

If you are here: downloads – LibreELEC

There is some text that says: "... please select your hardware in the drop-list below: "

And under that there is a little box which per default lists "Rapsberry Pi v2 and Raspberry Pi v3"

If you click on that, you are able to select different builds matching to your hardware.

• Yepp, it´s for the Raspberry Pi.

If you are here: downloads – LibreELEC

There is some text that says: "... please select your hardware in the drop-list below: "

And under that there is a little box which per default lists "Rapsberry Pi v2 and Raspberry Pi v3"

If you click on that, you are able to select different builds matching to your hardware.

I see. I had the wrong file. Thank you for all your help. Can't wait to get home and get it working again

• I'm about to migrate from OpenELEC to LibreELEC...but I've got a couple of preliminary questions.

I am on an rPi...it's either a 2 or a 3 (probably a 3).

I do use a couple of AddOns...from earlier searches it seems that not all AddOns might migrate...is that still an issue? Is there a routine I can run to confirm whether I'll run into an issue?

I am making a backup of my settings etc. (through the standard OpenELEC AddOn), is there anything else I should do so that I can backout of the upgrade if I run into a problem or incompatibility?

Am I correct in assuming that the local user id (root) and password won't change as a part of this process?

Anything else I should do/check/ask before I take the leap?
    [hr]
    I took the leap, but have run into a few issues:

1) At startup the KODI (v16.1 - Jarvis) splash screen flashes on and off (to a blank screen) multiple times. The first time it did eventually get to the main screen but since a reboot, it seems stuck in this loop.

2) Even once I got to the main screen (on that first update), many of the labels were "blank/invisible". I use the Aeon Nox skin, but even changing to Confluence didn't seem to make a difference.

3) I can SSH into the device (I see that the root password did change, but it was easy enough to guess what the right one was).

How can I fix this issues?

Edited once, last by cmeans (October 29, 2016 at 4:11 PM).

• Hello Everyone,

I need some help.. I want to migrate from OpenELEC to LibreELEC. I have downloaded LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-7.0.2.tar From the Download page.. I Open up OpenELEC and put the tar file that I down loaded in the update file folder.. I reboot the machine and it see the New Kernel from the tar file and opens it up.. It unpacks everything. and does it checks that it passes.. Then continue to load everything.and re boots.. when it comes back on I get a Error message: Booting Kernel Failed: Invalid Argument So I put OpenELEC brand new nothing on kodi.. and tried it again.. The same thing happen again

Does anyone know what is going on?? Also is this the right file to use?? I have seen in the video that is is a different tar file than the download page has..

Tried to move from OpenELEC to LibreELEC. I've done exactly the same thing with the exact same error message and I have no idea how to fix it. All I get is a command prompt. How can I fix this please?

I sincerely hope i'm not going to lose everything in order to restore this :(
    [hr]
    Don't worry, I figured it out (had to create a USB installer and figure out how to get in to the bios). I'm relieved.

Edited once, last by frustrated_1 (November 26, 2016 at 2:51 PM).

• I did the same same thing. Ask for help and got it. On the website if you got to where you get the file from click on it before it downloads it will pull up a menu of what type of operating system you have. Download it. Do what you did before in the very beginning. Put it in the update file. And it will update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk