[7.0.3.3d] LibreELEC 7.0 for S805

• Poida This is superodd. Which builds do you use on these boards? Is it m201d for V3_1 and HD18Q for 2.0? If yes, can you temporarily flash 7.0.2.2 m201d to your 2.0 board and see if playback issues are gone? You can safely switch to HD18Q later to have 1GB RAM back. For upgrading/downgrading/device switch a simple tar update without data wipe is OK.

• Which builds do you use on these boards? Is it m201d for V3_1 and HD18Q for 2.0?

I use the MXQ builds for all of them

can you temporarily flash 7.0.2.2 m201d to your 2.0 board and see if playback issues are gone?

I'll give the other builds a try, but the MXQ build is the only build that controls the LED properly

EDIT: Same issue with m201d and HD18Q builds but I did just notice that the HD18Q build is incorrectly switching the video playback to 24Hz. I'll just see if thats happening with all of the builds

EDIT2: That's it! If I remove 24Hz from available refresh rates, playback is fine.

Edited once, last by Poida (July 10, 2016 at 1:56 PM).

• I'll give the other builds a try, but the MXQ build is the only build that controls the LED properly

EDIT: Same issue with m201d and HD18Q builds but I did just notice that the HD18Q build is incorrectly switching the video playback to 24Hz. I'll just see if thats happening with all of the builds

EDIT2: That's it! If I remove 24Hz from available refresh rates, playback is fine. :)

If 24Hz playback worked properly, so it should be now. Here's a next test build for you with jc-001-check-both-audio-and-video-buffer-levels.patch patch removed (the only one that could have affected playback between 7.0.1.4 and 7.0.2.1): 7.0.2.2-kodi-revert

• If 24Hz playback worked properly, so it should be now.

The same issue exists with the newest test builds.
    I think 24Hz refresh rate might be a problem for the TV that the v2.0 board is connected to.
    I have tried with the v2.0 connected to a different TV and, when it switches to 24Hz, that TV displays the video OK.

Builds 7.0.1.4 and below are not selecting 24Hz refresh rate for video playback and so the issue doesn't arise, regardless of which TV is connected

Edited once, last by Poida (July 11, 2016 at 5:31 AM).

• Congratulations to kszap and everyone who contributes to this developement. Just try the bluetooth audio and works perfectly. It is a feature that had long been waiting for.

• Can you please all try this test build for fixing playback issues Poida and njofr@ and for stability pesh: I can confirm that the board v2.0 have problems with glitchy playback, but only in 1080 videos, video playback starts ok, and after few minutes become very glitchy...when restarts playback it again starts just fine, but only for u few minutes. Videos 720 and under are always ok.
    I tried all 4 nand versions and same problem.

kszaq HD18Q updated from 7.0.1.4. Kodi is stable now. I can't check video playback. For some reason both kodi and LE repos don't work to download PVR client

Edit: playback is fine

Edited once, last by pesh (July 12, 2016 at 9:04 AM).

• Hi!

I have a black MXQ box with an s805 rev2.0 (20150806) board. I'm currently on version 7.0.2.3.
    I'd like to watch live TV (with HTS tvheadend PVR addon installed from the libreelec repository) on it, but if i enable hardware accelerated video decoding the picture is displayed with wrong aspect ratio. This happens because the video resolution is 1440*1080 pixels but it should be displayed as 16:9.
    With hardware decoding disabled the picture is displayed with the correct ratio. It also works fine when i record the TV program first and play it back from a network share.

Here is what is written in the debug log when i'm starting playback:
    Live TV: 21:09:01 T:2582074272 DEBUG: CAMLCodec::OpenDecoder hints.aspect(0.000000), video_ratio.num(1), video_ratio.den(1)
    Recording: 21:08:49 T:2841670560 DEBUG: CAMLCodec::OpenDecoder hints.aspect(1.818182), video_ratio.num(1), video_ratio.den(1)

It looks like that the aspect ratio information is not passed between the HTS PVR client and the hardware codec.

The full debug log is available here:
    MXQ Libreelec Kodi PVR debug log - Pastebin.com

Otherwise this build works really well! Thanks for the great work!

• kszaq

Just wondering if the is a way to suspend all other cpu activities when video playback is happening? I still get the odd glitch and frame drop which is more noticeably on my LCD than my Plasma but I can even see it on my Plasma! I'm not looking for the glitches/frame-drops as they are pretty bad and anybody would notice them.

I wonder if all the memory being flushed after playback would help. I know video cache and buffering is supposed to be flushed when playback stops but when the box is first turned on, clean boot, memory used is 15% but soon fills up to 22% and stays there! I doubt this is causing the glitches but I'm looking for perfection! I might have to buy an S905 otherwise!!

Hey don;t get me wrong, since we've moved to LE the S805 builds have been excellent and perhaps they can't get any better. So I'm just asking and hoping as I can't afford to go S905 at the mo and it's a 'work in progress' anyway.

• PatrickJB In LE the whole system is dedicated for Kodi and unless you have a downloader service or DVB backend running in the background there's not much that can be suspended during playback.

I suppose that the glitch you may be seeing is framerate not switching to 23.976fps from 24fps - in that case there will be a small frame jump every 42 seconds or so. Do you have automatic framerate turned on and "sync playback to display" turned off? It may also be that your displays don't support 23.976fps but I doubt it.

Actually I have not seen frame jumps since framerate automation was patched many versions ago.

• PatrickJB In LE the whole system is dedicated for Kodi and unless you have a downloader service or DVB backend running in the background there's not much that can be suspended during playback.

I suppose that the glitch you may be seeing is framerate not switching to 23.976fps from 24fps - in that case there will be a small frame jump every 42 seconds or so. Do you have automatic framerate turned on and "sync playback to display" turned off? It may also be that your displays don't support 23.976fps but I doubt it.

Actually I have not seen frame jumps since framerate automation was patched many versions ago.

It's all set up correctly so it must just be me being over sensative! But I might put that info display thingy on, can't remeber which key it is something like X or S, and see if it is dropping frames and then take a pic and post it. Which key is it again to display video info and frames etc?

Busy at the mo so might take a while to get back to you on this. Perhaps my box is crap but a few others have the same box without problems!

• Patrick,

The key you're looking for is O.

Off topic, I've been following the stuff on the S905 thread and the memory management issue in particular. What surprises me is that if it takes a couple of days for amlogic to devour all the available memory on S905, why can't people just reboot once a day? - LE boots fast. I'd be patient enough to wait and that's saying something! So what if it makes the boxes not for novices.

• Hi k.

I'm looking at a solution to running spotify off my android device but with the ability to listen to it on my stereo via le. Is it possible to cast audio to le?

EDIT : Sorry about original post mate. I just suddenly realised I had done exactly what you'd ask us not to. Sorry mate. My bad
    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited once, last by Kiwi_man82 (July 15, 2016 at 9:49 AM).

• You can try Spotify Addon for Kodi: Spotify for Kodi (read about workaround for RPi, this should also work here) or maybe try to stream audio via AirPlay. I'm not sure if the latter is possible, haven't tried that. There is no way to stream audio from phone to LE over BT.

EDIT : Sorry about original post mate. I just suddenly realised I had done exactly what you'd ask us not to. Sorry mate. My bad

That's OK, moderation is fast. As long as the sellers don't bundle piracy addons they are allowed to install LE, it's free software.

• Hello,

Just for information I upgraded my MXQ OTT HD18Q to 7.0.2.3 (from 7.0.2.2) and my DVB usb card is not recognized anymore (no device displayed in X.X.X:9981 tvheadend web server)
    I was obliged to downgrade to 7.0.2.2.
    My DVB USB card is a RTL2832U + R820T Tuner.
    I use it to watch TV since Openelec firmware version 6.0.0.2 and I've upgraded firmware many times before with no issue.

BTW thanks a lot kszaq for your hard work on this firmware.
    MXQ devices are very good media centers because of you.

I've not open my box to know its Mobo Id.
    I'll do it if neccessary but its current location makes it a bit difficult to do that.

Thanks et regards,
    Samygar

• Patrick,

The key you're looking for is O.

Off topic, I've been following the stuff on the S905 thread and the memory management issue in particular. What surprises me is that if it takes a couple of days for amlogic to devour all the available memory on S905, why can't people just reboot once a day? - LE boots fast. I'd be patient enough to wait and that's saying something! So what if it makes the boxes not for novices.

I'll take a look when I get the time, watch something for half an hour and see if any frame drops are reported.

I'm pretty sure rebooting the S805 boxes seems to help reduce frame drops and micro judder. As I've said many times I do accept that sometimes frame drops, and more so micro judder, is due to crappy encoding (over compressed) but often I skip the video back and it plays OK the second time suggesting it's not crappy encoding! But I'll say it again, rebooting does seem to help cure this at least for a while. Well encoded H265 is amazing as you can get a 720p 45min file under 200mb and it's perfect!

Also K's letest builds for the S805 are the best so far except for the first 10secs or so of some files skipping which I had never experienced before, apparently no one else suffers from this even people with the same board. And for the record sometimes I can't even get the skip function to play the first 10secs! Just annoying but I can live with it. May try a clean install and try it without installing my backup i.e No addons. Tried this before in the past but it didn't make any difference.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Wetek Hub when I upgrade in the future as this is reported to play vid files perfect even in Andoid, apparently. It's more expensive but may save some stress.