Posts by gergov

I gave it another go on Libreelec 10.0.3. The card still does not work in 6 channel mode with the PCIe USB controller but supplying the board through the GPIO, setting the USB-C port into host mode and using a USB-C -> USB-A adapter did the trick (the type you can plug stuff into your mobile phone with, but i can not write the proper term because this forum automatically censors the word f*m*le for some stupid reason).

For this to work i needed to put otg_mode=1 in /flash/config.txt (this wasn't supported by LE9).

I also had to create a custom alsa channel mapping in the /storage/.config/asound.conf file:

pcm.myoutput {

type hw

card "Pro"

chmap [ "FL,FR,FC,LFE,SL,SR" ]

channels 6

hint.description "my output with fixed chmap"

}

Then after selecting the output inside Kodi it seems to work. Finally.

Hi!

If anyone is still looking for a solution in 2023, I have the same USB sound card and i had a similar issue on Libreelec 10.0.3 on a Raspberry Pi 4. I traced it back to the erroneous detection of the sound card channels and i was able to fix it by creating a custom channel mapping.

Just create a file named asound.conf in /storage/.config/ with the following content:

pcm.myoutput {

type hw

card "Pro"

chmap [ "FL,FR,FC,LFE,SL,SR" ]

channels 6

hint.description "my output with fixed chmap"

}

Then select the output in Kodi in Settings -> System -> Audio. It will be the one with the strange incomplete name.

I haven't tested it too much but it seems to work.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I upgraded everything, even tried the beta usb firmware, but the "Not enough bandwidth for new device state." message remains and there's still no 5.1 audio output.

Reading the information on your links makes me think this is a general USB related issue with the Rpi4, not a LibreELEC bug, so I guess i'll just stick with my old Raspberry Pi 3 for now.

I'm sorry i didn't answer earlier but i gave the board back to it's owner and i kinda forgot about it. Now i bought my own and i can confirm that this issue still exists in LibreELEC 9.2.3. Since the fix for the issue you linked from github is in the newer kernel versions i don't think that's the problem.

Anyways, here is a debug log from kodi with the audio component logging enabled. I deleted the parts that were about extracting thumbnails from my media collection because they made the logfile huge. Didn't touch anything else.

I also attached the output of the dmesg (the contents of that are a little bit suspicious to me but i don't know how to debug this) and the lsusb commands if that helps. logs.zip

Hi!

I borrowed a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB model from a friend, loaded the LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.1.001.img.gz image on it, connected my Creative SB X-Fi (USB id 041e:30df) to it and booted it up. The USB DAC works fine as long as i only want it to output 2 channel audio but as soon as i switch to 5.1 the systems goes quiet, no GUI or movie sounds on any of the channels.

The same DAC works fine on x86 with LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0.2.

I attached the kodi.log.zip i fetched from the Pi4.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will record some samples of the issue and then i will report it there too.

In the meantime i wanted to implement a quick fix. I really like Kodi 17 and the "new" Estuary skin so i tested some early 7.9* alpha builds in the hopes that maybe one of them will turn out to be working fine. I went all the way back to 7.9.001. Unfortunately the crackling is present in all of the tested versions too.

Then i did something sick. I unpacked the SYSTEM file from both 8.2.2 and 7.0.3, copied the kernel modules from the 7.0.3 /lib/modules folder into the unpacked 8.2.2 folder and repacked it. Then i replaced the SYSTEM file with this new squashfs in the 7.0.3 image.

The resulting system complains about the modification of the cmdline.txt file but after a 60 second delay it boots up and works perfectly without significant audio issues.

When there is absolute silence during playback there is still some background noise. It has the same "pattern" as on the newer versions but it is so quiet that i have to stand directly in front of the speakers to hear it. It may have been there in the "pure" 7.0.3 version of LibreELEC, maybe i just never noticed it.

Because of my findings i assume something went really bad between the 4.4.3 kernel and the one 7.9.001 uses (i can't remember which one it was exactly).

I installed raspbian stretch 2017-11-29 (kernel version: 4.9.59-v7). For some reason aplay did not like my test files so i installed VLC. It works perfectly, no noise there.

I also tried to install Kodi (17.5 Git: 20171024-42caaae) on top of raspbian. Using the same audio settings as in LibreELEC i still can hear a pop from time to time but only when there is absolute silence in the audio track played. Overall it behaves much better than when it is running on LE.

Is there something else i should try?

Hi!

I have a RPi3 + 5.1 USB DAC setup in my living room wich i recently updated from OpenElec 7.x to LibreElec 8.2.2. Since the update the DAC started to make strange crackling noises.

The pops seem to happen mostly when there is silence in the video i'm watching / music i'm playing.

I have tried everything that came to my mind to fix it but nothing helped. I have tested the setup with multiple different power supplies, another RPi3 board, an RPi2 model B and another SD card. I even tried connecting the DAC through a USB HUB.

I tried to load the snd_usb_audio kernel module with the parameter nrpacks=1.

I played with various USB kernel command line parameters that have been known to fix sound card issues in the past. Eg:

dwc_otg.fiq_enable = 0, dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable = 0 and dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask with all the possible combinations made the situation worse. Changing the dwc_otg.nak_holdoff value did not have an effect.

dwc_otg.speed = 1 seems to remedy the problem but makes the ethernet connection run unacceptably slow.

I also tried to change the CPU governor to "performance".

If i change the channel config in kodi to 4.0 the crackling stops but then i have no center/sub channel.

Setting anything else (fixed sample rate, keeping the audio device on, etc...) in the audio menu did not have an effect.

The audio codec and media source does not matter, it happens with flac, aac, and ac3, with local files and pvr.

The strangest thing is that sometimes the system just changes it's mind and theres no noise for 10-20 minutes then it starts again.

So far the only way i could stop the crackling without undesirable side effects was to downgrade to OE 7.0.1. That version works perfectly on the same hardware.

Details about my setup:

Sound card: Creative SB X-Fi 041e:30df Creative Technology, Ltd

lsusb -v pastebin: y3b1Ls8y

I run the RPi3 with stock settings, no overclocking. I use a clean LE install with "factory default" settings.

I found nothing in dmesg or kodi debug log related to the issue.

Any suggestions?

Hi!

I have a black MXQ box with an s805 rev2.0 (20150806) board. I'm currently on version 7.0.2.3.
    I'd like to watch live TV (with HTS tvheadend PVR addon installed from the libreelec repository) on it, but if i enable hardware accelerated video decoding the picture is displayed with wrong aspect ratio. This happens because the video resolution is 1440*1080 pixels but it should be displayed as 16:9.
    With hardware decoding disabled the picture is displayed with the correct ratio. It also works fine when i record the TV program first and play it back from a network share.

Here is what is written in the debug log when i'm starting playback:
    Live TV: 21:09:01 T:2582074272 DEBUG: CAMLCodec::OpenDecoder hints.aspect(0.000000), video_ratio.num(1), video_ratio.den(1)
    Recording: 21:08:49 T:2841670560 DEBUG: CAMLCodec::OpenDecoder hints.aspect(1.818182), video_ratio.num(1), video_ratio.den(1)

It looks like that the aspect ratio information is not passed between the HTS PVR client and the hardware codec.

The full debug log is available here:
    MXQ Libreelec Kodi PVR debug log - Pastebin.com

Otherwise this build works really well! Thanks for the great work!