Can I create a backup in OpenElec and then restore it in LibreElec?

• Hi,

I am using latest OpenElec on RP2. Can I create a backup on it, copy it externally and then on a new LibreElec install restore the backup to have my addons and video library?

Thanks!

• Yes, however... It also backups/restores the guisettings.xml file, which can be different from one Kodi client to the other in case of different hardware. Copying from one RPi2 to another should present no issues.

• Yes, however... It also backups/restores the guisettings.xml file, which can be different from one Kodi client to the other in case of different hardware. Copying from one RPi2 to another should present no issues.

Thanks!
    Can I manually remove this file before restore? Or from the backup?

• The default location is /storage/.backup, but there is now a user selection for the backup location. Whatever you do with the backup file is of course up to you.

I went from Openelec to LibreELEC on my NUC, by putting the tar file in my update folder, then rebooting.All the settings were the same.

If you want a fresh install then I suppose you need to do a backup & restore

Edited once, last by bubblegum57 (April 27, 2016 at 4:34 PM).

• Hi!

I want to do more or less the same. I have a libreelec backup. Can I copy it to an Openelec backup folder so it will upgrade to libreelec and apply all the changes?

Thanks!

• Hello!

If I remember the Version Well it was LE7 the First LE release after the OE. I Did that but some Things did not Work Out so Well.

Better to make a Cut and start with a Clean Install.

Or Take an equal Version and give it a try.

Regards

Nicolas

• from which version of LE do you have an backup ?

Better clean install that LE Version and restore the the backup, then update to whatever you like

Did that but now it says that there is not enought space to continue. So how am I suppose to restore? Do I need to restore to defaults and then restore?

• Official Post

Restore needs approx 2.5x the size of the backup free on /storage for the restore to work. If I were you I would start with a clean install, then restore the older sources.xml and DB files (deleting the current/new ones). All the skins/add-ons and such from an LE7 install will need to be upgraded to work on LE9.2 anyway so it will be easier and faster to start over with a clean system.