FiveNinjas Slice LibreELEC preview build

• If you follow instructions on the Raspberry Pi Foundation website to mount the CM3's eMMC device to Windows our USB-SD creator app can be used to write the "Slice (CM3)" image directly to the eMMC volume. I've no idea how eMMC mounting is done via Mac or Linux, but assuming there is a process the native USB-SD creator apps for Mac/Linux should work fine too. Then just boot the Slice and it will format/prep things as required - it's exactly the same installer routine as an RPi3 for those that have done it. From chat with Gordon some other funky things like booting Slice (CM3) directly from the internal HDD should be possible, as it's connected via USB so Slice (CM3) has the same "can boot from USB" capabilities as RPi3, but until I have some time to fiddle around and experiment there are no written instructions with pretty screenshots.

• If you follow instructions on the Raspberry Pi Foundation website to mount the CM3's eMMC device to Windows our USB-SD creator app can be used to write the "Slice (CM3)" image directly to the eMMC volume. I've no idea how eMMC mounting is done via Mac or Linux, but assuming there is a process the native USB-SD creator apps for Mac/Linux should work fine too. Then just boot the Slice and it will format/prep things as required - it's exactly the same installer routine as an RPi3 for those that have done it. From chat with Gordon some other funky things like booting Slice (CM3) directly from the internal HDD should be possible, as it's connected via USB so Slice (CM3) has the same "can boot from USB" capabilities as RPi3, but until I have some time to fiddle around and experiment there are no written instructions with pretty screenshots.

ah, that clears things up. thanks

• chewitt
    in the latest build for CM3 posted here 7-95-1 Slice analog audio is not supported. There is no
    ALSA: Default (snd_slice Analog) option shown in Settings/System/Audio

Are you planning to update the Index of /slice/ again or is the link above the correct one to use?

Where will I find a fix to test?

Thanks
    Roger

Roger, what the file you have downloaded? is it the RPi2 version as i see no mention of Slice on that page

you can get the Slice3 build here

LibreELEC-Slice3.arm-7.95.1.tar

• MikeBuzz, how?

Well i have no idea. i accidentally copied over the Slice instead of the Slice3 file over to the update folder, on the 1st reboot it extracted the files no problem on the reboot after the update i just got the normal rainbow splash which is kinda of expected as could not load the kernel.img, so i powered off and connected the usb mini to the pc, it detected the internal HDD no problems, then i connected the power and loaded up rpiboot, all i get is "Waiting for BCM283x" i can see no way past this and have no idea why it would of happened

Edited once, last by MikeBuzz (January 19, 2017 at 3:28 PM).

• Finally got my CM3 working today. Didn't work with my own 2-in-1 hybrid Windows machine but my with my work laptop i was finally able to get rpiboot to flash the emmc and showup in Windows.

Now running LibreElec 7.95.1 beta :)

Will see if I have problems with the heat as I don't have any kind of heatsink there right now.

• Will see if I have problems with the heat as I don't have any kind of heatsink there right now.

can you monitor the CPU temp and the HDD temp as well. It will give an indication as to how hot the other side of the main PCB is getting as well as the HDD

Roger

• can you monitor the CPU temp and the HDD temp as well. It will give an indication as to how hot the other side of the main PCB is getting as well as the HDD

Roger

Does LibreElec have a way to do this easily? I could try to watch some tv shows / movies and check the temps afterwards but not sure how feasible it would be

• Does LibreElec have a way to do this easily? I could try to watch some tv shows / movies and check the temps afterwards but not sure how feasible it would be

Yes for the CPU temperature - leave the movie playing in the background and go into Settings - System Information - Hardware.