Posts by g7ruh

If this https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/raspbe…ously-announced is correct - there is likely to be a CM4S module in the Slice-compatible CM1-3 form factor, but with the SoC from the CM4 on it...

If this becomes a product available to end users - will anyone try it in a Slice?

Yes I am happy to try it.

I have two, one in the case and one 'barebones'. I modified the case with a heatsink for CM3 to connect CPU to case via some copper when I upgraded.

Pictures here:CM3 heatsink

It runs quite warm especially with video, so a CM4 may well be more of a heat problem, apart from if it will work with Libreelec / Kodi.

Mine are used nearly every day for music streaming or for playing my FLAC based music collection. Occasional use for video.

Roger

for a few weeks now i seem to be getting an occasional black screen after booting my Slice3. It started after 9.2.3 and still seems to be happening on 9.2.4.

F1Fanb0y

Hi, if the stock clock does not fix it, you could try reseating the compute module (remove it and reseat it) just in case it is a bad / oxidised connection. I have had issues many times with PCs hanging up and it turned out to be the graphics card needing reseating.

Sorry if you have already tried that :)

Roger

If you installed the 9.2.0 test build linked above please do a manual upgrade to the now released official 9.2.0 version (from the download page).

HiassofT  CvH Thanks for the update to the update, installed and working on both my CM3s

Further to my post above (Saturday 0952), I disconnected the ethernet adapter (no wifi) and checked the RTC on switch on at 17:52 today (Wednesday) and the RTC was correct. So I can confirm the changes made 'blind' by HiassofT works fine :)

Thanks for your help in maintaining an up to date image for the Slice CM 1 and CM3 boxes. It is appreciated!!

regards

Roger

Could you pls test if the 9.1.002 images work well ? Tx !

CvH

tested as requested. 9.1.002 installs and loads OK. Plays music fine, no video to test on this particular Slice. LEDs function correctly in a short test.

If you think it is stable enough to give a longer test, please ask and I will install on my other slice which has screen and kbd attached. I used an HDMI cable and a kbd / mouse. (normally running headless using VNC) for this test.

Have reverted to release version.

Roger

Otherwise we can't move forward for the slice

Hi CvH and HiassofT

Tested on my CM3 Slice.

LEDs seem to work OK

RTC works too. Removed power and internet and it reboots with correct time having been off for a few minutes.

Plays music and video OK too on a very short test.

I will revert to standard build. Ask if you want anything else tested.

Roger

Thanks g7ruh I haven't seen it myself for a couple of months, out of interest is your sound via the optical/analog or HDMI? do you use the wifi dongle or ethernet? Do you use the IR to control it with a remote? These are some of the things I've changed around recently.

F1Fanb0y

Sound out via optical. I have seen the Green LED problem using optical and analog. Swapped to optical when I upgraded the amp which has a good DAC.

Ethernet used

No IR used. Just use VNC to select media and use a separate amp to play music so volume controlled via the amplifier remote.

If I need remote control while computer is off (no VNC immediatley available) I use Kore on my Android phone.

This setup has been in place for a year or so, so no recent changes.

I have another one which uses the supplied remote, also ethernet connected. I use that for music and some video. That device also acts as a wifi hotspot via a dongle.

Frequency of "Green LED Syndrome" is about the same on both units. Quite infrequent but not as rare as rocking horse manure!

Roger

Tried a test.

Slice CM3 headless with hard drive, controlled by VNC. Reboot via GUI not ssh.

1) Reboot while music (flac) playing (power plug NOT removed)

2) after reboot green LED on

leave overnight (just because it was bed time)

.... later, the following morning...

3) Green LED still on

4) reboot (power plug NOT removed)

5) Green LED is off

6) play music as 1) and reboot

7) Green LED is off after reboot

8) play music as 1) and reboot

9) Green LED off after reboot

So that blows my idea about needing to remove the power plug every time. Maybe it was just luck that the Green LED came on the first time.

I will leave it a few days and repeat to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: a "8)" changes to a 8) when posted, so read 8 ) for a 8) :):)

Roger

From my experience it can be weeks or months from seeing it and then it can happen every single day

F1Fanb0y

I have seen it, but not often. Both my Slices are usually powered up and only tend to get rebooted (other than main electric supply failure) when there is a software update or the hard drive hangs up. It only seems to happen after a reboot, and I think (not proven) only after a non-update reboot. Sometimes the Slice hangs and needs a power off reset (no gui / keybaord responds). It is after an unscheduled event when I have noticed the green LED issue. Several power off reboots (I.E. removing the power supply plug) seems to correct the condition. Does not always fix it at the first power off reset. A reboot without removing the power plug does not seem to fix the condition.

As you mention, it does not seem to happen often enough to be able to trace the events leading up to it. However I will take note next time it happens.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Roger