Tanix TX6

• Tried the last image on TX6. Described problems with video not found. I have no problem working video and sound at 1080p. I tried to switch the resolution to 720p, everything switched and works without problems.

jernej Excellent work.

Now there is not enough only wired network for normal use of TX6. :)

PS Write if you need to perform any more checks.

• Tried the new image. Audio is working. However, cannot play any video and cannot change resolution. The list of available resolutions now includes up to 4k, but if I try to select 1920x1080p for example, the screen blacks out for some seconds, then comes back at the old resolution (which is now defaulting to 720x480p @60hz). Also when playing a video, the same happens, screen blacks out for a long time and have to press remote buttons to get the screen back.

Also, notice crackling coming from TV during boot and 4k resolutions above 30hz are not available.

I may be wrong, but it looks like you have a problem with your TV or HDMI cable. I checked the latest image, video and sound work without problems. The resolution changes as needed. Maybe your TV is not giving EDID data correctly. I'm Additionally tested the TV to 4K. Not once turned to start the system. At the first start, the TV did not detect the signal (perhaps when using the SD card after the first start on the TV with 1080p on the SD card, the parameters of the detected TV are recorded). I completely turned off the TV and TX6 and turned it on again. LE started and correctly detected the maximum resolution of 4096x2160 supported TV. The interface itself switched to 4K. Test video with different resolutions 480 720 1080 works without problems with HW. Sound works without interference on 4K TV. :)

4K video itself has distortion (the picture is scattered on a set of green squares), the sound works.

• balbes150 ethernet should be easy to fix once I get my box.

BTW, this and other H6 STBs seem to be made as cheap as possible. They lack some of features present on H6 SBCs, like proper power management, gigabit ethernet and better RAM (I think DDR3 is the cheapest supported RAM type). However, you get enclosure, remote and AC adapter.

SBCs also usually use WiFi modules which are better supported in Linux.

• Official Post

ethernet should be easy to fix once I get my box.

BTW, this and other H6 STBs seem to be made as cheap as possible. They lack some of features present on H6 SBCs, like proper power management, gigabit ethernet and better RAM (I think DDR3 is the cheapest supported RAM type). However, you get enclosure, remote and AC adapter.

SBCs also usually use WiFi modules which are better supported in Linux.

For a wired network need fixes in DTS or even in the kernel ?

Thanks to you, I have the opportunity to add a version of Armbian for TV boxes based on H6. :)

• Official Post

By the way, I opened the TX6 case and found that there was a stupidity with the orientation of the radiator and the main Board, they stand upside down from the correct position. Unfortunately this has become a trend for many TV boxes, the idiotic arrangement of the component upside down (radiator down). Apparently engineers in China do not know the laws of physics. I threw out the bottom cover of the case and turned the rest of the case up with the radiator. Now, when working TX6 heats up significantly less. :)

• Official Post

If it is really gigabit ethernet, can you find ethernet phy chip? Usually it's realtek one. DT, which I extracted from Android image, says TX6 has RMII interface which would suggest 100 Mbit ethernet.

It was sent to me as Gigabit, but now I carefully examined it , there 100Mbit. :(

By the way, you saved my TX6 from the trash where I wanted to send it (I only need Linux-enabled devices). :)

• It was sent to me as Gigabit, but now I carefully examined it , there 100Mbit. :(

By the way, you saved my TX6 from the trash where I wanted to send it (I only need Linux-enabled devices). :)

pp_009149785586.html?wid=1433363

This is the one I bought (it does state 100M ethernet)

I'll try the image again, but the same HDMI cable and TV work perfectly with Amlogic S905, S905x and Rockchip RK3328 devices. I can change resolution/refresh rates and playback 4k without any faults.

On board wifi (in Android) is very fast.

• pp_009149785586.html?wid=1433363

This is the one I bought (it does state 100M ethernet)

I'll try the image again, but the same HDMI cable and TV work perfectly with Amlogic S905, S905x and Rockchip RK3328 devices. I can change resolution/refresh rates and playback 4k without any faults.

On board wifi (in Android) is very fast.

Well - blow me down with a feather!

Changing HDMI cable did the trick. Does anyone know why the other HDMI cable works with Amlogic and Rockchip boxes but not with Allwinner?

• Well - blow me down with a feather!

Changing HDMI cable did the trick. Does anyone know why the other HDMI cable works with Amlogic and Rockchip boxes but not with Allwinner?

I'm having about 4, 5 HDMI cables from various sources. Some work with pi others with s912 even others with h3 but not a single one works with all of them including CEC. But I have to admit that Samsung TV and br-player are less critical on the cables than Chinese tv boxes and (UK) SBCs...

• It probably has to do something with HDMI PHY settings or electrical properties. Does it work with Android? How long is your non-working HDMI cable? Sometimes longer cables (for example, 5m) can be problematic since they need to be driven with higher power.

It's 1 to 1.5 metres long. I always thought HDMI cables worked 100% or didn't work at all (i.e no picture whatsoever). I didn't realise there were varying degrees of working or not working. Once you got a picture, then everything should work 100% - that's what I used to think - but now.........

• jernej

balbes150

Done some more testing on HDMI cables etc.

I have 3 different HDMI cables attached to my 4k TV (New model 2018) in three different HDMI ports on the TV. As I said previously, all 3 cables work properly with Amlogic and Rockchip boxes I have, and a Humax box and Blu Ray player I also have attached. These 3 cables can all be swapped to the different devices and all work.

Only 1 cable works with Tanix TX6 running LibreELEC - the other 2 cables give no picture. However, all 3 same cables work with Tanix TX6 running Android. That suggests to myself it is an issue with LibreELEC and/or Kodi. Doesn't appear to be the TX6 box itself (as all 3 cables/ports work under Android?!). Is that how you guys see it?

I've never experienced this before - as I said previously, it's usually that the cable works or it doesn't work - now it seems that we have a mixture of circumstances but only with TX6 running LibreELEC.

Bit of a head scratcher.