Nightly images for A64, H3, H5, H6 and R40 boards

• hi jernej

Quick question for you, each morning my Pine H64 is frozen and I have to reboot it to be able to use it again (even via ssh it's frozen). So, I am able to use it all day long but after a long period without using it, it frreeze.

I see an image on my tv but nothing else. Do you have an Idea why this append ? There is a log that I can provide you ? I don't know if log is always available after a reboot...

I run the last nightlies image, the only modifications I did is changing the interface for Confluence and adding add-on EmbyCon.

Thank you !

• AZukr How much memory your OPi3 has? 1 GiB?

It seems that H6 must have at least 2 GiB to work properly. I have 2 H6 boards with 3 GiB and I didn't observe any crashes. I got report that OPi3 with 2 GiB of RAM works ok too, but my OPi3 with 1 GiB of RAM occasionally crashes too. However, I can't make it crash reliably. it's always different combination of videos. Anyway, this is not Kodi issue but something either in driver, ffmpeg or both. I'll take a look into that.

mike2002 No idea. What is frozen exactly? Only Kodi? Is it possible to connect to ssh? If so, try to restart Kodi with systemctl restart kodi and see if that helps.

• jernej

Unable to connect via SSH and the UI appear on my tv but I am unable to navigate in the UI... It's what I mean by frozen. To correct the situation I disconnect and reconnect my Pine H64.

Once I reconnect my H64, I see the Libreelec splash screen and after that I have a black screen. I "power off and power On" my AVR and tadam the kodi UI appear.

Just in case that you can see something, there is my log :

http://ix.io/2PZ5

Edited once, last by mike2002: Merged a post created by mike2002 into this post. (February 19, 2021 at 5:49 PM).

• AZukr How much memory your OPi3 has? 1 GiB?

It seems that H6 must have at least 2 GiB to work properly. I have 2 H6 boards with 3 GiB and I didn't observe any crashes. I got report that OPi3 with 2 GiB of RAM works ok too, but my OPi3 with 1 GiB of RAM occasionally crashes too. However, I can't make it crash reliably. it's always different combination of videos. Anyway, this is not Kodi issue but something either in driver, ffmpeg or both. I'll take a look into that.

mike2002 No idea. What is frozen exactly? Only Kodi? Is it possible to connect to ssh? If so, try to restart Kodi with systemctl restart kodi and see if that helps.

Looks like 2 Gb RAM

egrep 'MemTotal|MemFree|MemAvailable' /proc/meminfo

MemTotal: 1971492 kB

MemFree: 1691120 kB

MemAvailable: 1718688 kB

Interestingly, that Youtube works fine, no freezes, no reboot, while playing local files leads to kodi restarts

• Kodi restarts very occasionally for me with local files and it happens only when video is stopped. How often does it happen to you? Only at video stop? Do you get similar lines in crash log?

Code
    Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    #0 0x0045deb0 in CDVDTeletextData::ResetTeletextCache() ()

Can you find any patterns when it happens? like when playing specific files?

I hope we have same issue. If not, I can't do anything about it because fixing something you occasionally see but not me is practically impossible.

• May it be issues with wifi? Today I have burned latest version but connect opi3 over ethernet cable. No reboot (at least, right now)

btw, what is the best way to update LE on opi3?

• Kodi 19 released.

From release notes,

move to a single Linux binary for multiple windowing systems (X11, Wayland, and GBM) versus the previous three

So, it is possible to run Kodi over Armbian without X11? What is the difference with LE?

• Hi there! Is it possible to use this images with another tv-boxes with allwinner H3 or H5, if they are not in the list of supported models ?

I'd like to buy one of them in local market, but I'm not sure if it works

Edited once, last by winhex (February 27, 2021 at 7:21 PM).

• gabe TV out is now supported in nightly images on H3 and H5. You have to add FDTOVERLAYS /overlays/sun8i-h3-tve.dtbo for H3 or FDTOVERLAYS /overlays/sun50i-h5-tve.dtbo for H5 in extlinux/extlinux.conf file, right before APPEND line.

the file is read-only. how do i edit? Tried via SSH

• Hi there! Is it possible to use this images with another tv-boxes with allwinner H3 or H5, if they are not in the list of supported models ?

I'd like to buy one of them in local market, but I'm not sure if it works

You will need to have a matching DTB. But often those tv boxes are all based on reference designs by i.e. allwinner.

So often an image for one works also for others.

Maybe you have no ethernet or no this or no that.

So you can try it, but noone will give any guarantees, and as tv boxes usually come without schematics or other documents they are usually not the preferred targets for most devs.

• Hello jernej

I installed this image "LibreELEC-H3.arm-10.0-nightly-20210301-73c0ce6-orangepi-pc-plus.img" on my Orange pi PC plus, installation work well but when I try to put image on emmc with the script install2emmc I have this erreor :

h3p:~ # install2emmc

U-Boot not found. Please update current installation with board specific update or image first.

It's a fresh install. Is it normal ? Do I need to install image on EMMC via OTG port ?

jernej Another subject, my Pine H64 continue to freeze on a regular basis. As soon as it is idle for some hours, it freeze. No message in log, that's weird. I installed armbian on it and I ran a lot of stress test witout issue so it's not an hardware issue. I don't know what's the problem...

Freeze = "Gui appear on tv screen but unable to interract with it and I'm unable to connect via SSH"

Edited once, last by mike2002: Merged a post created by mike2002 into this post. (March 1, 2021 at 2:06 PM).

• So, it is possible to run Kodi over Armbian without X11? What is the difference with LE?

You can run Kodi in Armbian in whatever way you want. But Kodi alone won't help you, you have to patch ffmpeg and kernel in order to work smoothly.

Is it possible to use this images with another tv-boxes with allwinner H3 or H5, if they are not in the list of supported models ?

If the box is similar HW wise to one of the supported boards then yes. But that's not something I would rely on. There is no way to tell.

the file is read-only. how do i edit? Tried via SSH

Put SD card to PC and then you can edit file in whatever way you want. You can also run mount -o remount,rw /flash if you want to edit file via ssh.

U-Boot not found. Please update current installation with board specific update or image first.

That will be fixed soon. Problem is that image can be build in two ways and one is not supported by installation script.

my Pine H64 continue to freeze on a regular basis. As soon as it is idle for some hours, it freeze. No message in log, that's weird. I installed armbian on it and I ran a lot of stress test witout issue so it's not an hardware issue. I don't know what's the problem...

I'll test with my board, but no promises, such bugs are hard to analyze.

I try to test I little my Orange pi PC and it freeze during image caching.

Nothing in the log. Enable debug logging in Kodi settings to get much more verbose output. Use pastekodi command to include system logs.