Nightly images for A64, H3, H5, H6 and R40 boards

• CEC itself yes, but maybe "turn on by CEC signal" isn't? My TV has this option and it works with OPi 3.

I have an LG TV I think it supported power on via CEC. It worked with libreelec on RPi 3, I will try that again. However, that ist not my actual problem. The problem is the following:

The screen stays black if Libreelec (OPi H6) boots without TV turned on. So I need to manually turn on the TV before booting Libreelec, otherwise I have a black screen. The HDMI connection, however, does seem to work to some degree because even when the screen is black using the remote control I can hear the typical Kodi sounds via the TV.

• I have an LG TV I think it supported power on via CEC. It worked with libreelec on RPi 3, I will try that again. However, that ist not my actual problem. The problem is the following:

The screen stays black if Libreelec (OPi H6) boots without TV turned on. So I need to manually turn on the TV before booting Libreelec, otherwise I have a black screen. The HDMI connection, however, does seem to work to some degree because even when the screen is black using the remote control I can hear the typical Kodi sounds via the TV.

It's definitely the same as what I discovered.

If the hdmi line seems not active to some extent (maybe line termination?) during boot up only cec and audio comes life after the connection comes, no more video until reboot with active hdmi (in your case = TV is on, in my case = TV is plugged to the HDMI cable). In my opinion it somehow points to some phy initialisation, that if failing during power up, is never properly redone on hot-plug detection. As it affects my H3 and your H6 maybe something more generic??

• Well, my experience is opposite. I often leave TV (LG B8) turned off and only power on SBC (doesn't matter if A64, H3 or H6). When Kodi starts, TV turns on and image is what you would expected - Kodi GUI and resolution is 4K. I heard that some devices disable DDC when they're powered off. If that's what your TVs do, then your situation is (almost) expected. Although hearing sound would suggest otherwise. Provide Kodi debug log and dmesg output and I'll check if there is anything which would explain behaviour you observed. Even better, add "drm.debug=0x1f" to extlinux.conf and get that dmesg output.

• Well, my experience is opposite. I often leave TV (LG B8) turned off and only power on SBC (doesn't matter if A64, H3 or H6). When Kodi starts, TV turns on and image is what you would expected - Kodi GUI and resolution is 4K. I heard that some devices disable DDC when they're powered off. If that's what your TVs do, then your situation is (almost) expected. Although hearing sound would suggest otherwise. Provide Kodi debug log and dmesg output and I'll check if there is anything which would explain behaviour you observed. Even better, add "drm.debug=0x1f" to extlinux.conf and get that dmesg output.

As mentioned before on my Samsung 1080p tv this only happens when hdmi cable unplugged while booting and later plugged in. You tell then the h3 defaults to a 4k signal? That would explain why sound is ok but picture not. As to the cec issues here i can't compete, as the x2 is not using the built in sunxi cec method but some gpio thing ( we discussed this together earlier) but cec seems not to be key to the original reporters issue. Seems like once an hdmi link comes up defaults are kept instead of being renegotiated. But i will try the dmesg tricks and post here

• You tell then the h3 defaults to a 4k signal?

Depends on TV/monitor connected. If EDID is read, then it switches to recommended resolution. If not, it switches to 1024x768 and no sound. My TV is 4K, so it will switch to that. In your case, it should switch to 1080p. EDID should be readable even if TV/monitor is turned off, but I'm not sure if that means only in standby or also when unplugged.

• If not, it switches to 1024x768 and no sound.

very strange, so I must be wrong with my ideas...

If the x2 starts without hdmi cable it is in theory fired up with 1024x768 no sound.

Once its plugged into the tv, sound comes life, but nothing picture wise.

Would dmesg and kodi log as you suggested before help? Then i can try it.

• yes, especially dmesg after you appended kernel arguments with that debug command

First the DMESG when started with TV on: dmesg_tvon.txt

DMESG with no HDMI cable plugged in: dmesg_nohdmi.txt

and now the last is the same boot as before, but with hdmi plugged in and tv switched to this hdmi port, when moving the arrow keys on the remote i can hear the clicks from the TV speakers: dmesg_nohdmi_plugin.txt

This file should be a superset of the previous :)

• lumpi Sorry, it seems dmesg overflow, that produces much more output than anticipated. Can you re-run with "drm.debug=0x16"?

I guess the oberflow comes from all those cec errors, at least for my personal taste i can't use dmesg due to those warnings without grep.

Will do logs again as soon as I'm getting at it

• lumpi Just to be clear, when TV was off, was HDMI cable connected during boot? From dmesg doesn't seems so. I think there are some issues if you connect HDMI cable after board booted, no matter if TV is on or off.

Sorry naming of the dmesgs was unclear...

My TV has no issues when off. It's always only happening when unplugged. So if started without hdmi plugged I can't just plug it in, but have to restart.

• Yeah, I imagine this could be a problem, but I'm sorry to say that this is not really a priority to fix.

That's fine with me, thanks for all the time you are dedicating to make our previously abandoned e-waste the best kodi players available!

• I have got disgusting issue on latest testing image for OPi 3: tried to change audio stream but right after Kodi (not LibreELEC) restarted. Dont know if this related to H6 image or LibreELEC itself or Kodi.

• Debug log

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.