SD card file system corrupt issue

• Its as Da Flex said earlier. Not all format/partioning tools can handle bad block recovery or remapping... Technically it lies with in the control code in the memory chip and the hardware it controls as sometimes control flags get set that not all tools have the ability to touch. usually a unix box with fdisk or gparted can fix things, but sometimes its more complicated and there just not worth the time trying to fix.

• Its as Da Flex said earlier. Not all format/partioning tools can handle bad block recovery or remapping... Technically it lies with in the control code in the memory chip and the hardware it controls as sometimes control flags get set that not all tools have the ability to touch. usually a unix box with fdisk or gparted can fix things, but sometimes its more complicated and there just not worth the time trying to fix.

Agreed, especially with the cost of SD cards now they're so low but this was more a challenge than everything else

• If on Windows, try "Minitool Partition Wizard Free" (or similar) and run full surface test.

I'm trying this this morning. I couldn't find the option to run a full surface test, so I simply am trying to wipe the disk. I'll report back. :thumbup:

• OK, it wiped the according to the screen, but now when I put into the PC it doesn't recognize the drive. I also tried putting it in a camera and said disc error, do you want to format, I clicked yes, but then it said insert card again, LOL

Well I guess I went as far as I could, thanks for all the help guys, it was greatly appreciated.

As you can see in the below pic, Windows is not recognizing the SD card, but Mini tool is and shows as wipe, but I guess it simply needs to be formatted, but Windows won't allow.

And I found the surface test which I did after I had wiped the disk, see below no errors found.

Edited once, last by DJB628 (May 15, 2019 at 12:52 PM).

• just a thought as i see your talking about a Sandisk and i have seen some from them that if your not using fat32 they don't work. not sure what format your using.

if you have a unix box i would try gparted and if your stuck with just a winblows box do as suggested and use any of the linux distro's Live version and run gparted from there.

Windows really is crap trying to format anything thats not ntfs or fat32 and even a lot of the so called speciality tools for sd-cards that run under winblows can't do certain things depending on whats wrong with the card, most of those tools still have to go down thru windows to gain control over the port and unless they have a special driver with the software have to rely on windows passing control to the hardware port.

Linux is a better way when it comes to gaining control over anything hardware wise and if the cards got some weird corrupted block on it theres not much in windows that will touch it. thats why the cheap tools are free... most of the more expensive recovery tools have specialized drivers that force windows to hand over hardware control of the device for low level functions.

try as DaFlex suggested and use gparted and if that don't fix it pitch the card as your time's probably worth more then the card is.

• i agree... in the way back days i used to do a lot of hardrive recovery and even then windows sucks when it comes to low level stuff, i used to have proprietary cards for the pc that the drive would clip into that way windows only contolled the embedded controller on the card that actually did all the recovery stuff... When linus 1st released his kernel and slackware appeared i moved off windows and worked in linux as it very rarely requires any external hardware to do the recovery work. gparted and straight command line fdisk usually work fine.

in this case i thinks it a matter of not getting beat by the card... lol... sometimes one just wants to know no matter how much time it costs ya... i am the same and hate when something stumps me but your right cards are so cheap these days it really isn't worth ones time anymore.

• Have you tried formatting in mini tool after the wipe?

Even a good card won't work after mtpw has wiped it - until it's reformatted.

No I did not. I'll have to check for the format option. I guess thays why windows didn't recognized the SD card LOL

Edited once, last by DJB628 (May 15, 2019 at 11:23 PM).

• Have you tried formatting in mini tool after the wipe?

Even a good card won't work after mtpw has wiped it - until it's reformatted.

Trogggy, I've looked into formatting with MTP, but when I highlight the disc 2 SD card, the format in the partition tab is greyed out. Is there something else I need to do first. Do I need to rebuild the partition, if you can tell exactly what is needed, I'll give it a go., cheers

• when I highlight the disc 2 SD card, the format in the partition tab is greyed out. Is there something else I need to do first.

I just tried an old 512MB sd card with MPTW and it looks as though it's behaved differently to what you see. When I wiped the whole card all partitions were deleted, and right clicking on the unallocated space gave me an option to create new ones. If it were me I'd now be trying g-parted.

• I looked and downloaded the G-Parted ISO to my Windows PC, but this seems more complicated that I need right now, I have not installed, but I have no clue what to do with this application, LOL

• G-Parted is a linux application. The idea is you put the iso on a cd or usb drive and boot your pc from that. No windows involved (once you've made your media).

• G-Parted is a linux application. The idea is you put the iso on a cd or usb drive and boot your pc from that. No windows involved (once you've made your media).

Got it, too much work for what it's worth, but thanks.

Weird how it says card is fine and no issues but yet still an issue, LOL

Edited once, last by DJB628 (May 17, 2019 at 5:21 PM).

• While I have you guys here, on another note. When I did my first Kodi Tar backup with the LE program config app, the first backup was 1Gig about, I did 2nd backup this month and that one was 200Mb's which is weird. I did not change anything, or delete or add anything, yet the tar file is much smaller. I could of sworn the first back up asked all the settings I wanted to back up and I check marked them, but for the life of me I don't see that now. Am I missing something here ??