Buffering issues over wired ethernet

• This is a new setup. Watched several movies last night and was rather surprised to have buffering problems. Sometimes the video would play fine for an hour or more. Sometimes it would buffer every 30 seconds.

Videos are stored on an unRaid server connected via Gbit network. Not sure if this problem is really directly related to the Chromebox or not. Could use some guidance as far as where to start troubleshooting and how to setup LibreELEC for best network performance.

• Thanks. It's difinately a buffer issue. Playback was very nice. No stuttering at all with 23.976 frame rate. I found what you are talking about with advancedsettings.xml. Not sure what the best setting is, but I'll play around with it tonight and see if increasing the buffer size will solve this.

Thanks again for all your help so far.

Edited once, last by wgstarks (September 28, 2016 at 4:45 PM).

• Try testing your network with the Iperf3 tool (available via the Network tools addon). Not sure if you can install/use iperf3 on your UNraid machine.
    Or maybe the overall bitrate was so high that it was too much for the Chromebox CPU/GPU?

i doubt very much that refresh rates are the cause for the buffering, or Audio/Video sync. If that were the case, problems would arise immediately, not after an hour of video play. You will need to adjust your settings in the Video section of Kodi.

If problems should continue, bypass your AV receiver and connect your Chromebox directly to your television. See if that changes anything.

Edited once, last by Klojum (September 28, 2016 at 5:00 PM).

• Try testing your network with the Iperf3 tool (available via the Network tools addon). Not sure if you can install/use iperf3 on your UNraid machine.
    Or maybe the overall bitrate was so high that it was too much for the Chromebox CPU/GPU?

i doubt very much that refresh rates are the cause for the buffering, or Audio/Video sync. If that were the case, problems would arise immediately, not after an hour of video play. You will need to adjust your settings in the Video section of Kodi.

If problems should continue, bypass your AV receiver and connect your Chromebox directly to your television. See if that changes anything.

I'll take a look at this. Thanks. Is the network tools addon in the Kodi repo?

• It also happens to me. I solved this by unplugging and plugging back in the rj45 in the switch...wierd but true...
    Maybe its related to network traffic and the way as libreelec deals with it?

Cause it happens on both my machines. Nothing in windows pc tough.

(all files are stored in a synology 1813+)

Edited once, last by djhifi (September 30, 2016 at 3:47 PM).

• I think I have solved my problems by adjusting the network settings in advancedsettings.xml. Set to buffer all videos and increased the buffer size. No more buffering issues so far. Haven't had a chance to do any testing with iperf3 yet.