"no signal" with xbian kernel on imx

• Hello,

I recently tried LibreELEC on my CuBox-i2ex with the xbian-4.4 kernel vpeter provided.
    Whenver I boot I can see the uBoot screen and after this there is no more signal on HDMI output.
    It makes no difference whether I use an own-compiled version or the "official" 6.95.2 from LibreELEC website.
    All of the processes start in the background as usually, even kodi starts (I can hear music, yeah :cool: )

dmesg-output: NBNR

When using the 3.14 kernel everything works as expected.

Anyone has an idea? Do you need other logs?

Thanks a lot in advance

• i had the same issue. wich TV do you have? my plasma TV it's a little old so
    it's not full HD. ony 1280x720 resolution expected(samsung plasma). so i tried some times to plug
    and unplug the cubox until i could have a screen. after i got screen went to system and changed
    the resolution rapidly as i could. you have to be aware that if you choose 1280x720 you will have to
    unselect the option in video settings "to resolve resolution each boot", otherwise you will get
    a black screen with no posiblity to see something anymore.
    the easy solution is to choose from resolution 1980x1080. in this case my plasma do a downgrade
    and LE with kodi + kernel 4.4 boots always.
    hope i could help you.

(edit, i use a cubox pro)

Edited once, last by danielk (April 23, 2016 at 10:34 AM).

• Thank you for your reply, danielk.
    I have a Optoma HD131xe. It is a Full HD projector.
    I even tried to change resolution on command line but this did not help.

One strange thing I noticed:
    With the new kernel I have a lot more supported resolutions than with the new one.
    "cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes" shows 49 different resolutions, with the old kernel I only had 13.

• vpeter: From the specs I think the only difference is the CPU and the amount of RAM. GPU and all the other things should be identical.
    danielk: Yes, I already tried that, makes no difference.

When I look at dmesg now while the device is up and running I repeatedly see:
    [132121.088243] imx-hdmi-audio imx-hdmi-audio: HDMI Video is not ready!
    [132121.088264] imx-hdmi-audio imx-hdmi-audio: ASoC: can't open platform imx-hdmi-audio: -22
    [132121.665534] imx-ipuv3 2400000.ipu: warning: wait for bg sync eof timeout
    [132121.668982] imx-ipuv3 2400000.ipu: IPU Warning - IPU_INT_STAT_10 = 0x00080000
    [132121.958719] imx-ipuv3 2400000.ipu: warning: wait for bg sync eof timeout
    [132122.325205] imx-ipuv3 2400000.ipu: warning: wait for bg sync eof timeout

Does this help someone and can point me in the direction to troubleshoot this?
    Anyone else out here with a CuBox-I2 and can confirm this kernel works on this device?

Thank you all for your support

• When pulling the HDMI cable and afterwards plug it in again following messages can be seen in dmesg:

[169400.597486] mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: same edid
    [169400.597504] mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: mxc_hdmi_cable_connected reports HDMI mode
    [169465.527496] mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: same edid
    [169465.527515] mxc_hdmi 20e0000.hdmi_video: mxc_hdmi_cable_connected reports HDMI mode

So it recognizes the projector and it seems to have some edid. But again no signal on HDMI out.
    [hr]
    me again, sorry for so many posts

I found a resolution that works:
    V:1152x864p-75

When echoing this to "/sys/class/graphics/mode" I get a picture. The weird thing is that the projector shows a resolution of 1156x864.
    Where does these 4px come from?
    I think all of these non-working resolutions might have this issue and my projector cannot sync with these invalid resolutions...

Edited once, last by m.hueske (April 24, 2016 at 9:27 PM).

• When I was trying to get this kernel running with LVDS display with resolution 1366x768 it was no-go. After lot of time I got info that resolution must be set by module 8. And 1366 is not. When I changed to 1360 it works like a charm.

• I am sorry I don't clearly understand in what direction you want to point me.
    In the past with the old kerne I chose 1920x1080 (both values work with module 8). But now with the xbian kernel I get no signal when chosing this resolution.
    As I tried all of the available resolutions I found out that 1152x864 is working (also module 8 works). But when choosing this my projector shows a resolution 1156x864.
    This seems very strange to me. Why is it 4px more?

• Why is it 4px more?

Sadly I don't know. I choosed this kernel as it is more modern. But support is limited. That's also the reason why this build is community based and not official. If it works for someone: great. If not: not sure if we can fix the issue.

• OK, thank you vpeter
    I can completely understand this, just wanted to let you know about this issue (I think you are currently the only dev supporting imx). There was chance you might have an idea how to fix this
    I will try to investigate on this a little bit further.

I already know from this forum and from SR forum that I am not the only one experiencing this issue.
    @All of you reading this and having the same issue I would be interested in output from:
    1. dmesg
    2. cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes

Thank you all

• i would like to help, but don't now hot to do it.
    short explansion?

• I think I had this issue.

I update Libreelec from Openelec and I doesn't have any signal, and even I didn't have it running for some reason. I decieded to install it clean and I have no signal. I finally rollback to OpenElec (with the subsecend pain of have to use the backup and lose some grafical configurations (I don't know why)).

I'll try to install clean libreelec this evening on a spare card I have. Yes, I know, this is that I should have done in the beginning, but everyone told me that update would be as easy as just drop the .tar on the update folder. LIARS! :(

• everyone told me that update would be as easy as just drop the .tar on the update folder. LIARS!

You do know imx6 image is community build? Which means not everything will ever work for everybody.

Sometimes I'm just wondering why did I even touch imx6 project in le... Maybe would be better to just leave it die!

Edited once, last by vpeter (April 27, 2016 at 8:49 AM).

• Yes, I know, this is that I should have done in the beginning, but everyone told me that update would be as easy as just drop the .tar on the update folder. LIARS!

Calm down you fool and be happy that any developer is doing this hard work for imx6-devices at the moment. Because if not, in future you haven't any signal on your device at all.
    [hr]

Sometimes I'm just wondering why did I even touch imx6 project in le... Maybe would be better to just leave it die!

Don't be so angry because of such idiots. You are just doing fantastic work. Your images for imx6 works like charm for me.....

Edited once, last by Hagba20 (April 27, 2016 at 9:03 AM).

• Calm down you fool and be happy that any developer is doing this hard work for imx6-devices at the moment. Because if not, in future you haven't any signal on your device at all.
    [hr]

Don't be so angry because of such idiots. You are just doing fantastic work. Your images for imx6 works like charm for me.....

I was just kidding!!!! where is your sense of humor?

I also thing you are doing a gread gread job!!! I'm sorry if you didn't get the pun. (I should have expalined it right away).
    [hr]

Calm down you fool and be happy that any developer is doing this hard work for imx6-devices at the moment. Because if not, in future you haven't any signal on your device at all.

You are'nt really friendly. I know what you are talking... but you also have to think that one decides to update its devive (because people say that it isn't going to be any problem) and when they do find out that it doesn't longer works. It's not really good feeling. I have to be up late to roll back changes.

Anyway, I'm really thankful to the developers of this project for their work. It's really awesome

Edited once, last by lpuerto (April 27, 2016 at 10:27 AM).

• To resolve issue with no signal some logs are required from ssh console

Code
    dmesg | pastebinit
    pastebinit /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

If ssh not enabled yet it must be enabled with uEnv.txt file on first partition.
    It is visible on Windows or mounted on Linux.
    Current line

Code
    mmcargs=setenv bootargs 'boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=32 dmfc=3 consoleblank=0'

add ssh to it

Code
    mmcargs=setenv bootargs 'ssh boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 quiet video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=32 dmfc=3 consoleblank=0'

After reboot ssh should work.

• i would like to help, but don't now hot to do it.
    short explansion?

Sorry for the late answer. You should do it like vpeter just explained: ssh into the box and give us the output from these commands, please.

vpeter: I am wondering if xbian project had similar issues, maybe we can involve mk01 here? Do you have chance to contact him? I only know him from github.
    Thank you.