Lenovo M72e (tiny) - Error 1962: No operating system found

• Lenovo 4004-M7U (M72e - Tiny)
    Firmware modes: UEFI and BIOS
    HDD Modes: AHCI and IDE

Built LE installation media (USB) using tar.gz and Rufus successfully. From installation logs, appears the partitions /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 were written successfully and kernal was written to /dev/sda1. Setup bootloader with boot labe = System and disk label = Storage created (however, screen too small to see all of message). After restart, get error message :

Error 1962: No Operating Systme found, and then stuck in restart loop.

FYI: Was using OpenElec on this same system and had issues after attempting to update. (Same exact error message and successful install).
    Found LE and attempted to use it and got message as above. From reading I understand OE is no longer active so I would like to get LE working. In addition, I have installed Kodibuntu onto the system and Win10 without issue so I don't believe it to be a hardware issue. Again, OE was working but I want to do a clean installation to upgrade.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

• Thanks for the response Klojum. I downloaded 7.90.005 Alpha, and installation appeared to be successful. Upon restart, still same error. I created this USB using the LibreELEC USB Creation Tool.

The previous working OpenELEC was Generic.x86_64-6.0.3.img. I am not able to get that version to work any longer either. Same exact symptoms as using LibreELEC.

• Hi.

Any progress on this? I'm having the exact same issue, and it is really annoying :-/ I tried 3 different M72e, and LibreElec doesn't really seem to like them. Two of the ones I tried has wifi built in, which is really neat for a Kodi box.

Originally two of them were terminals, one of them sporting 8GB SSD, 4GB ram and a Celeron processor (3267-1B3), the other one 4GB ram, a mechanical disk and some Pentium CPU (4004-LPG). Both would be perfect for LibreElec JEOS for Kodi, but they just will not boot after install. Tried a third M72e Core i3, 4GB ram, SSD (3264-CR4) - same problem.

Also tried a M73, core i5, 8GB ram, SSD (10AY-S04T00), and it works perfectly. Seems like there might be something about the M72e motherboard, that the Linux distro doesn't like :P

• Built LE installation media (USB) using tar.gz

If you both were using the tar.gz that could have been the issue. For installation you will need the img.gz, not the tar!!

So please try:

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.2.img.gz

and write that to the USB thumb drive and try to boot from that. Don´t unpack that file. Use our installation tool and select that file manually. Even with the installation tool, it shouldn´t be necessary to download that file first. It will do it for you if you select the specific build and if you hit the "Download"-Button.

But both ways will work. Only that tar-file shouldn´t be used to create an installing media.

• I have this exact problem. Was there ever a solution?

As mentioned before, I have a few different variations of the m72e, I'll have another go at installing LibreElec when I get back to work.

I dont think there is a solution at the moment, nor any explanation on why this is not working.

• As mentioned before, I have a few different variations of the m72e, I'll have another go at installing LibreElec when I get back to work.

I dont think there is a solution at the moment, nor any explanation on why this is not working.

Any luck on getting this to work?

• In BIOS/UEFI look for "Boot override" you might see your drive with different labels like "UEFI" or "LEGACY" or something else, try booting from all of them to see if one works.

• After upgrading the BIOS, can you try with these settings in BIOS.

• Secure Boot [Disabled] (and delete security keys)
    • CSM [Enabled]
    • Boot Mode [Auto]
    • Boot Priority [Legacy first]
    • Rapid Boot [Disabled]

Might be a good idea to run "Gparted" from a live USB stick to delete all partitions before installing LibreELEC.

Edited once, last by vitorp07 (January 25, 2017 at 1:11 AM).

• I'm downloading the latest 7.95.1 build to see if that makes a difference.
    Also downloading the boot-repair-disk as this seems to have fixed the issue for some.
    Will return with an update.
    [hr]
    The BETA build didn't work.
    Updating the BIOS didn't work.
    Still waiting on the boot-repair-disk download to complete.
    [hr]
    boot-repair didn't fix it either.
    Will try another hard drive tomorrow.

Edited once, last by SaulGoodman (January 25, 2017 at 3:24 AM).