I'm the original who opened this. Was surprised that it got this much attention. Great work on the work-around and the subsequent permanent fix. Seeing that my Kodibuntu install is no longer working, I decided to give libreelect another go and still got the same issue with the most current build. and remembered this post.

So now I am in process of updating the BIOS of my unit to see if that indeed fixes the issue. The BIOS update as mentioned by junkyarddoug was just released on 2017-04-03. So hopefully this will fix it for good.

Sooooo, I updated the BIOS and recreated boot stick from tool and got same issue. BIOS is now current as of 2017-03-28. I will have to try the work-around as posted by SaulGoodman

Lenovo 4004-M7U (M72e - Tiny)
    Firmware modes: UEFI and BIOS
    HDD Modes: AHCI and IDE

Built LE installation media (USB) using tar.gz and Rufus successfully. From installation logs, appears the partitions /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 were written successfully and kernal was written to /dev/sda1. Setup bootloader with boot labe = System and disk label = Storage created (however, screen too small to see all of message). After restart, get error message :

Error 1962: No Operating Systme found, and then stuck in restart loop.

FYI: Was using OpenElec on this same system and had issues after attempting to update. (Same exact error message and successful install).
    Found LE and attempted to use it and got message as above. From reading I understand OE is no longer active so I would like to get LE working. In addition, I have installed Kodibuntu onto the system and Win10 without issue so I don't believe it to be a hardware issue. Again, OE was working but I want to do a clean installation to upgrade.

Any assistance would be appreciated.