LibreELEC 9.0.1 x86_64 - After a few days KODI becomes laggy / unreponsive

Linux Kernel Version: 4.19.23

Kodi Version: 18.1

forum.libreelec.tv/core/attachment/5095/

Within the past month, I have upgraded from LE 8.2.5 t0 9.0.1. Since then. I have noticed that after 3-4 days of uptime, the KODI UI becomes laggy, and then completely unresponsive. I attempt to SSH into the system, but I cannot get to the CLI. In order to return the system to normal operations, I need to physically power off the machine. After a reboot, the server works fine for a few days until the process needs to be repeated.

TOP output from a screen shot, but I had to wait a few minutes for the SSH session to establish and TOP to run.

Logs Attached.

log-2019-04-07-22.45.00.zip

• Official Post

Perhaps LibreELEC Generic has a memory leak somehow. /shrug

Install a clean & new setup of LibreELEC, install no add-ons, and let it idle for 3 days. Then check.

• You didn't list your hardware or network specs. You should post your logs to a pastebin site, not here.

LibreELEC packages up all of the relevant log files (including Kodi logs, kodi crashes, and hardware information) into a handy archive. I assumed that the purpose of that is to be able upload the archive here, instead of linking to several pastebins, or saving the support archive to a dropbox and then adding another link. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of these log files and that ability to upload attachments to this forum?

• Hardware specifications:

CPU: Core i3-6100

RAM: 4GB

Graphics: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530

Network: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Storage: 1 TB Western Digital SATA 5400 RPM

Updated Logs:

# paste /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

http://ix.io/1fjs

# dmesg | paste

http://ix.io/1fjv

• There is something seriously wrong with the way Kodi manages memory (at least the x86_64 Linux version). I reported a similar issue here. The only addons I use are VDR and VNSI.

MALLOC_MMAP_THRESHOLD_=131072 make things somewhat better but it is not a proper solution.

• There is something seriously wrong with the way Kodi manages memory (at least the x86_64 Linux version).

I think so too... Never had problems with older hardware and older libreelec (or openelec), i remember machine was up and running like forever until i wanted to power off for some reason. New versions have a max life not more than 4-5 days of always increasing memory use, before hang and become unresponsive. I have added 8 giga RAM ( DDR4 ), did not help at all ( now system hangs when ram usageis about 40-50%

Question: How can i test your suggestion? I do not see a kodi.conf file, do i need to create one and add this line?

• Too soon to speak about memory and hangs, BUT, it LOOKS LIKE your solution has fixed for me another problem

discussed in Intel forum here https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0d50p00004doxphsar/libreelec-graphics-error-nuc-7pjyh?language=en_us

and also discussed in Kodi forums here LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0)

I have not applied the solution proposed in those topics as i did not care much about those artifacts at the top of the screen ( they did not bother me since they are never visible during video playback)

Maye LE guys should take a look at those problems too before the new release.

• Too soon to speak about memory and hangs, BUT, it LOOKS LIKE your solution has fixed for me another problem

It couldn't possibly solve that problem. The artifacts in the upper part of the screen can be easily fixed by disabling Intel's useless power saving feature called FBC.

mount -o remount,rw /flash

nano /flash/syslinux.cfg

and add i915.enable_fbc=0 to APPEND boot=

e.g.:

Code
    APPEND boot=UUID=5CA6-42E1 disk=UUID=16d1002a-d80a-49ba-a930-a09f0d426664  quiet i915.enable_fbc=0
  • Looks like the problem may be caused by a memory leak that was introduced in version 1.15 of the Plex Media Server addon. The investigation continues.

I have downgraded my Plex Media Server running on LibreELEC to version 1.14.1.548, and the environment has been much more stable ever since.

• I have downgraded my Plex Media Server running on LibreELEC to version 1.14.1.548, and the environment has been much more stable ever since.

I've actually found that to not be true in my case. My RPi 3 with LibreElec 9.01 will run again uninterrupted for over a week so far with kodi in a stopped stated but PMS 1.15.4.919 running. If I reverse that and keep Kodi running but stop the PMS process which I run as a service not in docker my RPi will hang within 48 hours each time even with Kodi just being idle.